Old 07-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #101

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Do you have a relationship with the manufacturer?
I have no relationship with the manufacturer other than owning the same model unit being bashed over one individual's misconceptions in various online venues including the manufacturers' support forum. The moderators of that forum are very helpful and don't deserve the abuse. Those of us who performed significant research and installed the units with accordant expectations also don't deserve the distraction to the moderators.
Trawlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #102
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerdude View Post
I have no relationship with the manufacturer other than owning the same model unit being bashed over one individual's misconceptions in various online venues including the manufacturers' support forum. The moderators of that forum are very helpful and don't deserve the abuse. Those of us who performed significant research and installed the units with accordant expectations also don't deserve the distraction to the moderators.
With all due respect, none of us are here to address what is going on with the moderators of another forum. Per your statement, he's bashing there and here and you're following him here to bash him. You just joined and all you've posted is to bash him.

Here, he's simply expressed an opinion. I see nothing he said here that was unreasonable. I understand his point, although don't agree with it. Most have preferences based on what they are use to. There is no such thing as a "best electronics." It's all about preferences. I've used Transas, Maxsea, Furuno, Garmin and to a lesser extent Raymarine. I haven't used Simrad. Chose not to even though the builder recommended it. I've found them all to have quality products today and each has had their little issues at various times. If he's upset because Furuno doesn't use Navionics, then so be it. Then after being so, just get over it. Buy something else next time or adjust to what you have. As the topic of the thread is "Choosing Electronics" I would expect to see some praise and negative throughout. Often our individual opinions are skewed by one experience and sometimes even about what we were told and therefore chose against a brand. The value here is that we get such a variety of opinions including those feeling very strongly pro and con. This is an area of constant change and whoever is "best" today will probably not be six months from now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #103
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerdude View Post
I have no relationship with the manufacturer...

Then stop cyberstalking the other newbie and at least pretend you desire to become a respected member of this online community. Post an introductory post like everyone else typically does, share your experience and offer your "opinions" on a range of subjects and not people. Most of us are intelligent enough to draw our own conclusions about other contributors.

Trust me, the 800 lb gorilla of the marine electronic industry doesn't need a knight in shining armor to defend their honor. There's more than enough intelligent contributors here willing to call folks out on their biases.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #104

City: La Conner
Looked at this thread in detail. I am looking at upgrading my plotting system. Currently run a 20 year old version of Nobeltec and really like it. Unfortunately the gps it is attached to is becoming unreliable. I installed CE on the other computer and am running it on the second monitor. So far some of the CE I like, but there are enough bad user interfaces I don't like. Will the new version of MaxSea TZ interface with my Simrad AP20 as the old version of Nobeltec does? Anything I am missing?
Bigsalmonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #105
Guru

So,
After being absolutely certain that we where going to install Furuno electronics we (I) decided instead to go with Garmin.
The decision is made!

We will have a pair of 17" Garmin 8617 flush mounted displays in the pilot house along with a Garmin GHC pilot control and a Garmin 20 GMI display. The flybridge will utilize a Garmin 7412 12" display and a second GHC pilot control.
A GMR Fantom 24 radar with the Doppler effect color coded threat assessment.
We chose a Garmin AIS transponder, a Garmin black box VHF radio with control mics in flybridge and pilothouse, a GMI wind bundle with a boat speed paddle wheel to determine true wind and Garmin side view sonar/fishfinder transducers.

This boat will have the slickest instrumentation I have ever used!

Can't wait...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #106
Guru

City: Vermont
Nice. Congratulations. It sounds like things are coming together nicely.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:48 PM   #107
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
So,
After being absolutely certain that we where going to install Furuno electronics we (I) decided instead to go with Garmin.
The decision is made!

We will have a pair of 17" Garmin 8617 flush mounted displays in the pilot house along with a Garmin GHC pilot control and a Garmin 20 GMI display. The flybridge will utilize a Garmin 7412 12" display and a second GHC pilot control.
A GMR Fantom 24 radar with the Doppler effect color coded threat assessment.
We chose a Garmin AIS transponder, a Garmin black box VHF radio with control mics in flybridge and pilothouse, a GMI wind bundle with a boat speed paddle wheel to determine true wind and Garmin side view sonar/fishfinder transducers.

This boat will have the slickest instrumentation I have ever used!

Can't wait...
Bruce
We have very similar on the Sunseeker and we were quite upset Furuno wasn't an option from them. We were even thinking we might find ourselves removing the Garmin for Furuno if we didn't like it. However, we are extremely pleased with the Garmin package. Could not be happier with an electronics package.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 AM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We have very similar on the Sunseeker and we were quite upset Furuno wasn't an option from them. We were even thinking we might find ourselves removing the Garmin for Furuno if we didn't like it. However, we are extremely pleased with the Garmin package. Could not be happier with an electronics package.
It was an interesting exercise to work through.
I wanted Furuno gear from the beginning and although I wanted to believe that I was objectively searching the field, I really was not.
Every person in the industry that I asked suggested that I consider a Garmin system and I'd look at their website and say "Furuno"!
In the end, it was a long conversation with a dealer who sold both systems who really helped me decide. He talked about support, backward compatibility vs age, general reliability and finally features of both brands.
Finally, I decided that Garmin offered the features we wanted...

Now I'm spending evenings reading manuals and trying to acquaint myself with the system.
Fun!
Bruce
Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 AM   #109
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Bruce B

Will your new Garmin setup have an independent laptop charting system that can accept and transmit data from/to Garmin? If so, which charting system?

An aside and IMHO, the quality of the install and the knowledge of the the instrument tech can make or break a system - no matter the logo on the units. That said, some very sophisticated users such as twisted tree will test a brand's capabilities to perform all functions as advertised, finding glitches along the way that many us simpletons would otherwise never know about.

My instrument upgrades over the years have largely been the result of failure of existing units - a Raymarine radar and Simrad AP. Both went out in the worst of places. In both cases Furuno gear went in with no further troubles, yet that is.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:43 AM   #110
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Bruce B

Will your new Garmin setup have an independent laptop charting system that can accept and transmit data from/to Garmin? If so, which charting system?

An aside and IMHO, the quality of the install and the knowledge of the the instrument tech can make or break a system - no matter the logo on the units. That said, some very sophisticated users such as twisted tree will test a brand's capabilities to perform all functions as advertised, finding glitches along the way that many us simpletons would otherwise never know about.

My instrument upgrades over the years have largely been the result of failure of existing units - a Raymarine radar and Simrad AP. Both went out in the worst of places. In both cases Furuno gear went in with no further troubles, yet that is.
Garmin does have an app that allows for transfer of data to and from the plotters. While we do travel with laptops, we tend to stay on the Apple side of things. After almost 20 years of having no choice but to run Windows equipment in my business, I have a healthy disdain for their products. I only use Windows regularly for my amateur radio hobby and that is Windows 10. It works fine and is nicely integrated into my Mac Pro with Parallels...
So, I haven't even looked at whether Garmin offers a PC based plotter...

As for the technician, I fully agree! Normally I install these systems myself. I love the projects and I have no need to make a buck doing it so I simply spend a lot of time researching and then installing. It makes no difference to me if I spend a week doing what a professional does in a day or two. My work is always clean and neat and if things go wrong, I know where to begin...

This time, we will be taking delivery on the opposite side of the continent and I really don't want to take the time to install a new system so far from my home and all of my normal support systems. Thus I have hired a very highly recommended tech to do the installation. I have spoken to him and he and I are on the same page... I believe we will be good.

Funny you should mention the subject of using a systems capabilities, my wife and I where discussing this last night.
We, like most people, find and learn to use those features that we need or want.
Those features that are too confusing or that don't work we ignore.
I like to compare these systems to the benchmarks of Apple vs Windows, maybe Windows of 6 or 8 years ago more accurately. If the software is well written and well supported, I will happily trade away some capability...
I simply want things to work! I will read a manual and even call tech support if I need to but in the end, it has to work. Easily, repeatedly and for a long time.

I really, really wanted Furuno gear on this boat. We have had Raymarine gear for about 20 years on previous boats and it was time for a change. I looked at Furuno, Garmin and Simrad. All companies (including Raymarine) make gear that performs along similar lines. I had a distrust of Raymarine based on too many failures in the past, a general dislike of Garmin (no idea where this comes from!) an admiration of Simrad and a true respect for Furuno.

As I began this research, I spoke to a few installers who I know personally and got clear and loud signals about their preferences. Garmin is universally held in high regard by these people. I spoke to a few engineers to, one of them works for Raymarine and wanted to understand my position about that company. He felt that Ray was well beyond the issues we had suffered but understood my feelings. He did verify that the gear failures we had experienced were essentially
"known issues" of the gear involved, all out of production now by the way.
He explained the electronics industry to me in terms of history of the companies, the mergers and acquisitions, the combining of technologies etc., all very, very, interesting. He was the single person who did not have good things to say about Garmin and he freely admitted that this was based on his corporate bias...

In the end I believe that like anything else, you can get unlucky with any piece of electronic gear. I also believe that for the most part most of the gear available today is pretty comparable in terms of features. There are differences though and Garmin has some pretty cool things happening. The pilot, the sonar and the plotter software have features that were enticing. They reportedly have good reliability and their backward compatibility is very, very good. That speaks well for the future ability to change a piece out if we elect to.

We will see how well this all works out!
Bruce
Old 01-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #111
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
As I began this research, I spoke to a few installers who I know personally and got clear and loud signals about their preferences. Garmin is universally held in high regard by these people.
I only know Garmin from the aviation world where I had excellent luck with them--they became my go-to vendor.

On the marine side it is my impression that they have/had a problem with long-term support. I seem to recall seeing posts about not being able to get map (or was it software?) upgrades for units more than a few years old. If true that would be an absolute show-stopper for me.

Am I remembering correctly? If so is that still the case with their products?

[Just for comparison, I recently had my 10 year old plotter repaired by Raymarine and can still get new charts for it from Navionics. Then again Raymarine had no ability to work on my similarly-ancient AP.]
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #112
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
I only know Garmin from the aviation world where I had excellent luck with them--they became my go-to vendor.

On the marine side it is my impression that they have/had a problem with long-term support. I seem to recall seeing posts about not being able to get map (or was it software?) upgrades for units more than a few years old. If true that would be an absolute show-stopper for me.

[Just for comparison, I recently had my 10 year old plotter repaired by Raymarine and can still get new charts for it from Navionics. Then again Raymarine had no ability to work on my similarly-ancient AP.]
The Garmin product in question was a GPSMAP 2010C. That particular model had been around since 2001. In the electronics world, 15 years is multiple generations. The current GPSMAPs are the 7000/8000 series so you are talking about a product 5-6 generations out of date. We had a GPSMAP 2010C on our Taiwanese Tub and it still worked fine without ever being repaired. If we had kept the TT, I would have replaced it with a 7000 series GPSMAP which has a ton of enhanced features and comes with preloaded maps, internet map updating, NMEA 2000, wifi, better resolution and many other things. It doesn't seem appropriate to ask for support of a electronics product this old where the newer versions are so much better. And BTW, the Furuno radar which was installed on the boat in roughly the same timeframe did not work.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 AM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post

Furuno definitely has the best reputation in terms of long term support. I am aware of issues with the screens delaminating on their TZT plotters though. Yes, I have read about issues with all of the companies.
In the end, it is a bit of a leap of faith isn't it?
Bruce
Old 01-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #114

City: Woodbridge UK
Vessel Name: MV Content
Vessel Model: Fellows & Stewart 58' Pilothouse Cutter
Subscribe
MV Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:56 AM   #115
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
The Garmin product in question was a GPSMAP 2010C. That particular model had been around since 2001. In the electronics world, 15 years is multiple generations.
Fair point, relative to software and maintenance... but I suspect I'd be irritated if just updated CHARTS were no longer available on units we installed whenever.

In the grand scheme of things, there are a few newer bells and whistles I could get if we replaced our 2009 plotter... but if the thing is still working and I can still get updated charts "in the year 2525," I'll likely still be using it then... bells and whistles (unlike charts) being not really a serious driver in our world.

Quote:
Furuno definitely has the best reputation in terms of long term support. I am aware of issues with the screens delaminating on their TZT plotters though.
Actual delamination?

We once discovered an issue with the screen on our fishfinder. Started to get all sorts of "scratches" in the display... turned out to be brought on by improper screen-cleaning products used by the cleaning crew. (And they received some serious "counseling" about that.)

But it also turned out to be just a coating, and once the whole coating was cleaned off (using those same improper cleaning products... or maybe it was rubbing alcohol...) the screen looks like new again. Can't remember what the coating was supposed to do, in the first place...

-Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #116
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
In the grand scheme of things, there are a few newer bells and whistles I could get if we replaced our 2009 plotter... but if the thing is still working and I can still get updated charts "in the year 2525," I'll likely still be using it then... bells and whistles (unlike charts) being not really a serious driver in our world.
In the case of the GPSMAP 2010C, there apparently was a corporate decision to change the data card format starting in 2006. Hopefully, it is a one off situation. I have not heard of any issues with the products and map format since 2006 but certainly there are boaters who have the older format chartplotters and are not happy with what went down. Microsoft does the same type of thing with their older products and so does Apple but the customer typically pays $100-150 for Windows and maybe $700 for an iPad instead of $2-3K for a chartplotter. In today's world, you just have to expect technological obsolescence.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #117
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
In the case of the GPSMAP 2010C, there apparently was a corporate decision to change the data card format starting in 2006. Hopefully, it is a on off situation. I have not heard of any issues with the products and map format since 2006 but certainly there are boaters who have the older format chartplotters and are not happy with what went down. Microsoft does the same type of thing with their older products and so does Apple but the customer typically pays $100-150 for Windows and maybe $700 for an iPad instead of $2-3K for a chartplotter. In today's world, you just have to expect technological obsolescence.

Sure, I get that. Occasional IT manager in previous life, etc.

But I've still got a 1998 laptop downstairs that runs Win 98 and whatever current version of Office was at the time... like a champ.

Yes, no updates, yes lots of stuff it can't do that modern systems can... but OTOH, it still does what it was originally purchased to do.

Think I'd have called foul on the manager that made that decision; a format conversion safety net likely wouldn't have been difficult or expensive... even something as simple as Garmin doing the conversion, and offering properly-formatted downloads (for the old unit) to the few users left hanging in the wind. (Admittedly just guessing here, without knowledge of the actual units...)

-Chris
Old 01-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #118
Guru

Quote:
Fair point, relative to software and maintenance... but I suspect I'd be irritated if just updated CHARTS were no longer available on units we installed whenever.

Actual delamination?

We once discovered an issue with the screen on our fishfinder. Started to get all sorts of "scratches" in the display... turned out to be brought on by improper screen-cleaning products used by the cleaning crew. (And they received some serious "counseling" about that.)

But it also turned out to be just a coating, and once the whole coating was cleaned off (using those same improper cleaning products... or maybe it was rubbing alcohol...) the screen looks like new again. Can't remember what the coating was supposed to do, in the first place...

-Chris
I believe that the issue has something to do with the way Furuno attaches the glass to the unit. Apparently the bonding agent fails and the unit has to be returned for either replacement or repair.

Your story of the screen cleaner made me laugh, been there and done that too!
Bruce
Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #119
Guru

Quote:
Sure, I get that. Occasional IT manager in previous life, etc.

But I've still got a 1998 laptop downstairs that runs Win 98 and whatever current version of Office was at the time... like a champ.

Yes, no updates, yes lots of stuff it can't do that modern systems can... but OTOH, it still does what it was originally purchased to do.

Think I'd have called foul on the manager that made that decision; a format conversion safety net likely wouldn't have been difficult or expensive... even something as simple as Garmin doing the conversion, and offering properly-formatted downloads (for the old unit) to the few users left hanging in the wind. (Admittedly just guessing here, without knowledge of the actual units...)

-Chris
You sound like the other IT people I know!
I just gave away a nice little XP Lenovo T-60 laptop/tablet that was 10 years old.
That was a great little device and it too still worked but...just not that well in 2016.
My 6 year old MacBook Pro however is great! I upgraded the hard drive to a Solid state type 3 years ago and its a little rocket!
I'll continue to use it until it is no longer supported.

Bruce
Old 01-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #120
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
So, I haven't even looked at whether Garmin offers a PC based plotter... Bruce
My chart plotter experience whether Garmin, Raymarine or Furuno is that the plotters are lazy and time consuming as compared to a laptop based charting program like CE or Trident or XYZ. Either Windows or Mac can be used in fact one of my friends has a Mac that has Windows 10 installed and can run Trident on either.

So my earlier question is can the Garmin AP follow the course laid out on the laptop using non Garmin software? That is a must for any hard wired charting system IMHO. CE is coming out with some new software that should greatly ease data inputs into a laptop based system. There may well be more fun stuff to consider than Furuno vs Garmin boxed products.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote