Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Charts for Eric

Eric--- Since you have an iPad I sent you a PM with an idea for a charting app that I think would come in handy on your upcoming trip from SE Alaska to La Conner. So check your PMs.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Great idea Marin. I'll do it if I can figure out how. Should'nt be difficult and I can probably do it quickly. I really appreciate this Marin. I usually surf for anchorages while under way on the chart plotter and have quite a number of paper charts but this i-pad app sounds very good indeed. Hope I do'nt run the batteries down too much.

Thanks
Eric

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Great idea Marin. I'll do it if I can figure out how. Should'nt be difficult and I can probably do it quickly. I really appreciate this Marin. I usually surf for anchorages while under way on the chart plotter and have quite a number of paper charts but this i-pad app sounds very good indeed. Hope I do'nt run the batteries down too much.

Thanks
Eric
Eric--- If you download the Navimatics chart app and the Active Captain data base I would STRONGLY advise you to do it using a WiFi connection as opposed to a 3G/4G connection if your iPad has 3G or 4G capability. Both downloads take a fair amount of time, particularly the Active Captain download which can take up to an hour. So you don't want to be running up a 3G or 4G bill or using up all your contract time while you do it.

The initial Active Captain data base download is what takes a long time. Once you have that the updates--- whenever you want to do them--- don't take long at all.

I should add that once you have subscribed to Active Captain you can use it on a computer, too. Use the same login username and password to sign in. Active Captain includes charts, too, when you use it on a computer, but not as many as the Navimatics app and some areas of the coast aren't covered by NOAA chart on Active Captain at all although you can use the map/satellite views. This is the beauty of the Navimatics iPad app--- you get all the Active Captain markers and all the charts, too.

As to your iPad batteries, if you don't already have one get the cigarette lighter cable for the iPad and install (if you don't already have one) a 12vdc cigarette lighter socket on your boat in the main cabin, preferably near the helm. Then you can run your iPad all day while you're underway and keep it fully charged up at the same time.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote