Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Checking the batteries

Came back to the boat today to find the marina was doing work on the electrical system and power was off all day. No problem... I'll just start up the genset. Went to start it and no joy. Batteries around 12.3 volts. They dropped in maybe 3 hours, so they're goners. Good thing this happened in the marina instead of an anchorage. My thruster batteries are new and good, on a completely separate system, so I could have used them in an emergency.

So from now on, I'm going to turn off the charger occasionally, maybe once a quarter or before a cruise, to see what happens to the batteries. They need replacing after an admirable 8 years of service (Lifeline 6V AGMs) supported by a desulphator. Just good that I found it at the dock.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: Checking the batteries

Check Y.E.S...they are the new Lifeline dealer and just got a new Pallet of batteries in!!!!

Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 AM   #3
FF
Guru

They need replacing after an admirable 8 years of service (Lifeline 6V AGMs)

If you are on a smart charger and have a SOC meter you might find golf cart batts will last as long , at 1/2 the price.

Most of the expense on batts is the learning curve , once you learn to live off the batts properly , the old wet style does admirably.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Each month I check the batteries water level, volt level, load test, and start the engines.* This year I had to replace two of the 3 wet cell 8 D start batteries after 8 years.* I still think the best bang for the buck is the wet cells.* I do not leave the dock, the few time we do, with out checking and starting everything a few days before so if something does not start/work if can be repaired/replaced.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
Doc
Guru

Checking the batteries

Being a card carrying member of the 21st Century I vote for the AGM's. My first set lasted at least 8 years (sold the boat) and my current set is 5+ years old.

If you nose around in the right places, some one will sell you what you need at a reasonable price just to make a few bucks. Plus, if you know some one with a Port Supply card, West has them also.

And, the little Optima AGM's from Sam's or Walmart (who cares red or blue top) will certainly start a gen set. Two in a row will start a 6-71. They are really cheap.

-- Edited by Doc on Friday 30th of July 2010 11:39:30 AM

-- Edited by Doc on Friday 30th of July 2010 11:42:07 AM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I got the Lifelines here: https://www.powerstridebattery.com/marine-batteries

Last time I bought them here http://www.batterystore.com/*but they have dropped Lifeline for Odyssey and didn't have any 6 volts.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
FF
Guru

Each month I check the batteries water level, volt level, load test, and start the engines.

Wow!

To load test a batt it has to be disconnected from the string , that's an amazing amount of work each month .

Esp since a SOC meter tests the battery condition and compares its charge acceptance , with its past charge acceptance , to give a really good idea of the batterys aging.

Disconnecting a maybe dozen batts 12 times a year vs $160 once , sure would not be my choice!
Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
FF wrote:

since a SOC meter tests the battery condition and compares its charge acceptance , with its past charge acceptance , to give a really good idea of the batterys aging.

So Fred,* I"m in the market for a new SOC meter, as my current Xantrex Link 10 has become suspect.Calls to Xantrex only results in an offer to service for about half the cost of a new one. How do the new meters display acceptance rate history?* What brand(s) do you recomend? Sure would be nice if I could use my current shunt and wiring though. ........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
FF
Guru

My favorite is www.bogartengineering.com/ -

These are made for alt energy homes and RV's , so will need to be inside , not on the fly bridge.

Depending on how much info you need you can stay simple or go for the one that talks to your computer for a second by second picture, and history.

We use them to keep the battset from going too low ,and harder a full recharge.

Should you want to make a hobby of batt charging , there the folks!