Old 01-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #121
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post

Think I'd have called foul on the manager that made that decision; a format conversion safety net likely wouldn't have been difficult or expensive... even something as simple as Garmin doing the conversion, and offering properly-formatted downloads (for the old unit) to the few users left hanging in the wind. (Admittedly just guessing here, without knowledge of the actual units...)

-Chris
Garmin's format change was to go from the proprietary "Bluechart Data Card" physical chart media to the widely used SD card format. In a new generation of chart plotters, two generations advanced from the 2001-2002 plotters like the 2010C, or my identical but smaller 2006C.

Most thought this a pretty good move. Garmin offered PC software and a USB-connected reader for the old cards, which allowed me to suck in my routes and waypoints, convert them to other formats, keep backup of them, and export onto an SD card or PC chartplotting software format. No conversion for the charts themselves, however - the new chartplotters came with the charts built in.

My 14-year-old 2006C still works perfectly, and I haven't needed to do anything to update it for several years now. My routes and waypoints moved smoothly over to CE for my new boat.

I would not call foul.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #122
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
My chart plotter experience whether Garmin, Raymarine or Furuno is that the plotters are lazy and time consuming as compared to a laptop based charting program like CE or Trident or XYZ. Either Windows or Mac can be used in fact one of my friends has a Mac that has Windows 10 installed and can run Trident on either.

So my earlier question is can the Garmin AP follow the course laid out on the laptop using non Garmin software? That is a must for any hard wired charting system IMHO. CE is coming out with some new software that should greatly ease data inputs into a laptop based system. There may well be more fun stuff to consider than Furuno vs Garmin boxed products.
The newest plotters are pretty quick!
We don't tend to use saved routes or waypoints anyway.
We plot our course as we go.
Of course we've been sailors who are accustomed to slower speeds...
We will see!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #123
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Bruce, I think that you will find that your new electronics package will wonderful. I also am sure that you will find design issues that will drive you crazy at first but that you will adapt to. This would hold true for any system.

Modern electronics are truly amazing and all of the top manufacturers put out great products.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #124
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I believe that the issue has something to do with the way Furuno attaches the glass to the unit. Apparently the bonding agent fails and the unit has to be returned for either replacement or repair.

Your story of the screen cleaner made me laugh, been there and done that too!
Luckily, we haven't had any other problem with out Furuno displays... although now I'm looking around quickly for some kind of wood to knock on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
You sound like the other IT people I know!
Have to admit, most of my IT-related assignments were in self-defense. Intended users often weren't able to adequately flesh out use cases... and I was usually a power user in that area... so... tag, I became it. (Especially when they discovered I had the right post-graduate degree as credentials...)

Usually worked out, although one system I was called in to troubleshoot had been started (well before my entry) with something like a $25M estimate and only $5M actually allotted... and my own estimate was closer to $76M... and even then, only IF I could also incorporate two other existing systems that had already cost closer to $208M. My first recommendation was to simply scrap it all, assuming the customer wasn't really serious. After that lead balloon, they got more serious about funding the project... but never did step up to what it really needed. Some of the deliveries turned out pretty well, but still not near the original requirements. Ah, well...

-Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #125
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCook View Post
No conversion for the charts themselves, however - the new chartplotters came with the charts built in.

My 14-year-old 2006C still works perfectly, and I haven't needed to do anything to update it for several years now.

I would not call foul.
Not sure I understand. You mean the old unit works, but the charts are still old/outdated and you can live with that? Or am I misinterpreting?

-Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 12:35 PM   #126
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Chris

Another question is what constitutes an updated chart. I clearly understand what RCook is saying and have no problem using older electronic charts myself where prudent. For my money, RCook is about the savviest PNW cruiser on TF. Listening to him is a treat for our cruising style.

In areas that are with heavy silting and dredging and buoys changing constantly updates are one thing. In areas where there is no silting and a hard bottom or rocks are the low spots, updates for natural obstacles are long in coming. Knowing visually where the buoys are and what they mean, observing channel markers, being on the right scale on your electronic charts, using paper where available and keeping a lookout seems the best defense.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #127
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
So my earlier question is can the Garmin AP follow the course laid out on the laptop using non Garmin software? That is a must for any hard wired charting system IMHO. CE is coming out with some new software that should greatly ease data inputs into a laptop based system. There may well be more fun stuff to consider than Furuno vs Garmin boxed products.
If your laptop-based charting programs, whatever they might be, can output industry standard NMEA 0183 APB sentences, or NMEA 2000 127237, 129283, 129284 PGN's, then yes. Obviously, the laptop must be connected to the same network and be recognized (seen) as a valid navigation source by the other connected devices.

On the Garmin AP control, you go to the configuration menu and select your non-Garmin laptop as the preferred source and you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #128
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Not sure I understand. You mean the old unit works, but the charts are still old/outdated and you can live with that? Or am I misinterpreting?
While charts on the East Coast can change almost daily, charts for the PNW and for the Great Lakes almost never change. That is why we were still happy with our Garmin GPSMAP 2010C on Lake Michigan even though the charts aren't being updated anymore.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #129
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
While charts on the East Coast can change almost daily, charts for the PNW and for the Great Lakes almost never change. That is why we were still happy with our Garmin GPSMAP 2010C on Lake Michigan even though the charts aren't being updated anymore.
The rocks seem to always be in the same place, year to year...
Bruce
Old 01-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #130
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:

Yup. I have an updated chart set for my Raymarine but likely won't update it for years. I do buy paper charts and for the areas that can change more frequently, I will buy updated paper charts if I am going to visit that area.

For the most part Puget Sound is pretty static.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #131
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yup. I have an updated chart set for my Raymarine but likely won't update it for years. I do buy paper charts and for the areas that can change more frequently, I will buy updated paper charts if I am going to visit that area.

For the most part Puget Sound is pretty static.
We update daily.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #132
Guru

Quote:
I clearly understand what RCook is saying and have no problem using older electronic charts myself where prudent.

In areas that are with heavy silting and dredging and buoys changing constantly updates are one thing. In areas where there is no silting and a hard bottom or rocks are the low spots, updates for natural obstacles are long in coming. Knowing visually where the buoys are and what they mean, observing channel markers, being on the right scale on your electronic charts, using paper where available and keeping a lookout seems the best defense.
Quote:

Fair enough, I get that you're all saying you can live with old charts.

I wouldn't want to do that, though, and not having the capability to update affects everyone -- worldwide, I guess -- who has/had that unit, not just folks who are OK with using old charts.

That's why I think Garmin failed with their replacement program for that particular model/unit. From the outside, at least, looks like it could have been a relatively easy/low cost fix... which could have at the same time negatively impacted potential sales of their newer replacement products. Pretty sure I wouldn't have made the same choice they did (again, just guessing, given no additional insight)...

-Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #133
Guru

Quote:

That's why I think Garmin failed with their replacement program for that particular model/unit. From the outside, at least, looks like it could have been a relatively easy/low cost fix... which could have at the same time negatively impacted potential sales of their newer replacement products. Pretty sure I wouldn't have made the same choice they did (again, just guessing, given no additional insight)...

-Chris
Obviously the hurt their reputation with some people. I don't have the information on a couple of key factors. One is what the cost would have been to have continued to support the old system, now over 15 years old. Two is how many owners of the old system did they have still subscribing to updates. My guess is that's a small number with many of those with the old systems not updating anyway. To those who were I likely would have offered a low cost process for them to update their equipment.

At some point, all companies have to decide when to stop supporting certain products. That's a difficult decision as often the entire underlying code has been rewritten and it's a complete set of required software since there is no compatibility with the new. I read about the laptop in the basement from last century. However, software developers and hardware manufacturers assume a certain life and don't plan on support after. Again, I don't have the specifics of the Garmin situation to say what I would have done in their situation.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #134
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
In the case of the GPSMAP 2010C, there apparently was a corporate decision to change the data card format starting in 2006.
Well, not really. At the time, there were 3 independent companies producing nautical charts for recreational use - C-Map, Navionics, and Transas. Garmin had decided early to license the Transas data for their early chartplotters. Around 2006, Transas decided to get out of the recreational market leaving Garmin stranded.

Garmin decided to create their own chart development and hired teams of cartographers and digitizers. I've been to the floors in their HQ where they operate and it is an impressive operation. The bottom line is that they now own their own cartography and no one can take it away. They do license some charts, like Explorer in the Bahamas, but I'd bet they have pretty great licensing agreements that don't allow them to just go away. I know first-hand that it took many months of license agreement negotiations with Garmin for ActiveCaptain. They definitely understand all the issues and are at the very top in this game.

One thing about using a Mac for Garmin installations...

Perhaps is was already mentioned but there is a native Mac HomePort application from Garmin. The great things is...it's free. Once you have a chartplotter onboard, you'll be able to pull the charts off it and run them directly on the Mac. You can create routes, move them to a data card to insert into the chartplotter and more. HomePort has ActiveCaptain support too - I've been a tester of it for Windows and I've used it for real for many years on Mac's.

One thing you should also get is a cellular iPad and then get Garmin's app (BlueChart Mobile) - put it on iPhones too - you can put it and the charts on up to 5 different devices. It's the same charts as the chartplotter but works on an iPad. You can create routes on the iPad and move them over WiFi to the chartplotter. I did that a lot too - it's a pretty great product.

As an aside, Transas has popped their head up again in the recreational market. After dedicating themselves to commercial ECDIS charts since 2006, they are the company behind the iSailor app. It's a pretty nice app but I can't help wondering if they'll eventually pull support and escape back to the ECDIS world if competition gets tough or they just get tired of the recreational market again. They can't seem to get enough marketshare for the app to make them a top developer in the space.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #135
Guru

We use Transas, but were not aware of the iSailor product until you mentioned it. Going to have to download the app and just see what it does on our next trip. We do use their TX-97 charts. Will be interesting to compare the iTX-97 charts to them.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #136
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Fair enough, I get that you're all saying you can live with old charts. -Chris

That may be a simplification. Normally we run 2 different plotters, sometimes 4 just because have them. Confusion on where we are or hazards are pretty rare. The online updates seem considerable for the East coast but small for the PNW. The time and effort to update became a chore with so little if anything changing. The biggest changes in the PNW seem marina information, easy enough to find out with Waggoners or a phone call.

Plus, I hate taking the virgin laptops (two of them) on line with all the stuff trying to break into it.

But, I do understand that with so many having careers in IT or using digital devices for a hobby that many enjoy the time spent fooling around with all manners of electronic boat toys. I do too.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #137

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Shills

Please stop posting if you sell electronics. You know who you are.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #138
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Please stop posting if you sell electronics. You know who you are.
I do not know who you are referring to, but many people on here are "Commercial Members" and are allowed to post in their area of expertise....and other areas too. If you have a problem with a particular post, please hit the "report button"(the little triangle with the exclamation point in it) and let the Moderators deal with it.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #139
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I do not know who you are referring to, but many people on here are "Commercial Members" and are allowed to post in their area of expertise....and other areas too. If you have a problem with a particular post, please hit the "report button"(the little triangle with the exclamation point in it) and let the Moderators deal with it.
I think I do know and I'm the first to jump on what I feel is self promotion or advertising and I saw nothing wrong with the post. It was factual and from a position of knowledge. If someone asks a question about any number of products with representatives here, I'd hope they'll step up and just answer the question. If they then do a sales pitch that bothers me, I hit the "report" button.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:41 AM   #140
Guru

I went back and reread every post. I have no sense that any answer here was made to "sell" a product. There are a number of posts written by people with good knowledge of the subject matter though...
I'm finding this thread helpful and interesting and I appreciate the input (at least most of it!)
Many thanks,
Bruce