Old 11-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #21
Guru

Anybody install analog converters

I'm just wondering if anyone has installed these analog to digital converters. There are two that have been discussed and I think they convert the analog engine and rpm readings to a format that can be relayed through a NMEA 2000 network and read on many of the newer Chart-plotters.

Below are two that were discussed.

Actisense EMU-1 Engine Monitoring Unit - NMEA 2000 for only $455.00 !

NoLand Engineering - RS11 V4 NMEA 2000 CANbus Engine Data Converter - Version 4 for only $270.00 !

I think this is really cool stuff but I'm honestly trying to justify the $500 to do this. Yes it's cool but necessary?

Anyway, anybody do this?
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Tim

Since I didn't have any gauges at the upper helm I considered the RS11 necessary not to mention easier to do than finding and installing old gauges. With it connected to my Lowrance MFD I can't set different alarm thresholds than the standard warning buzzer.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #23

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Tim,
I installed the Maretron EMS100 on both of my Yanmars. I did it as part of a NMEA2000 backbone install, along with the PB200 weather sensor, temp sensors in various places, tank sensors, etc.
I run Maretron's N2KView on a separate PC. The tachometer and temp numbers are worth the install alone.
It does interface with my Coastal Explorer plotter so I see the info there also.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Guru

Tom, your installation makes sense and as you say, cheaper than installing analog gauges at the upper helm.

HenryD, looks like you have plenty of room for computers and such on your helm. My only helm is the fly bridge and no room for a computer.

I'm trying to justify the $500 or so to present 4 engine parameters on my ray or garmin chart plotter. This info would be nothing that is not already displayed on analog gauges. So I'll probably pass on this. However I do like the ability to monitor all 4 engine parameter on a computer and perhaps develop a program that would alert me to any parameter that is gradually moving out of it's norm. That would require a computer hookup all the time the engines are running, not practical for me. I take engine readings once a day so I would find a problem developing.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Tom, your installation makes sense and as you say, cheaper than installing analog gauges at the upper helm.

HenryD, looks like you have plenty of room for computers and such on your helm. My only helm is the fly bridge and no room for a computer.

I'm trying to justify the $500 or so to present 4 engine parameters on my ray or garmin chart plotter. This info would be nothing that is not already displayed on analog gauges. So I'll probably pass on this. However I do like the ability to monitor all 4 engine parameter on a computer and perhaps develop a program that would alert me to any parameter that is gradually moving out of it's norm. That would require a computer hookup all the time the engines are running, not practical for me. I take engine readings once a day so I would find a problem developing.
Tim, if I am not mistaken, you can set alarm values on the Garmin 740 so no need for an extra piece of hardware to do that. That alone would make this deal worthwhile...assuming it works as advertised. Also, all of your wiring is right there....I don't think it would too terribly difficult to port over all of your analog signals to the convertor and then to the chart plotter. That is a very ignorant observation on my part.....

PS...got your email...will respond shortly.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Tampa Bay
Vessel Name: Belle Aurore
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48/53
Maretron N2KView

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Tim,
I installed the Maretron EMS100 on both of my Yanmars. I did it as part of a NMEA2000 backbone install, along with the PB200 weather sensor, temp sensors in various places, tank sensors, etc.
I run Maretron's N2KView on a separate PC. The tachometer and temp numbers are worth the install alone.
It does interface with my Coastal Explorer plotter so I see the info there also.
Henry, I'm installing a similar system except older Detroit require an Actisense EMU-1 to get engine data close enough to N2K for a Marathon connection and true conversion. I'm considering the Marathon MBB100 Black Box in the backbone so the gauge software doesn't have to compete for resources from a single PC running Navigation. When you said; " I'm running Maretron's N2KView on a separate PC" are you saying separate from your PC that's running your nav software?

Tim, not sure about the Noland but do know the Actisense (one per engine) we bought are only N2K "compatible". May not be an issue depending on your use, but to gain N2K "compliance" necessary to work on a Furuno network we are using Marathon to convert.
BelleAurore is offline   Reply With Quote