Old 01-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Coastal Explorer iPad version (beta)

Coastal Explorer was showing off a very cool beta of their iPad version at the Seattle Boat Show. Very impressive capabilities on the iPad in that it's not a "mirror" app for the MFD but a completely functional, independent CE app that can connect to your network through a NEMO Gateway. They mentioned Android version would be coming out later.

They also have some nice new features like route collection sharing and POI markers for things like your YC outstations of fishing sports coming out in CE.

The more I use CE and get to know the company the more I lean toward PC/table based navigation.

Now if they can come up with some radar integrations it'll be a true replacement option for proprietary MFDs.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
What I would like is, the ability to drop bread crumbs along an auto pilot trip and then, punch a button to totally reverse course.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Guru

City: Friday Harbor, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
What I would like is, the ability to drop bread crumbs along an auto pilot trip and then, punch a button to totally reverse course.
Dan, CE does have a reverse course feature. You access it from the planner.
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I've used CE since they started. Really good folks. I especially like their integration with Active Captain as I can see the AC icons at a decent zoom-out level. Glad they are staying current. Over the years, they have been very generous with their upgrade policy which is really nice. I find it easier to use than OpenCPN, which means my crew doesn't wake me in the middle of their nighttime watch to ask questions.

Only feature they lack that I sorely miss is GRIB file fetch and display.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: Toad Hall
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40
Hi

What is GRIB?
Toadhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:39 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
PC & tablet navigation was the better way to navigate electronically back when stand alone GPS plotters were slow, charts had minimal detail and displays were small and hard to see in sunlight.

MFD's have come a long way. They are faster, have more memory and large displays.

But, I still prefer navigating on my laptop running Nobeltec VNS. I was a Nobeltec dealer for over 20 years and VNS was and still the easiest to use.

I started selling CE when it was introduced. It is popular with boaters switching from Nobeltec. It is more similar to the old Nobeltec VNS than the Nobeltec Time Zero.

CE doesn't try to sell upgrades and charts every few years like Nobeltec did.

Their tablet based app will be very popular.

Using a PC/laptop for radar is not that great of a feature. It works good as a display but making adjustments is not as intuitive as a real radar. Nobeltec gave me one of their PC radars for demo but I didn't use it that much. Too hard to adjust and I prefer separate displays for my electronics. The radar overlay feature was new then and at that time promising. But after using it for a while, could'nt see the benefit.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Most plotters, MFD or PC has a reverse course function.

I don't use it without some changes because I don't travel the same course coming and going. I might be traveling at the wrong side of the channel for the direction.

I make a copy of the original course, rename it and make changes to the course appropriate for the direction of travel. Which is simple to do on a PC based navigation program.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadhall View Post
Hi

What is GRIB?
Weather files. For example, OpenCPN uses SailDocs - it's a bit clunky, but you send an OpenCPN formatted email to a SailDocs email address and it returns a data email (GRIB file) that is then overplayed onto your chart to provide route planning and wx forecasting - seas, winds, etc. Uses GFS model. Pretty handy.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
PC & tablet navigation was the better way to navigate electronically back when stand alone GPS plotters were slow, charts had minimal detail and displays were small and hard to see in sunlight.

MFD's have come a long way. They are faster, have more memory and large displays.

But, I still prefer navigating on my laptop running Nobeltec VNS. I was a Nobeltec dealer for over 20 years and VNS was and still the easiest to use.

I started selling CE when it was introduced. It is popular with boaters switching from Nobeltec. It is more similar to the old Nobeltec VNS than the Nobeltec Time Zero.

CE doesn't try to sell upgrades and charts every few years like Nobeltec did.

Their tablet based app will be very popular.

Using a PC/laptop for radar is not that great of a feature. It works good as a display but making adjustments is not as intuitive as a real radar. Nobeltec gave me one of their PC radars for demo but I didn't use it that much. Too hard to adjust and I prefer separate displays for my electronics. The radar overlay feature was new then and at that time promising. But after using it for a while, could'nt see the benefit.
By far, easier to do route planning on a PC vs an MFD, even an MFD with a knob input vs touchscreen (Furuno and Simrad both have models with knob inputs). Slightly geeky, but uploading from PC to MFD is usually pretty straightforward (I'll figure my system out once she's relaunched in a few months). From there, you can groom the course underway if needed.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #10
Guru

I looked at the CE's site, looks interesting.
They dont seem to want to post the price of the basic nor upgrade.
Does someone know?
If I d/l to my computer will it also load to my iPad at no additional price?
Old 01-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: Toad Hall
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40
Thanks
Toadhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Does someone know?
$379. 10-day fully functional trial version for no charge. Lot of money. All I can tell you is they honored my original purchase 10-years after I had last used it. I think it might have been $99 to reactivate.

Lot of money. But it is a nice program. OpenCPN is free. But I find it difficult to use but many love it (probably due to free price).

https://www.rosepoint.com/coastal-explorer/download
Old 01-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #13
Guru

Year old thread on CE with mention of OpenCPN and Nobletec. Folks seem positive about CE. I have zero commercial affiliation, have used it on /off for over 15 years and like the interface and have found the long term costs are reasonable due to no upgrade fees.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...rer-36993.html
Old 01-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Does someone know?
PM me and I can give you a quote. CE has minimum advertised pricing rules for dealers so I can't post it here.

You download the software, try it for free. If you like it, I have Rose Point email you the unlock code and you pay me via PayPal.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
PM me and I can give you a quote. CE has minimum advertised pricing rules for dealers so I can't post it here.

You download the software, try it for free. If you like it, I have Rose Point email you the unlock code and you pay me via PayPal.
You are a dealer?

Can I load it both to my laptop and iPad for the same price?
Yes, I see the free week offer. I think I wil save that free offer until I am closer to needing it.

Per PayPal..... I haven't use it in years so needless to say, the probability of me remembering my password is pretty close to a negative value. LOL There is always hope.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
You are a dealer?

Can I load it both to my laptop and iPad for the same price?
Yes, I see the free week offer. I think I wil save that free offer until I am closer to needing it.

Per PayPal..... I haven't use it in years so needless to say, the probability of me remembering my password is pretty close to a negative value. LOL There is always hope.
I am a dealer.

I'm pretty sure you can but let me check with Rose Point tomorrow. I need to email them to get 2020 pricing and policy. And any promotions.

They allow 3 installs per license. I'm not sure if that includes the iPad/Android versions.
Old 01-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
I am a dealer.

I'm pretty sure you can but let me check with Rose Point tomorrow. I need to email them to get 2020 pricing and policy. And any promotions.

They allow 3 installs per license. I'm not sure if that includes the iPad/Android versions.
Thanks. Nice to know the dealer willing to provide support too.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #18

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
I am a dealer.

It would be really interesting to know. I just purchased the latest version of CE in 2018 and it would be skookum to be able to DL an android version to my tablet. I just this week was working on getting the tablet (running opencpn) configured to connect to my nemo with WIFI, but I would much prefer to keep the tablet and computer both on CE if they end up releasing an android port. Unfortunately I need to keep the android tablet around for all the other marine gadgets I seem to have acquired!!!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:

I am 99% sure this in a feature in CE already. You can take a track (your break crumbs) and convert it into a route. And once you have a route, you can follow it in either direction. That last part I'm 100% certain about as I've used in 100's of times.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:48 AM   #20
Guru

City: Vermont
I'm amazed anyone balks at the price of CE. I think it's the least expensive item in a navigation suite, and probably the most useful part. I replaced probably $6000 work of cumbersome and unreliable MFDs with CE and never looked back.

Since I'm between boats, I haven't been keeping up with Rose Point's activities, but while I had my last boat I was quite involved, helped track down a variety of obscure issues, and did alpha and beta testing on Nemo for almost 18 months before it was released. They are an awesome company, very customer focused, and one of the very few who take reported issues seriously, investigate them, and fix them promptly. Most companies do everything they can to insulate themselves from their customers, spend their effort blaming problems on other things, and never even look into or fix their own bugs.

I think this break from Windows is a huge step in the right direction. Windows has been the biggest draw back and weakness in CE, and is especially problematic with Windows 10 where it insists on doing huge updates, even if over you expensive internet connection.

Now, can I run the Andriod OS on some black box hardware like a NUC or Pi and use my large screens with a keyboard and mouse? I'd be all over that. Basically what I have been running, except slide out Windows and slide in something better.