Comnav 1420 Autopilot Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbystuff

Vessel Name
Waves of Grace
Vessel Make
Universal 36
I've done a search and found a bit of information on the Comnav 1420 but I would like some input from those of you that have experience with this unit.

I have a 36' trawler that had a Benmar autopilot installed, however the electronics failed but the pump looks hardly used and works great. A local electronics supplier has offered me a stellar deal on a Comnav 1420 with two control heads.

I know Comnav has a good reputation, and the 1420 does the two things I need - steer a course or follow a route from my chart plotter. The problem is, it looks so simple I wonder if anyone has had experience with how it performs.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Comnav...........:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Had ours for 12 years and not a hick-up.

Hey Mike - I think I have seen your boat while coming and going from Tsehum Harbour.

Thanks for the feedback.

. The problem is, it looks so simple I wonder if anyone has had experience with how it performs..
It is simple and that is why it works so well! I had a ComNav 1001 on my Mainship Pilot 30 and it was the best AP I ever had. Wish my present boat had one. :blush:

Attachments

• ComNav.jpg
    ComNav.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
many commercial guys us Comnav. That is an indicator.

My 1001 has not been entirely trouble free, but anytime I have needed help or repair, they are super fast to respond and quite reasonable in price for any repairs.

Ask for Satish if you need help with system design or config, or general help.

Last edited:
PO installed a 1420 on my boat 13 years ago. Great unit. No issues for him or myself. High quality construction. Easy to use and calibrate. Holds a course very well.

It is simple and that is why it works so well! I had a ComNav 1001 on my Mainship Pilot 30 and it was the best AP I ever had. Wish my present boat had one. :blush:

I had the 2001, great units.
Was on a troller/dragger.
Ted

I just called ComNav to confirm compatibility with my current pump, didn't realize they are just across the pond from me.

Very helpful fellow on the phone, reassured me my pump would work just fine and gave me some pointers on install.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the 1420 and put it on my winter to do list.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

I had the 1001 on Volunteer and the pilot did it's job perfectly for 10 years

I second comnav units for reliability

HOLLYWOOD

I have the Si-Tex branded version - SP-70. Installed it myself about a year ago. Simple is good. Autopilots : SP-70 Handheld Autopilot System

I think this is going to be a upgrade for next year, I have Si-Tex radar & while talking with a tech during the install this year the SP-70 is what he recommended. Never thought AP would be much use on the river but after helping to deliver a couple of boats with it I have found it very useful to set a heading & not to hold the wheel & make corrections for the effects of changes in current or wind.

I also have a Sitex SP-70. Simple easy to use, does a nice job. Frees up the helm slave (ME).

I have a Comnav but no long-term experience. The surveyor was all excited when he saw it, though. They have a very good rep.

I have a 1001 now that is not working correctly. Turn it to "Pilot" and its ok for about 10 seconds then veers off hard to starboard. Thinking about taking the control panel off and sending to Comnav for updating or repairing, but really don't know if this is the problem. Is there a way to "factory reset"?

From the manual:
THE RUDDER TURNS HARD OVER TO ONE SIDE.
Check the rudder follower for correct operation.
Check the rudder drive for correct operation (i.e. sticking
relays, sticking solenoid valves, etc.).
If the rudder appears to move normally with the autopilot in
POWER STEER, but goes hard over with the autopilot in
PILOT, recheck the rudder follower and rudder drive
connections in the distribution box for correct hook-up.
Perform the dockside set-up again.

Thanks Mike, its now time to learn all about the 1001.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom