Old 11-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #1
City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Clint Eastwood said it best......

"A manís got to know his limitations."

Iím a firm believer in that, especially when it comes to trying to fit my old, overweight body into tight spots where work has to be done. I can often do it, but once Iím in there I often start asking myself ďWHY IN THE HELL DIDNíT YOU HIRE SOMEONE TO DO THIS?Ē

With that thought in mind, I wanted to install a GPS/depth finder on the Whaler we just bought. Iím not familiar with the lakes around here and donít know where any of the shallow spots are. I already knew who I was going to have do the work so I did some research on what model I was going to get.

I ended up getting a Garmin 50dv model that comes preloaded with the depth charts of the inland lakes in America. The only thing left to do was contact Blue Bye You, also known as Stace. I live on the northwest end of Phoenix, BBY lives on the SE corner of Phoenix, but he agreed to come to my place and do the install so I didnít have to trailer the boat down to him.
Stace and his beautiful significant other had gotten together with GW and me for dinner about a week ago. We discussed the various models and the proís and conís and Stace agreed with my choice.

Hereís what the helm console looked like before we startedÖ.

Hereís a few shots of Stace putting the whole project together. Amazing how a guy who is taller than I am (and much younger) can fit himself into an area that I might never get out of even if I could get in thereÖ.

and hereís what the newly installed Garmin looks likeÖ..

So, a big Thank You to Stace for doing a first class install for me. I really do appreciate you coming up here to do it.

Now I canít wait to get the boat out onto one of the nearby lakes to see what the sonar display looks like.
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote