Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I'am going with Si-Tex, adding a 4kw MDS 10-5 open array to my Standard Horizon cp300i display. Have never used radar but being on the river I thought of it as a safety item. I read & asked a lot of questions & it always seemed Furuno came well recommended. Already having the SH display was what convinced me to go with the Si-Tex for overlay on charts. Good luck

Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I'am going with Si-Tex, adding a 4kw MDS 10-5 open array to my Standard Horizon cp300i display. Have never used radar but being on the river I thought of it as a safety item. I read & asked a lot of questions & it always seemed Furuno came well recommended. Already having the SH display was what convinced me to go with the Si-Tex for overlay on charts. Good luck
Let me know how you like it, I have the CP300i as well but thought it was a bit small to overlay radar on. I was thinking of upgrading to a larger screen. I have a Furuno now on a separate monitor but it is old and when it dies it's not work fixing even if he parts could be had.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post

Let me know how you like it, I have the CP300i as well but thought it was a bit small to overlay radar on. I was thinking of upgrading to a larger screen. I have a Furuno now on a separate monitor but it is old and when it dies it's not work fixing even if he parts could be had.
I'll let you know how I like it & post a few screen shots. I also have a cp1000 but it isn't capable of using radar is my understanding. I will probably upgrade it to a new display later this year. Deciding if having radar at both helms or only one will play into that decision. Has your cp300i had the software upgrade to run radar?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Has your cp300i had the software upgrade to run radar?
I am in a similar situation, the PO did not have any electronics on the fly, he never used it. I was thinking of putting CP300 there and buying CPN1010i for the helm. How do you go about the upgrade??
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:

I am in a similar situation, the PO did not have any electronics on the fly, he never used it. I was thinking of putting CP300 there and buying CPN1010i for the helm. How do you go about the upgrade??
I'll decide after using radar on the cp300i 7" screen. If I think that I can be happy with the same at both helms then I'll look for another 300i. If not I'll buy a cpn1010i & mount it on the bridge & move the 300i to the lower helm. Now there is only a depth gauge at the lower helm, it had a loran there when I bought the boat. The cp300i will mount where the loran used to be. I removed the old Garmin 235 & mounted the cp300i, it was a simple install, pick a location with a good view & within reach to use the controls. Drill holes for the mount & run the power wire, that was it, the i in SH model # indicates internal antenna so no external antenna to mount & cable to run. When you upgrade you'll have to decide what functions you'll want. If you want radar then you'll have to purchase a Si-Tex scanner, they run anywhere from $1000.00 to about $5000.00 depending on what power & type. If you want to to display depth information then you'll need a transducer, ff225 black box & the cabling required for it. If you are handy with tools you can most likely do the work yourself depending on your choice of transducer. I've always liked SH products & their 3 year warranty, eventually I want to add a GX2150 VHF so I can add ais to the display. Good luck, I may sell the cp1000 & Airmar p58 triducer, I removed it when I found out it wouldn't support radar, it's a great unit.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #26
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
In keeping with the previous comments, I think the key question is where you sail and what your needs are. I was very fortunate in that my son gifted me with a Garmin 5212 with the 4kw HD radar and other goodies. The radar on the boat when I got it was long since dead. For the mostly coastal cruising I do - it's, in a word, great! Would I have chosen that setup from what's available on the market ? Don't know - never looked. I probably would have not gotten the touch-screen, although with some OJT I'm now completely comfortable with it. And, most surprisingly, the display works well even with direct sunlight on the screen.

As a practical matter, with this unit, I've gotten strong returns from ships hull down on the horizon and it seems to do well with sea return automatically. I suppose it's part what your used to and part the questions above. I think for a casual (not expedition) sailor, the HD units out there are probably more capable than will ever be needed by most folks.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #27

City: Amsterdam
Vessel Name: Obelikx
Vessel Model: De Klerk Kotter
Lightbulb lessons learned so far

first of all, I would like to thank you all for your valuable input! I found the comments very helpful in addition to talking to other boaters and a few professionals and doing some more internet research.

I do mainly coastal in the North Sea, but would like to be able to see the weather from a few miles away as with my old radar (raytheon R72, 10 kw, 3.5 ft array, hbw 2.4 deg)

my first lesson from this thread was that I do have to buy not only a radar but also a chartplotter (which will double my systems because I have a 'military grade' PC with a bid day light screen connected to GPS and AIS) - and this doubles the costs - and this extra investment needed additional approval from the admiral ...

the second question was whether 'broaddband' would be the best option (as I do mostly coastal and a problem here is fog with warmer air over cold water - exactly the situation where my old radar left me )
I now decided against it, but its not a hard decision, more of a gut feeling
I am more conservative and like to stay with proven older techniques for gthe crucial systems, whith boradband my impression is that there is still much development going on with the units getting rapidly better - so probably in a few years I would go for that option when they reach longer distances and some of the problems with interference with other radars are better solved (as I said, more of a gut feeling decision, would understand if s.o. else in the same situation makes a different decision)

next came the question whether it has to be Furuno, and I found your comments very helpful
my favorite solution now would be a Simrad TX 06 (6kw, 4 ft scanner) with digital signal processing and a horizontal bw of 1.8deg and a 12'' chartplotter from Simrad (part of the decision is because I recently installed simrads fluxgate compas and hope that its easier to connect to the new radar from the same brand for the MARPA calculations) - and I like some toays so I will add a WIFI so that I can see the picture on my Ipad when layin in my bed - not that I don't trust the admiral but I think its a nice feature to have ...

and a thought about touch screens: my idea is that they might be very impressive at the dock or on a boat show, but that in real live (North Sea with steep waves in the classical current against wind in relatively schallow waters) might not be the ideal solution - even with steadying sails and active fins - would like to hear some real life experiences about this

so these are my plans so far, but they are not in concrete; am also curious what you guys think about it, so feedback highly appreciated
I have also put my thoughts together in a short memo, also with some pictures of the suggested installation. I have send it to a few professionals asking for their advice (and for the best price they could offer) - in addition, I still don't know whether I will have it installed or do whether it will become a do it yourself project (the bottleneck beeing my own time vs labour costs)
so far, and thanks again for your helpful input
Obelikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #28
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I don't think you'll regret going with Simrad. It is top quality gear.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelikx View Post
...........so these are my plans so far, but they are not in concrete; am also curious what you guys think about it, so feedback highly appreciated..........
As I stated before...you can't go wrong with any of the leading electronics manufacturers but Simrad is my favorite. You're going to love your equipment as they are so intuitive. The only other thing you might want to consider is a Simrad auto pilot. They bought the old Robertson company some years ago and I've always leaned towards Robertson (Norwegian )as being the best pilot out there. (MHO of course)

Good Luck with your installation & please let us know what you experience. (Good or bad,)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MFD.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	17600  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
On the issue of touch screens- we have the RM hybrid touch systems, and they work great. Touch screen for ease of use (like an iPad), and standard buttons to complement/backup the touch screen.

I believe that Furuno and Lowrance have this system. In this category, Garmin is all touch screen.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #31

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Erg mooie kotter Obelikx.

Very nice Cutter Obelikx.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	de-kotter-obelikx-b.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	17601  
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
I believe that Furuno and Lowrance have this system. In this category, Garmin is all touch screen.
I opted away from the touch screen. The finger prints and distraction were enough to rationalize the extra cost away.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
Erg mooie kotter Obelikx.

Very nice Cutter Obelikx.
Tx for the flowers

And the original is even more beautiful than the model you found on the Internet (actually, it stands in the living room of our city home)
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post

As I stated before...you can't go wrong with any of the leading electronics manufacturers but Simrad is my favorite. You're going to love your equipment as they are so intuitive. The only other thing you might want to consider is a Simrad auto pilot. They bought the old Robertson company some years ago and I've always leaned towards Robertson (Norwegian )as being the best pilot out there. (MHO of course)

Good Luck with your installation & please let us know what you experience. (Good or bad,)
Tx
Fully agree with your comment about the autopilot; I had to replace my vintage model last year and I m happy with my new Simrad - I didn't mention because its not relevant for the radar question
Hope their other equipment is up to that standard
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #35

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelikx View Post
Tx for the flowers

For this you better spend your holydays in Rome, "Bedankttt vorr de bloeemen"
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We are installing a Simrad NSE12 plotter on Blue Sky, plus a Simrad AP28 autopilot. Our Furuno radar, which is relatively new but low powered, will stay aboard but once it dies, or we simply want a better radar, we will probably upgrade to whatever Broadband radar Simrad is offering by that time. Even their current 4G looks impressive, but they are making such big improvements over a relatively short time that waiting can only be positive.

But the biggest reason we went with Simrad (although their reputation of late has been very good) was their structurescan system.

The idea of being able to explore the bottom of various bays, passes, etc. has huge appeal for us. I suppose it could be used for navigation, but since it's effective depth is 100' or so, it is really more an entertainment tool I think.

The NSE12 plotter can even be connected to our saloon TV, allowing folks to watch the vessel's progress on the chart, and/or watch the bottom image slide by, all from the comfort of the saloon settee or chairs. (They can also get a first hand look at when the captain screws up of course...)

My point is that there are many possibilities that you might want to consider as you look at upgrading your radar.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
We are installing a Simrad NSE12 plotter on Blue Sky, plus a Simrad AP28 autopilot.
Very nice! I'm envious as hell!

This video isn't of the best quality but gives you an idea of what the NSE 12 is capable of.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NSE 12.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	17605  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #38

City: Heading south for Ft. Myers
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I am looking to replace my electronics (dated Raymarine RL80s and a broken radar). We went to the Miami show looking to choose a radar system and were very disappointed when we asked about the interoperability of the brands. I have installed a NMEA2000 backbone with many of the Maretron products. I am looking to put two/three 15" 3M touch screens at the helm for N2KView and Rosepoint for the chartplotter. I could not find any of the bigger named radars that would do an overlay of the Rosepoint charter. Did I miss understand?
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #39
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
I am looking to replace my electronics (dated Raymarine RL80s and a broken radar). We went to the Miami show looking to choose a radar system and were very disappointed when we asked about the interoperability of the brands. I have installed a NMEA2000 backbone with many of the Maretron products. I am looking to put two/three 15" 3M touch screens at the helm for N2KView and Rosepoint for the chartplotter. I could not find any of the bigger named radars that would do an overlay of the Rosepoint charter. Did I miss understand?
No, you got it right. Radar is still proprietary to each vendor, and I don't expect that will change anytime soon. Also, N2K (NMEA 2000) was never intended to handle radar, and doesn't have the bandwidth to do so. Everyone uses Ethernet not, which is a standard to a certain extent, but each vendor's data formats are different, as well as the way they control things.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:

I ended up using a separate Si-tex display same size as the SH cp300i and very satisfied with the size & performance, I think you are right about the size being to small to overlay radar on. This way I have a dedicated display for radar & the GPS, after using it I also decided I didn't need to do chart overlay. I'am going with a new VHF from SH so I can add ais to the cp300i at some point.

Tags
radar