Is a control head required with a97 chart plotter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksceviour

Vessel Name
Moderation
Vessel Make
Sea Lord 35
I have a Raymarine a97 multi function display and am considering an auto pilot. The spec sheet for the a97 indicates it has 'full control and integration' with evolution auto pilots however does that mean you don't need a control head like the p70R with the a97? I've read that the head is required with the e series plotters.

Believe you need the head, the MFDs just can control it, not be the brains of it.

Rats, that's what I figured. Thanks guys.

You only need the head to configure it. You can engage it without the head from the MFD or remote (I've had to do that when the head went Tango Uniform). The brains aren't in the head, they are in the course computer. That leaves open the possibility of borrowing a head to do the commission/configuration, however you really are going to want the head to make any changes and adjustments.

Ahh, that's a better explanation. Thanks. I could put the head at one station then and leave the plotter at the other to have two station control.

Yes you can. I'd recommend the remote too - very useful sometimes. For example you can sit on the bow and dodge the lumber in the water in the PNW.

The p70r is no longer required including configuring the AP providing you have the latest updates.

I have the a97 with the Evolution AP. Great setup.

John

You will want at least one control head on the boat. Not all functions can be performed through the MDF.

Oops! I have to back off that statement. I haven’t seen the latest software update for the A97.

You will want at least one control head on the boat. Not all functions can be performed through the MDF.

As I said in previous post you no longer need the control head to configure and run AP. You may be correct that there are a few functions that still can not be used without the control head. The only power boat function that I'm not sure of is patterns as I have never tried using them. There could also be some sailboat only functions that only work with head. I'll have to check on patterns next time I'm on boat.

John

The p70r is no longer required including configuring the AP providing you have the latest updates.

I have the a97 with the Evolution AP. Great setup.

John

That's what I wanted to hear! So you need the EV Sensor, appropriate pump and Control Unit plus the cabling kit correct? That will bring the price down.

My a97 is a little over a year old.

That's what I wanted to hear! So you need the EV Sensor, appropriate pump and Control Unit plus the cabling kit correct? That will bring the price down.

My a97 is a little over a year old.

That is correct. The control head and rudder indicator are no longer needed to configure and run system.

You can upgrade the software in the a97 for free, anytime. Raymarine has become quite a progressive company since the Flir takeover.

I'd opt for the rudder indicator anyway. It isn't that expensive and the rudder angle is a good thing for you (and the course computer) to know.

Back
Top Bottom