Old 04-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Course Setter 21 Auto Pilot

I have a Course Setter 21 auto pilot by Benmar. Thanks to Sam here on the forum I now have an electronic set of manuals.

When I opened the enclosure I found the compass cylinder is filled with a fluid. I think the fluid is suppose to be there but I'm not 100% sure. The manual doesn't say anything about it but it does say that is should be mounted level. So I think the compass needs to float like a regular compass.

I have a theory on how the compass may be providing electronic signals to the auto pilot circuitry but before I dig any further I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Anyone have experience with this model?

There is a little bit more to this story. If you want to read it go to page 9, post 166 of this thread. Prairie 36 Improvements
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	75736  

FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #2
FOG
Guru

Bringing this to the surface. Hoping to get a reply from someone with experience on these systems. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You might want to contact Benmar Marine. They still provide service to their autopilots.

Benmar Marine
Old 05-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
The fluid dampa the oscillations of the compass card. years ago I refilled mine, i think it was similar. with clear mineral spirits.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #5

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
FWIW Iíve had two boats with this exact autopilot, despite being old they are rock solid reliable. Current boat course setter was dead when I bought it, Benmar repaired it for a very reasonable price.

I think these are 70ís vintage but donít know for sure.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: West Coast
I had a courseSetter 21R many boats (and many more years) ago, and ended up rebuilding it myself. As I recall, there are a series (I vaguely recall that there were 60 of them, 6 degrees apart; there may have been more, but the resolution wasn't great) of contacts around the perimeter of a compass. As the compass swings different contacts become active, allowing the "brain" to infer how far the boat had swung off course, and to then adjust accordingly. Pretty basic, but it sure beat hand steering (and made me REALLY appreciate Simrad's modern technology; actually, my happiness from going from hand steering to the CourseSetter was greater than my happiness from going from CourseSetter to really modern -- in terms of sheer course holding functionality, and disregarding all the extra features modern microprocessor based AP's offer, the CourseSetter was at least 90% as good as modern).

Anyway, the problem with my 21R was just that the contacts had become a little dirty. I polished them up and it was good as new. And from what I recall, there was no fluid in mine. I later learned that Benmar would rebuild for a couple hundred $$$, so you might check that out.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
FOG
Guru

Thanks everyone. I'm going to clean up the contacts, etc. and see if can get this operating myself. If not, I'll contact Benmar.
I have some Benmar manuals thanks to "SAM" here on the trawler forum.