Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
Charts on tablet, pc, laptop or LCD off chartplotter

What works for you? Need to have larger display for vision. Have a Garmin 740S. Can we add a program, app or software that can be viewed as a chart plotter on a larger screen, LCD display or ? Needs to be real time like chart card in my garmin not from cell or satellite.

Thanks S.
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
I am using the Navionics app on my Samsung tablet. Love it!
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Garmin Blue Charts on an iPad.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Garmin Blue Charts on an iPad.
x2
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Timeless
Vessel Model: CHB 34
OpenCPN on a Windows 8.1 Laptop
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Well here goes.......I collected too many Apps when they first started coming out to see which was better. My choice is Nobeltec on (1).PC or (2).Ipad.

PC:
Nobeltec Time Zero Odyssey on Dell PC Windows 8, Lower helm.
Nobeltec VNS 10 on Panasonic Toughbook with built in gps, Windows XP Upper helm.

Ipad:
Nobeltec TZ App
Garmin BlueChart
Navionics
Navimatics
Plan2Nav

Use Nobeltec on both PC's and TZ App pretty much exclusively for navigation. A nice program is Splashtop, it allows the PC navigation programs to be displayed and manipulate on the Ipad screen thru the boats wifi network.....
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Free is good for me and I prefer looking at a raster nautical chart over any vector chart.

Someday the vectors may become a quantum leap over rasters, but I haven't seen that yet.

So my vote is Open CNN on a laptop.

For a flying bridge, it is a toss up whether going with a dedicated marine product is better.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Guru

Some fly bridges , like mine, don't have room for a pc. And trying to balance a PC whilst doing 18 kts, mmmm, that would be a challenge.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoteacher View Post
What works for you? Need to have larger display for vision. Have a Garmin 740S. Can we add a program, app or software that can be viewed as a chart plotter on a larger screen, LCD display or ? Needs to be real time like chart card in my garmin not from cell or satellite.

Thanks S.

A search here will turn up several threads on the topic.

Plan2Nav, MX Mariner apps on tablets, MaxSea Time Zero on a laptop or iPad, etc.

-Chris
Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Well here goes.......I collected too many Apps when they first started coming out to see which was better. My choice is Nobeltec on (1).PC or (2).Ipad.

PC:
Nobeltec Time Zero Odyssey on Dell PC Windows 8, Lower helm.
Nobeltec VNS 10 on Panasonic Toughbook with built in gps, Windows XP Upper helm.

Ipad:
Nobeltec TZ App
Garmin BlueChart
Navionics
Navimatics
Plan2Nav

Use Nobeltec on both PC's and TZ App pretty much exclusively for navigation. A nice program is Splashtop, it allows the PC navigation programs to be displayed and manipulate on the Ipad screen thru the boats wifi network.....
The nice thing about the Nobeltec products is both Raster and vector charts. Vector are more accurate . The nice thing about the vectors is the ability to layer detail as needed. It does take some getting used too.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
The nice thing about the Nobeltec products is both Raster and vector charts. Vector are more accurate . The nice thing about the vectors is the ability to layer detail as needed. It does take some getting used too.
Yes but I am "old" school and love Raster, can't get my head around looking at Vector. Guess I should use them more often and get with the new look.....
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #12

City: Portsmouth, NH

I like to run Open CPN on a cheapo netbook because:

1)power consumption is low
2)hardware purchase is super cheap now that everyone wants a super fancy tablet
3)HDMI output can go to pretty much any type of monitor
4)display on larger TV
5)going to flybridge? unplug and go upstairs
6)stolen...ok, go buy another one
7)doubles as fully functioning PC
8)can overlay additional information if you buy N2K components

I eventually would like to have the netbook above my helm where all the current electronics are. Take the current electronics and hang them up top. Keep TV screen where it is. If I install a wifi router on board, I can then dial my iPad up to simply display what is onscreen of the netbook. Then I can take that wherever I want. No special programming, no fancy purchases, no high dollar components that lose value instantly, etc.

Then again we are talking a 79' Mainship so this is light speed ahead in terms of value
Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
We WAY prefer vector charts to raster. Raster are simply pictures of charts. Zoom them up, they get less sharp. Vector are razor sharp no matter how much you zoom in. They have layers you can turn off or on depending on what you want you see and the information you want to have. The text layers are separate from the chart layers so the charts can be oriented any way one likes and the text will always be right side up.

If we had to operate our three boats with raster charts it would be taking a giant step backwards in our view.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #14
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Yes but I am "old" school and love Raster, can't get my head around looking at Vector. Guess I should use them more often and get with the new look.....
I had the same "learning curve." I still use raster mainly for shipping channels and entrances, but have grown used to the vector charts when out in open waters. Maybe I'll continue to shift, we'll see.

To answer the original question, besides the Simrad chart plotters built in, we use an iPad with the Garmin app (and Active Captain) together with a laptop with Nobeltec (with AIS and GPS routed it).

I know the Nobeltec has a larger entry cost, but I think it is a remarkable product. On the other hand if we were only cruising locally, I don't think it is necessary.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #15
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We WAY prefer vector charts to raster. Raster are simply pictures of charts. Zoom them up, they get less sharp. Vector are razor sharp no matter how much you zoom in.
Yes, and this is part of the reason I prefer the raster charts for channels, entrances, etc. On the vector charts you can easily zoom in past the accuracy of the data.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Charts on tablet, pc, laptop or LCD off chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We WAY prefer vector charts to raster. Raster are simply pictures of charts. Zoom them up, they get less sharp. Vector are razor sharp no matter how much you zoom in. They have layers you can turn off or on depending on what you want you see and the information you want to have. The text layers are separate from the chart layers so the charts can be oriented any way one likes and the text will always be right side up.

If we had to operate our three boats with raster charts it would be taking a giant step backwards in our view.

I feel the same exact way. Maybe because I'm younger and grew up using vector.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #17

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
OpenCPN running on a CubieTruck and connected to the mounted 42" 32" LCD TV.

If we were ever to start cruising for longer term (we do weekends and daytrips 99% of the time) then I'd replace the 42" with a smaller more power efficient TV. Even something in the 22" range will normally consume ~40 Watts. This one is higher than that, and even more wasteful as it runs off a dedicated inverter.

mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Yes, and this is part of the reason I prefer the raster charts for channels, entrances, etc. On the vector charts you can easily zoom in past the accuracy of the data.
I guess it depends an the quality of the vector chart. We have never experienced zooming in past the accuracy of the data (all of our plotters use C-Map). When we are in our marina and we zoom all the way in we see our boat sitting in our side of our slip. We routinely navigate passes that are less than 100 yards wide. Zooming in all the way does not eliminate detail, it simply blows the detail up larger on the screen. And that detail is every bit as sharp as it is when the display is zoomed out. And the lettering on the display stays the same nice, readable size regardless how tight or loose one is zoomed in on the chart.

A nice thing that can be done with the layered vector charts and that our new and newer plotters have is the ability to have all the lighted navaids on the chart light up. So if the lighted red buoy at the entrance to our marina has a one-long, two-short flash pattern, that's what it does on the chart display, too. Lighthouse patterns are there, as well. We don't run at night, but if we did this could be a very useful feature. And if one doesn't want it on for some reason, it's a menu selection to turn the lights off.

Based on our experience with vector charts in all our plotters (Furuno, Standard Horizon, and Echotec) I cannot fathom why one would want to use a pixel-based chart display that gets blurry when expanded, that makes words fuzzy and too big, etc.

To me, the difference is like comparing 4K High Definition video to the 525-line standard def video of the 1980s.

PS- Another great ability of vector charts is the overlay of real-time current data. This is particularly useful in this area with its wide current range and associated strong currents. On the Furuno on our PNW cruiser (the Echoec plotter, while vector, is too old to have this feature) current direction and speed data is only layered over the places where it can be important. So mainly the narrower passes through the islands and the channels that experience strong currents. There will be an arrow showing the direction and a number showing the speed, both tied to the current time of day. Not a substitute for a proper current guide, but a very useful feature at times.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
In unfamiliar areas I run one screen showing a large area and use the iPad to get in close to follow a track and see everything the chart will show, I use Garmin BlueChart Mobil on my iPad. The Standard Horizon cp590 at the lower helm will split the screen to do the same.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:42 PM   #20

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Antipodes
Vessel Model: Yachtsmiths
I just bought a Chromecast device for my 42" flatscreen. Now, using my andriod phone and the Furuno app, I can display my electronics on the big screen while lounging in the salon.

I just hollar up to the wife in the pilothouse when I feel the need to correct her driving!
Rsysol is offline   Reply With Quote