Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Compass, what stinking compass.

How many of use a magnetic compass for navigation. Seems to me they can only tell you which way your bow is pointed.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:03 AM   #2
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I use COG.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a couple, one on both FB and PH just rarely use them, since we have a butt load of electronics that all need some use.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. More to the point, how many have a magnetic compass that is accurate? When was the last time anyone had their compass adjusted or know how to correct a compass while underway? I use it for rough navigation. For highly accurate direction I defer to the Admiral.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
My boat came equipped with one located in such a way as to be useless while operating. I scratched my head and considered an alternate location but that's as far as I've got. Find it pretty useless in the Delta.

I do however have a handy compass in my binoculars but admit to being clueless as to their accuracy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Unless all your cruising is in a river or a smaller lake...I cannot believe anyone would be without one. When (not if) electronics go down, you can navigate with compass and depth sounder even in the dark
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Till I put radar on the trawler...or still on my assistance towing vessel, I use a compass for turning at night or low vis. GPS often responds slowly enough in very tight quarters you can overshoot real easy in a sharp turn. A compass doesn't have to be accurate to use it in this mode...it's really just for turning the appropriate number of degrees to the new course.

I do adjust them with the GPS now...very easy...yes I've heard all the oldtimer arguments why it doesn't work...but I'm using "modern thinking" so it works just fine....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I will sometimes use mine to track a straight course but otherwise it's the chart plotter that's used for navigation.

Most of my cruising is on "rivers and small lakes" (the AICW).
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I use a compass for turning at night or low vis. GPS often responds slowly enough in very tight quarters you can overshoot real easy in a sharp turn. A compass doesn't have to be accurate to use it in this mode...it's really just for turning the appropriate number of degrees to the new course.
+1

Couldn't imagine being out at night, in the fog, torrential down pour, or heavy snow fall (that will never happen again anyway ) were visibility might be only a few boat lengths without a GOOD non electronic compass.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Guru

hmmmmm...which one is more accurate for a straight line???
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
We have one at the lower helm, I admit I seldom even take a look at it except to dust it off. It is good to have in the unlikely event we lose electronics way, way, out in the Gulf I know we can point her North or East and run into land eventually. We do carry two handheld GPS which should take care of things barring a huge GPS blackout maybe more likely now the way foreign affairs are going.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #12

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Old habits die hard. I use mine all the time. I no longer plot manually with paper charts, rather I take the course from the GPS & steer entirely by compass. No particular reason other than it is more comfortable.

Your right about keeping correction charts & finding a pro for swinging them, it's a dying art. There used to be a fellow here that was exceptional and would do it for $50.00 but by the time you got back to the dock you had to restock your beer fridge. Quite a thirsty chap. Was a time when most surveyors offered this service.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Take a lightning strike and then the compass gets pretty useful!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
Guru

A compass can only bring you back on heading....unless you are actively plotting set/drift...a course deviation indicator can tell you how far you are drifing off and what to steer to get back on your trackline instantaneously. If you use both then I can relate...but my habits have evolved to chartplotter based though I can still do much of the other in case of emergency from years of practice.

If you don't care about the extra time and distance that's OK with me...I just go slow enough both are precious, plus it saves fuel.

That's usually why I let autopilot do it for me as he's WAY more attentive than me...
Old 03-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I find it much easier to steer by compass in thick fog. Crossed half of Dixon Entrance in the fog. Had the GPS on of course (and radar) but to steer a straight course the compass was a better tool. It's one of those things you've got to get the hang of too. I considered it a challenge and a good thing to know. Gotta watch it constantly though.

Whenever visibility disappears (or looks like it may) I use the compass as a reference point. If all else fails I have the ability to continue on the course that I was on. Sometimes I make a note on paper of the course so I can always return to it w the compass.

I'm fortunate enough to have a compass w just the right amount of stability. The compass I have is the only really useable compass I've used.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #16
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Sailing along the south coast of PR at night both GPS units lost their signal. Using the compass was the only way to continue until the signals returned. Would have been totally screwed without a compass.

Sailing in dense fog a week or so ago, a friend's chartplotter decided to do a reset. he didn't know about using the compass and ended up going in circles in some very marginal water until he got the plotter going again.

Wouldn't leave home without one,

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
Guru

in open water a compass is OK to follow a heading you have been using...but many times in confined waters a heading will take you aground as fast as being lost unless you have accurate set and drift or are navigating by RADAR.

Radar in my operations is the next best tool after a compass for making turns in confined areas and low vis.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #18
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I navigate with the GPS but steer by the compass, if that makes any sense as stated. I use both.
So basically, I always use my compass. Adjusting you heading with a crab angle is no different with a compass than a GPS. I do it because I am comfortable with it. I'm sure I could come up with lots of reasons to use it as not - maybe.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I navigate with the GPS but steer by the compass, if that makes any sense as stated. I use both.
So basically, I always use my compass. Adjusting you heading with a crab angle is no different with a compass than a GPS. I do it because I am comfortable with it. I'm sure I could come up with lots of reasons to use it as not - maybe.
Probably the most important issue at hand......especially those with plenty of experience to know it works over a variety of situations.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #20

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
This one is from a chart of my boating backyard, one of many in the area ...

Everyday I use GPS/chartplotter/iPad ... still, I would not go out without a magnetic compass and paper charts of the area.