Coastal Explorer to Simrad AP20?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HenryD

Vessel Name
Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Make
Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I am re-cabling the helm and want to connect the CE computer to the Simrad AP20. I am looking at the Actisense Opto-4 Serial cable and the Actisense USG-1 USB cable. Any recommendations on the most stable way to do this?

:facepalm:

I am re-cabling the helm and want to connect the CE computer to the Simrad AP20. I am looking at the Actisense Opto-4 Serial cable and the Actisense USG-1 USB cable. Any recommendations on the most stable way to do this? :facepalm:
If there's a serial port on your PC I would go with that way since it's simplest, which usually means it's stable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of what your processor box looks like. We have two of the AP 20's on our boat.

Attachments

• image-1456413259.jpg
    image-1456413259.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 133
  • image-60360196.jpg
    image-60360196.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 238
If there's a serial port on your PC I would go with that way since it's simplest, which usually means it's stable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're correct. That is how mine is done. It was done based on Simrad instructions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

Just did this diagram so it would be easier to understand. This is using the Actisense Opto-4 serial to bare wires.

Attachments

• image-2053581018.jpg
    image-2053581018.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image-3608289027.jpg
    image-3608289027.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 149
You might consider a NMEA 183 mux like the Actisense NDC4. I have found that the USB interface to CE is very stable. It also allows me to get NMEA AIS/GPS data to and from the Standard Horizon GX2150 as well as send the AIS data to a Lowrance HDS-7 and HDS-8. If you are going with a serial connection, if your PC doesn't have a real serial port, the serial to USB converters can sometimes pose a problem with drivers in Windows 7. CE recommends the Keyspan USB to serial converters, but I have had problems getting them to work on a couple of different computers. After that experience I went with the NDC4 and have been very happy with it.

Tom

Just did this diagram so it would be easier to understand. This is using the Actisense Opto-4 serial to bare wires.
Edit just realized I had the TX/RX backwards, it would go the other way. White and blue goto NMEA input RX + and RX -. Red and black goto NMEA output TX + and TX -.

Thank you all. My PC does have a serial port. I ordered an Actisense Opto-4 today, so hope to have it wired up next week.

Thank you all. My PC does have a serial port. I ordered an Actisense Opto-4 today, so hope to have it wired up next week.
Good luck! I'm not sure about the driver side. CE may be blue to she's light on that part.

Back
Top Bottom