Coastal Explorer Bahamas Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ski in NC

Technical Guru
Vessel Name
Louisa
Vessel Make
Custom Built 38
Three years ago I was in the Bahamas and bought Jeppesen C-map max charts and loaded onto my CE laptop. Found them to be ok, but not that great.

First Q: Is that the best there is? I will have along the Explorer books for both Abaco and Exumas so gots me some backup.

Second Q: I got a warning that the c-map charts were out of date. What is the way to update them? I called the 1-800 number displayed on CE and they guy that answered acted like I had two heads and said Rosepoint was responsible. I called them and being a computer idiot that I am, I got lost in the menus and yelled at my cat.

Anyone else updated the c-map stuff? No big deal if not, as I don't think they will be my primary nav source anyway.

Thanks for the link.

Sounds like the C-Map stuff I already have.

Last edited:
Get the Dodge Guide for the Abacos. The Explorer Charts are good for Exuma.

Your Garmin Chartplotter is also a great resource.

I don't have a Garmin, just a basic HP laptop running Coastal Explorer. It has such good charting for the SE USA, then I get the C-Map stuff for the Bahamas, it just is not that great. I'm good with the Explorer paper charts, just wish there was an electronic version I could run on the laptop.

Why is it not that good? How do you know?

I don't have a Garmin, just a basic HP laptop running Coastal Explorer. It has such good charting for the SE USA, then I get the C-Map stuff for the Bahamas, it just is not that great. I'm good with the Explorer paper charts, just wish there was an electronic version I could run on the laptop.

Ski, there are differences in the C-Map versions, the Explorer chart website details those differences. I use NA-M022.30. It's some out of date, but the charts on that version use the Explorer charts. Some other versions indicate "Explorer chart data" which is not as good. Fine line, but I find this C-Map version to be nearly identical to the paper charts. I also use a C-Map card in the Furuno, exactly the same charts.

I'm not concerned enough with updating for Bahamas travel, I haven't seen any discrepancies that would push me into getting spendy new charts. AFAIK, "update" = "new".

As an aside, Navionics Bahamas charts are reputed to be rife with inaccuracies. My older Maptech charts were based on "Wavy Line" admiralty charts, they suck. Explorer charts for the Bahamas enjoy a deserved reputation as the best.
Have a great time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom