Old 02-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The "Heavy Weather" thread ties right into this one. Could those 7 lost souls on the Nina have been found or saved if they'd had SPOT or AIS? Let alone saving millions of dollars in S&R costs. Or how about the multitude of boats lost in November in and around NZ when big seas and gales unexpectedly showed up. Sailors all, and most from the US too, makes me wonder -----------.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #42
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The "Heavy Weather" thread ties right into this one. Could those 7 lost souls on the Nina have been found or saved if they'd had SPOT or AIS? Let alone saving millions of dollars in S&R costs. Or how about the multitude of boats lost in November in and around NZ when big seas and gales unexpectedly showed up. Sailors all, and most from the US too, makes me wonder -----------.
I think an EPIRB would have been the appropriate device under the circumstances. I haven't followed the story closely enough to know if they had one and whether any signal was ever picked up.

I don't think AIS would have been any help unless there were another boat in close proximity. If they were close enough for AIS, the VHF would have presumably worked too since they use the same technology.

And I don't think SPOT is any substitute for an EPIRB.

Either way, it was tragic.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While I love and trust EPIRBs...unless a hydrostatic release functions correctly or someone manually grabs and turns on the other sort...EPIRBs only work if turned on and float.

SPOT and similar devices do have the advantage that someone might have a recent position that will make the search area worth a dang.

While new and I am unfamiliar with it...there is now satellite AIS....

Satellite AIS
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #44
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Originally Posted by twistedtree
Except Furuno NaveNet 3D systems. They don't accept AIS via N2K, nor do they re-broadcast their proprietary AIS on N2K so other devices can use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yep, and so I had to buy the Furuno unit.
I have my Comnav AIS Class B showing AIS targets on my Furuno NavNet 3D. Just do it with NMEA 0183. The Furuno accepts both N2K and 0183 inputs.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Originally Posted by twistedtree
Except Furuno NaveNet 3D systems. They don't accept AIS via N2K, nor do they re-broadcast their proprietary AIS on N2K so other devices can use it.

I have my Comnav AIS Class B showing AIS targets on my Furuno NavNet 3D. Just do it with NMEA 0183. The Furuno accepts both N2K and 0183 inputs.

Uh oh another boat buck I let go into the sea unnecessarily.

Well... I guess it works though.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #46
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
. I have my Comnav AIS Class B showing AIS targets on my Furuno NavNet 3D. Just do it with NMEA 0183. The Furuno accepts both N2K and 0183 inputs.
Ditto my Simrad into NN3. But I cheated and hooked into the Maretron loop so all is NMEA 2000.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #47

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: Inspiration
Vessel Model: 420DB
Are there any reason there are no "Camino 108" and/or "AIT2000" on the list of AIS units?

I have AIS on my wishlist and trying to find the cost-efficient solution.
Alex F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F View Post
Are there any reason there are no "Camino 108" and/or "AIT2000" on the list of AIS units?

I have AIS on my wishlist and trying to find the cost-efficient solution.
Not sure what list you are referring to.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Not sure what list you are referring to.
What I meant was that from the all responses we've got from everyone, I don't recall seeing these two brands. So, I was just wondering if there's anything more than just not enough responses or folks find the other brands more as the "best package for the money"?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM   #50

So far, I have the following units on the list:

- Sitex
- EM-TRAK
- Comnav Mariner X2
- West Marine AIS 1000
- AMEC-CAMINO-108
- ACR / Nauticast-B AIS 300
- Digital Yacths AIT2000
- Raymarine

I'm trying to determine which one to get based on the difference in features.

My boat is equipped with Raymarine dual E120 MFDs.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #51
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Ours is Furuno, FA-50 I think.

-Chris
Old 03-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #52
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
So far, I have the following units on the list: - Sitex - EM-TRAK - Comnav Mariner X2 - West Marine AIS 1000 - AMEC-CAMINO-108 - ACR / Nauticast-B AIS 300 - Digital Yacths AIT2000 I'm trying to determine which one to get based on the difference in features.
I would also add the Vesper Marine XB-8000, it's loaded with features. We just ordered one to replace our crappy transceiver.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
So far, I have the following units on the list: - Sitex - EM-TRAK - Comnav Mariner X2 - West Marine AIS 1000 - AMEC-CAMINO-108 - ACR / Nauticast-B AIS 300 - Digital Yacths AIT2000 - Raymarine I'm trying to determine which one to get based on the difference in features. My boat is equipped with Raymarine dual E120 MFDs.
If you have E120 displays then I'd start by looking at the Raymarine AIS offerings. They will likely be easier to manage in conjunction with your E120, and no finger pointing if you have troubles . You could probably save a few bucks with one of the 3rd party devices, but it will be up to you to get it all working, which depending on your skills may be easy or hard.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
If you have E120 displays then I'd start by looking at the Raymarine AIS offerings. They will likely be easier to manage in conjunction with your E120, and no finger pointing if you have troubles . You could probably save a few bucks with one of the 3rd party devices, but it will be up to you to get it all working, which depending on your skills may be easy or hard.
It's interesting that new models from RM aren't even compatible with my E120 Classic MFDs.

Raymarine AIS Transmitter Comparison

I have to see if an older AIS RM units will work. Now I wonder the compatibility of other AIS brands with my E120 Classics. I assumed that since I have NMEA2000 Network Switch I'll be able to utilize any brand that supports NMEA2000.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #55
Guru

Quote:
It's interesting that new models from RM aren't even compatible with my E120 Classic MFDs. Raymarine AIS Transmitter Comparison I have to see if an older AIS RM units will work. Now I wonder the compatibility of other AIS brands with my E120 Classics. I assumed that since I have NMEA2000 Network Switch I'll be able to utilize any brand that supports NMEA2000.
Do you mean a backbone? As long as your chart-plotter is N2k compatible any N2K capable ais will work, although I've been told NN3D won't receive ais data via N2k.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Do you mean a backbone? As long as your chart-plotter is N2k compatible any N2K capable ais will work, although I've been told NN3D won't receive ais data via N2k.
Yes, my electronics are mixed between NMEA0183 and SeaTalk protocols and this data gets passed to the NMEA2000 network switch, which allows both MFDs share any type of data (including radar and weather).

I haven't looked at AIS installation manuals, but I assumed that I should be able to plug it in to my NMEA2000 Network Switch and both MFDs would be able to share AIS data.

Do I also need to have AIS hooked up to NMEA0183 bus as an input?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #57
Guru

Any N2K AIS should work PROVIDED the chart plotter vendor has issued sw updates to fix bugs and keep up with changes. aIS over N2K was late to the party getting standardized. Some vendors ate better than others at issuing updates to fix bugs. Thats where the finger pointing comes in.

The other consideration is how you set up the AIS and otherwise manage it. Some interface is needed, and they are all proprietary. Many use a serial cable to a computer, some use a web interface, and others can be managed through the chart plotter. Once set up, Class B requires little to no ongoing management, so this isn't a huge issue, but worth a little thought.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #58
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I think the RAYMARINE issue is chartplotter to chartplotter....not the NEMA transfer...

After I has bought my e7 hybrid series...the fine print added after the manual was printed that it may not be compatible with any other RAYMARINE charplotters.

They also have a total recall on the e7 touchscreen products...maybe more but I didn't read further...the steam off my head was stinging my eyes...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #59

I just downloaded RM AIS350 and AIS650 installation manual. Everything looked fine until I saw the GPS Antenna connection section, which states:

"The GPS supplied as part of your AIS transceiver system has a
fitted 10 m (33ft) cable to connect to the transceiver’s GPS antenna
connector.
Connect the cable from the GPS antenna to the GPS connector on
the underside of the AIS transceiver.

If the GPS is not connected, the transceiver will operate in Silent

Mode and an alarm message will be generated. You must
acknowledge all alarm messages. The transceiver will not transmit,
but will still receive."

I was under the impression that latest AIS transceivers have built-in GPS antenna. I guess this means that not all brands have it that way. If I can avoid drilling extra holes on that radar arch (where I already have two GPS antennas) I'd prefer to go with built-in GPS. So, I guess this is one of the criteria to look at other brands over Raymarine.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
I just downloaded RM AIS350 and AIS650 installation manual. Everything looked fine until I saw the GPS Antenna connection section, which states: "The GPS supplied as part of your AIS transceiver system has a fitted 10 m (33ft) cable to connect to the transceiver’s GPS antenna connector. Connect the cable from the GPS antenna to the GPS connector on the underside of the AIS transceiver. If the GPS is not connected, the transceiver will operate in Silent Mode and an alarm message will be generated. You must acknowledge all alarm messages. The transceiver will not transmit, but will still receive." I was under the impression that latest AIS transceivers have built-in GPS antenna. I guess this means that not all brands have it that way. If I can avoid drilling extra holes on that radar arch (where I already have two GPS antennas) I'd prefer to go with built-in GPS. So, I guess this is one of the criteria to look at other brands over Raymarine.
The Vesper Marine has both, but It'll depend on location if it works, one would think.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12

Tags
ais, chartplotter, vhf