Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
RE: Commercial Chart Plotter or PC

In other words like the iMac has been for ages, you mean...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 AM   #22
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat

Exactly Peter but better.
It runs all the programs that you want and not just the little bits that Apple lets you.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #23
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

*I guess we've beat all the other topics to death, (Twins vrs singles, semi planing vrs displacement, etc.)

Now it's time for. . . The Apple IMac* Vrs* the PC*!!

Yikes!!*

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
The All-in-one PC is more of a lap top computer than a PC.* All of the PC components are contained in the LED monitor and you have a seperate full sized keyboard and mouse.* There is no CPU box.* They either free stand or can be mounted on a wall or at the helm, etc.

Larry B*

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 25th of March 2012 10:44:43 AM
*I have yet to be brave enough to purchase the new generation all in one unit. I got burned pretty bad on the first gen units that incorporated the tower into the flat screen desk stands. Fans where wimpy and had a lot of heat build up. *

I have to admit the bugs seem to have been worked out of the current generation though. Marine use in a pilothouse situation should not be a problem at all.

I assume an argument could be made that repeated poundings in heavy seas over many years could shorten the life of the unit, but I don't see that many of us going to sea in those conditions. Exception being the professional mariners here. I'd assume even they wouldn't go out very often in those conditions in a personal pleasure craft.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #25
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl

I have just installed Open CPN on my laptop and have been running it for a side by side comparison to ships Nobeltec system running on a desktop. Gps feed to the laptop is via Holux USB/GPS window mount (inside with suction cup). Most of the features are very close to Nobeltecs in ease of use. Graphics are not as clear but that may be due to my laptops graphics rather than Open Cpns program.
The biggest difference I notice is the scaling in and out. Nobeltecs is far superior with more control. Over all the Open Cpn was easy to use and accurate. I was impressed.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #26
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
As A side note, I would still have a "dedicated" chart plotter installed. The PC/Open CPN would probably be my main Nav source with the installed chart plotter as back up.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #27

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
Thanks for the advice. I'm using a lap top and a free Nav program. This should work well for me in Kalama and along the columbia river, until my cows come home and I can perhaps someday afford a fully integrated radar, chart plotter etc.
Restitution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #28

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
Sam
A PC system does just fine on the river, but I would recommend paper charts for a back-up. You will quickly get comfortable with the Aids to Navigation between Kalama and Buoy 10 and a quick glance at the paper for depths or side channels is all you will need.
We just let our Kalama slip go this month when we moved up to Olympia. I think you will enjoy the marina.
A different thread but your small anchor will do fine for fishing. We were happier with a 33# claw and lots of chain for overnights but you will usually be in 30' or less on a side-channel for that.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #29

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
By the way, Martin Cove is a nice spot for an overnight, 5 mi. upriver from Kalama. Sand Island up by St. Helen's looks nice but is usually miserable, tie up on the city dock instead.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote