Cruisair AC units and the cooling water pumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sangraal

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ursa Major
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54
I have 4 AC units for 4 zones but only 1 sea water pump. The pump provides sufficient water for all of the units and was replaced at the end of the last AC season. The pump appears to be controlled by the condenser units however with multiple units this seems complex. We are ending up with the biggest unit for the salon tripping out on high pressure when the water pump is shutdown. (not seeing any cooling water).
Is it reasonable to have the seawater pump run all the time we want some or all of the AC units working? The pump motor is rated for continuous use. I have read all the manuals I can find and don’t see any options but perhaps there is a software solution or more likely a member of the forum has the answer.

Are there other ways to achieve running the sea water pump on demand?

The sea water pump is controlled by a relay panel that is fed from each condensing unit. 1, 2, 3, or 4 A/Cs will power the pump. The raw water pump has to be running if one or more A/Cs are calling for cooling. If one A/C is on but the pump is not running then there is something wrong with the wiring or the relay panel. The A/C will shut down after a few minutes of running with no water flow.

I can't really be more specific than that. Get someone to look at it who knows how multiple A/Cs on one pump works.

David

I have a relay box from Marinaire that supoosedly works with any a/c brand.

Just requires a trigger signal from any unit to turn on the pump, if all off, then it shuts down the pump.

May be advisable to retrofit a similar relay box.

The simple solution as just an on/off switch for the pump and turn it on when you turn on the A/C. That was the way my old setup was, but why run the pump if the A/C shuts off?

Last edited:
The sea water pump is controlled by a relay panel that is fed from each condensing unit. 1, 2, 3, or 4 A/Cs will power the pump. The raw water pump has to be running if one or more A/Cs are calling for cooling. If one A/C is on but the pump is not running then there is something wrong with the wiring or the relay panel. The A/C will shut down after a few minutes of running with no water flow.

I can't really be more specific than that. Get someone to look at it who knows how multiple A/Cs on one pump works.

David

David,
You describe the symptoms exactly. I will investigate further.

I have a relay box from Marinaire that supoosedly works with any a/c brand.

Just requires a trigger signal from any unit to turn on the pump, if all off, then it shuts down the pump.

May be advisable to retrofit a similar relay box.

The simple solution as just an on/off switch for the pump and turn it on when you turn on the A/C. That was the way my old setup was, but why run the pump if the A/C shuts off?

Researching the option you suggest. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom