Check your VOM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
I was checking a 12v circuit with my Fluke VOM and it was reading 16+ volts. WTF? I had added a new charger last week but my Victron was showing 13.2v. Used the Fluke at the battery bank and it still showed over 16v. The battery indicator on the Fluke showed good. I put in a new battery into the Fluke and now all is well.

A brand new carbon zinc (not alkaline) battery should read 1.56 volts. That's a good test of your meter.

That said, I've never had a problem with my meters except when dropped or the time a friend who was "helping" me flipped on the breaker when I was making a continuity check.

Never had a multimeter read over voltage with a weak battery. Mine have generally refused to work. Glad you got it under control before the "fix it" demons woke up.

Last edited:
I too had the same problem a few days ago, I used my multi meter to check a battery I had charged and load tested and it showed 19V, wot the!!!! I then tested it with my spare multi meter and the battery showed 12.8v nice........... (this is after a 100 amp load test) I then used the spare multi meter to check battery out of my main multi meter and the 9v battery showed 3v, replaced it with a new 9v battery, and all is well again

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom