Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Crimper

Were going be adding a Inverter Bypass and did multiple searches for crimping larger wire and after reading many threads we decided on one. I'll be giving a review once were done but that won't be for a little while. Also picked up a proper smaller terminal crimper to replace our dimple one. I admit, I gave into the peer pressure!

Initial impressions- VERY, VERY solid feeling. Definitely a well built tool, also compared to others I like that it lists the lug size on the rotating dies rather than having a sticker on the handle that's says what size lug for ex, die B. Little things like that I like. I've ordered some lugs and cable for test crimps and report back.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409706083.418216.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	32597
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: Anacortes
Country: USA
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 301
Looks like my larger set. I've done 4/0 and it's very simple.
__________________

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Somewhere
Country: , Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,864
What did you actually buy? Greenlee??

Although I have an H.D. crimper I'm always curious. If I didn't have the one I have now I would have been in the market.

Mine is an adjustable Burndy MY29 which I've had for ~ 25 yrs. That's what my distr. had, that would not cost my arm and leg.

Thinking???? of one of the FTZ units for next time.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #4
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
What did you actually buy? Greenlee??

Although I have an H.D. crimper I'm always curious. If I didn't have the one I have now I would have been in the market.

Mine is an adjustable Burndy MY29 which I've had for ~ 25 yrs. That's what my distr. had, that would not cost my arm and leg.

Thinking???? of one of the FTZ units for next time.

They're Greenlee K09-2GL. The FTZ units are great, I just likes the hexagonal crimp idea, but it don't matter neither way you can't go wrong. http://www.toolfetch.com/greenlee-k0...Fehj7AodggcA1Q
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
I think for nearly $300 it would make sense to rent that tool unless you're doing this for a living.

If you order your cable and terminals from genuinedealz.com they will attach the terminals for you for a small fee.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #6
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I think for nearly $300 it would make sense to rent that tool unless you're doing this for a living.

If you order your cable and terminals from genuinedealz.com they will attach the terminals for you for a small fee.
Well because were also going to using them for our heavy equipment business too, also you can't rent a tool when your stuck in the islands.

As to genuinedelaz making cables there's some runs that get complex and would be a PITA to measure 5 times so i dont get it wrong.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #7
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Well because were also going to using them for our heavy equipment business too, also you can't rent a tool when your stuck in the islands.

As to genuinedelaz making cables there's some runs that get complex and would be a PITA to measure 5 times so i dont get it wrong.
If you have another use for the tool it's probably a good investment.

For complex runs of expensive cable, I run a piece of heavy string or light line where the cable will go and then measure it. Use a long enough piece and you can leave the rest for a pull line for when you get the cable.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If you have another use for the tool it's probably a good investment.

For complex runs of expensive cable, I run a piece of heavy string or light line where the cable will go and then measure it. Use a long enough piece and you can leave the rest for a pull line for when you get the cable.
That's actually a great simple solution, add that to my book of tricks. Thanks!
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
That's actually a great simple solution, add that to my book of tricks. Thanks!
You're welcome. It's great when we can share useful tips.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 605
I went back and forth about buying one when we rewired our sailboat. Decided to buy it just to have for future use. Sometimes convenience trumps cost (plus my wife never complains when I buy tools, as she knows it will result in something being fixed). I'll second genuinedealz as a great source for tinned wire and heatshrink connectors. Great prices, service and shipping.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
I went back and forth about buying one when we rewired our sailboat. Decided to buy it just to have for future use. Sometimes convenience trumps cost (plus my wife never complains when I buy tools, as she knows it will result in something being fixed). I'll second genuinedealz as a great source for tinned wire and heatshrink connectors. Great prices, service and shipping.

Yeah it was an east choice for us too. I use genuinedealz for my lugs and get wire from a place called Pacer.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
Guru
 
Moonstruck's Avatar
 
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,848
Marine Wiring, Boat Cable and Electrical Genuinedealz.com These folks have simplified my life. No longer is the right size, right length, right color, or right terminal a problem, they are very reasonably priced. Plus the ship quickly. This from a very satisfied customer.
__________________
Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
TF Site Team
 
Bay Pelican's Avatar
 
City: Chicago, IL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,781
Best justification for my crimpers. I keep a small supply of cable and lugs on board. If I find corrosion, I replace the offending lug, cable without hesitation. That never happened when I had to order cable and lugs.
__________________

__________________
Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012