Choosing electronics...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for iPads and iPhones, I do get a laugh when people call Apple products "over-priced" and relate their success to sheep following the cool-factor. To be sure, some of that exists, but when buyers are willing to pay a premium for what they perceive to be quality products, endless options (apps) and excellent service, that pretty much defines a market price. When Droids can offer all that, I'll consider them. If Apple mobile devices are over-priced, why haven't tech-savvy folks like you invented something that the masses will use as readily as iPads? Then you could undercut Apple and rule the tech world.

I tend to agree. Yes, Apple products are significantly more expensive than others. But to me, and apparently a lot of other people, they are worth every penny. Why? Because they actually work. They aren't perfect, but 95% of the time they do what they are supposed to do, and do it without a fuss.

Now just to be clear, I'm saying this with experience with Windows/PCs, Mac/OSx, and iThingies. I have no experience with Andriod.

To me, in street-talk, technology exists to be my bitch. Not the other way around. I got tired of being a windows bitch many years ago and never turned back, though I do run a variety of Windows VMs for the apps that still only existing in that world. But I cringe anytime I need to install a driver, an app, or do an upgrade because I know I'll be a windows bitch again for the next 2-24hrs while I fight to get the freakin' thing working.

And for those who want to attribute this thinking to being a Luddite, well, that's not really the case having spent my career designing, building, selling, and servicing computer and network equipment. But feel free to attribute to whatever you like....:)

Given the hourly (seems like) advances in navigational equipment and my early onset Dementia (not kidding) I'm going to be literally lost not too far in the future.

Very sorry to read this RTF. I always enjoy your warm welcomes, insightful comments, and clever humour. I sincerely hope that whatever is going on with you is off in the distant future.

Several folks have discussed the issues related with mixing different manufacturers equipment as well as pieces of equipment from different eras. I don't have the technical background or the time to try and kludge together a mix of equipment as some have done, although I am very impressed with those that can.

Since I have a Raymarine system, I will likely stay with Raymarine components until such time as I become ready to scrap it all and start from scratch. One of the things I would like to add is an AIS transponder (I have an AIS receiver only). Likely, I will pay someone to figure out what I need and install it. I could do it myself, but I'd rather spend the time working or boating.

For RTF, I would imagine that if your own system fails and needs replacing, that you would likely do to same. Pick a suite of electronics that fit your own needs and pay someone to install it and make it all work.

Several folks have discussed the issues related with mixing different manufacturers equipment as well as pieces of equipment from different eras. I don't have the technical background or the time to try and kludge together a mix of equipment as some have done, although I am very impressed with those that can.

If one just needs to replace one piece of their equipment, then my advice would always be to stick with whatever brand all the other equipment is. However, if you need a whole new system, then go at it and choose.

We do have some mixed systems. We have Furuno radar with Transas navigation, but they have a standard interface. We also have autopilots from different manufacturers than the rest of our equipment. I think there was a predominant thought for a while that a couple of brands were superior, but I think that's changed.

Pulled the trigger today.

Well at some point you have to just jump in. I went with Garmin. Furuno was a very close second. The kicker was the comments from Gordon j I believe when he pointed out that electronics are not just for me but the Admiral has to be able to operate them. Garmin is simple to use and intuitative.

I liked the depth of the I pad integration and the side scan sonar. You can record the sonar with gps readings so when you find the treasure you can get back to it and send the clip to friends. I wanted the Furuno radar but gave up the 100 ARPA targeting hoping a further upgrade from Garmin will catch up. I have a lot of Apple products so the fit was good for me..

I went with GPSMAP 7612, GHP Reactor AP, Fantom 24 Radar, 220WX weather sensor, GT51M-THP dual transducers. 12 boat bucks. 12% show discount. I will install DIY in April. all your comments were helpful. It helps to have such varied opinions.

Well at some point you have to just jump in. I went with Garmin. Furuno was a very close second.

Having used Furuno extensively and our most recent boat coming with Garmin, I think you'll be very happy with your decision.

To me, in street-talk, technology exists to be my bitch. Not the other way around.
Wow! Some one else is on the same wave length! I was introduced to my first computer in 1985. (IBM with Lotus 1-2-3) The pain I suffered when trying to do something meaningful on that machine was unbelievable! I then changed to a McIntosh & never looked back. I can't remember who said this, ("simplicity is the key to design") but it seems that the Apple people have really embraced that philosophy over the years.

I feel the same way about the latest Raymarine products. As many of you know, I loaded up with RM "everything" last year and am still amazed at what I can do! It all works great but my biggest joy is with their Evolution Auto Pilot. So far I've had 9 boats over 30 feet since 1995, all with auto pilots and my present boat with the Evolution A/P tracks the best in all conditions. I will say, however, that I had a ComNav 1001 A/P years ago that was super simple and performed flawlessly.

As previously stated way back in the beginning of this thread, you can't go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers of marine electronics. To me, it boils down to "what's the most intuitive product out there" and again, like Apple, for me it's Raymarine!

Attachments

• NEW PANEL 3.jpg
    NEW PANEL 3.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 80
As previously stated way back in the beginning of this thread, you can't go wrong with any of the leading manufacturers of marine electronics. To me, it boils down to "what's the most intuitive product out there" and again, like Apple, for me it's Raymarine!

To me, "intuitive" today means a touch screen. I assume your new RM has this. My older generation does not and while it generally works well, a touch screen interface would make it hugely more efficient.

The Raymarine e120w that came on Red Head is the first touchscreen I've been known to operate with my fist. I hate the thing. I think it has some of the worst UX designs known to man. I'm not as familiar with their recent lines - I hope they're a lot better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom