Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #21
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Two other excellent guides are Cruising the Secret Coast by Jennifer and James Hamilton, and Best Anchorages of the Inside Passage by Anne Vipond and William Kelly.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
You can use what you want for the tide and current tables BUT I strongly suggest getting the Cdn Gvt books, all three if needed for the area you are covering. They list all the reference ports and passes for tides and currents.

Yes, it may be a bit more work to work with them but they are the basis of the other books. The trouble is some of the other books skip some reference ports/passes which has caused trouble when we were travelling with other people. Those skipped references if, and I'll name one, Port and Passes , on a small tide change or current may not matter too much but on a big change could get you in trouble.

Yes, I'm cautious and the other books are easier but as we have found those skipped items caused too many [discussions].

Then use the other books for the nooks, cranniies, anchorages, etc. that the Gvt publications don't cover.

As a last note the plotter or chartware tables I find are too many times way off. I'm guessing they use a generic formula which may work OK where strong currents/big tides don't occur but that can be trouble.
JMO

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Sailing Directions, Canadian Gov't, is very good in addition to the others, also Walbran for place names.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #24
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
I'm going to add one more bug I have.

Total dependence on plotters and electronic charts.

I learned to use charts and still do. I'm no expert and would fail miserably now on actual plotting but I can still read them and learned to estimate distance and where I am going from an overview by their continued use.

We do have a GPS tied to our dedicated computer for chartware along with my wifes Nexus 7 with full GPS and chartware. Also our new and 2nd VHF, a Std. Hor., has a built in GPS and the MMSI #. We did for many years and can still run without electronics so do not depend upon them but rather use them to help us.

Now and for several years we have travelled with other folks who do not use paper charts, who rely totally on their plotters and chartware.

I noticed that if we strayed outside of our planned route they took a lot longer to orient themselves than I or the others who used paper did.

There have been outright equipment failures.

One, last trip, only had a simple resetting problem on one plotter which was fixed because another member had exactly the same unit and had learned on another trip how to deal with the problem. It was not an equipment failure but rather a software failing. The timing was the pits because we were in an area that had a pile of rocks. They had to follow us closely out of the area untill the reset of the chart list could be done without running aground.

It would appear the splits in chart loadings and loading areas are determined by people who have no experience in the area and maybe no boating. Maybe smart programmers but not boat operators/navigators.

If you are going to depend upon electronic plotters completely, dedicated plotters or a GPS guided PC, I think you are asking for trouble if you depend only on one device. They should be powered separately, not from the same source, so if one circuit dies the backup or alternate doesn't.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:10 AM   #25
Opu
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Murphy came aboard...

...one dark but not stormy night. I was racing to Ensenada and my hand-held GPS went dead (I didn't have a built-in). No problem; I had spare batteries. I put them in the unit, turned it on and nothing happened. Argh; batts were backwards. I reversed the batts and turned the unit on. It came up just fine, but the battery blunder had erased all my courses and waypoints. I did have paper charts....

Have you ever had a visit from Captain Murphy?

Dick
Retired from racing
Shopping for a cruiser near
Oceanside
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 AM   #26

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You can find most of these books at Fine Edge Publishing. If your going to the boat show you might find them there on sale. I have several of these books mentioned that have been autographed by the authors, which is kind of cool.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 AM   #27
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckelbuster View Post
Alaskan Sea-Duction, when we started cruising the Inside Passage I was armed with only a Raymarine E120. I quickly found this to less than desirable and needed more information.

I quickly purchase Coastal Explorer, suggest from a dock mate, for my laptop, Waggoner, Best Anchorage of the Inside Passage, Ports and Passage tide book and South Coast of BC, North Coast of BC, and Southeast Alaska. I have spent many hour read/purchasing cruising materials. Here is a great article to read. cruisingnw.com/tides-currents-and-rapids-in-the-inside-passage/.

Oh yeah, I bought paper charts that can take me past Cape Caution from the Second Wave. Unfortunately Second Wave close their doors this year.

After my first trip in 2010 I bought from the Canadian Fisheries and Oceans some digital charts to download to my laptop. Canadian Hydrographic Service.

With CE I can spend my time in the comfort of my home/boat charting/planning our route, determine departure time to make passage crossing at slack, mileage to waypoint and much more.

An Internet connection is not need for planning. As stated, when you have an internet connection and start up CE, the program will auto update. Also with the internet you can view photos of most anchorages. Below is an example.

Good luck in your quest and have a safe New Year.
Well that is very interesting. I notice that some of the photos featured in your screen capture are mine. I'm not concerned about copyright particularly, but am a bit surprised.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
From the CE website:
"Coastal Explorer's Guide Book also includes photos from all over the world via Panoramio."
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:56 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
From the CE website:
"Coastal Explorer's Guide Book also includes photos from all over the world via Panoramio."
Ah, that explains it. Thanks Mike!
Old 01-01-2015, 03:08 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Ah, that explains it. Thanks Mike!
By the way Conrad, nice photos of yours there!
Love the ones of the Enno's, I remember her........
Old 01-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
By the way Conrad, nice photos of yours there!
Love the ones of the Enno's, I remember her........
Thanks again Mike! You remember Dorian from her days in Sidney?
Old 01-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Clifton View Post
... I understand there is a chart store in Nanaimo that has every chart there is for BC. Take lots of money.
This isn't getting enough love. The store is Nanaimo Maps and Charts. As well as selling charts with up to date NotMar corrections they sell a lot of esoteric marine books. The owner is the next best thing to a hydrographer if you're looking for something unusual.

Nanaimo Maps & Charts - 8 Church St, Nanaimo, BC

But yeah, bring money. If I ever win the lottery...
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 PM   #33
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So this last weekend I talked to a Canadian official as they had a booth at the Seattle Boat show. I asked about the chart requirment. She asked me how many chart plotters I have. I states 2 with a computer back up. She told me that becuase I have at least one other chart plotter as a backup, then I am not required to purchase Canadian charts. However she did say I could download them for free.
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #34
Guru

[QUOTE= However she did say I could download them for free.[/QUOTE]

Did she say where they could be downloaded from...........
Old 01-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #35

City: Marysville, Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Just went to the Canadian web site. No mention of downloading them for free. Unless it has changed very recently I don't think they are free.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So this last weekend I talked to a Canadian official as they had a booth at the Seattle Boat show. I asked about the chart requirment. She asked me how many chart plotters I have. I states 2 with a computer back up. She told me that becuase I have at least one other chart plotter as a backup, then I am not required to purchase Canadian charts. However she did say I could download them for free.
That's what we did on our last trip north.

I didn't and don't carry paper charts anymore.

I do carry a spare chart chip as well as you indicated a second plotter.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
The Charts are $12, $15 and $18 and only available through dealers.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:07 AM   #38
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
What kind of Canadian official? I believe you are still recurred to carry charts.

http://www.charts.gc.ca/charts-carte.../index-eng.asp

If you have ENC charts with the very high end systems on large commercial ships, you don't need paper, however you might want to contact this email:

CHSInfo@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:19 AM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, 1995

Now just like the US for boats required to carry them, then...

(3) The chart may be in electronic form only if
(a) it is displayed on an ECDIS or, in the case of failure of the ECDIS, on a back-up arrangement; and
(b) the ECDIS
(i) in waters for which an ENC is available, is operated using the ENC,
(ii) in waters for which an ENC is not available, is operated using an RNC,
(iii) when the ECDIS is operating in the RCDS mode, is used in conjunction with paper charts that meet the requirements of subsections (1) and (2), and
(iv) is accompanied by a back-up arrangement.

However...

(2) The master and owner of a ship of less than 100 tons are not required to have on board the charts, documents and publications referred to in subsection (1) if the person in charge of navigation has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the ship is to be navigated is not compromised:
(a) the location and character of charted
(i) shipping routes,
(ii) lights, buoys and marks, and
(iii) navigational hazards; and
(b) the prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 AM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
I'm going to add one more bug I have.

Total dependence on plotters and electronic charts.
I agree. We have two full-size C-Map plotters (Echotec and Furuno) and a smaller, self-contained Standard Horizon C-Map plotter we can mount in a couple of places on the boat, and an iPad with a charting app that doesn't need connectivity to work and overlays the Active Captain data base.

(We don't believe in laptop based navigation for the simple reason that I use enough Microsoft systems at work to have long since learned there no way in hell am I going to trust our boat to an operating system the Microsoft Kids dreamed up.)

We also carry a full set of paper charts for everywhere we go or might go in Puget Sound/San Juans and BC. And we have the big chart books for the areas we go frequently. The paper charts stay rolled up in their container but the relevant chart book is always at the helm on a chart board.

We have all the navigation tools to use paper charts and in a pinch we could plot courses although we'd need to review the process first. We plotted some of the routes we use the most onto the charts in the chart books a long time ago so if we needed to follow them they're already there. We use the magnetic compass for holding our desired heading all the time anyway, so using the compass to follow a plotted course on a chart would be no big deal.

For books we carry a older Waggoner but don't use it other than as a reference for dock layouts in harbors. The guidebooks we use the most are the Douglas Guides and the Sailing Directions for US and Canadian waters. There is also a really nice book we found that covers anchorages and harbors in BC that we use a lot.

We carry several different current guides for US and BC waters and we use Ports and Passes for tides and current info for the passes. Our plotters all have tide and current info in their card databases and the Furuno and Standard Horizon depict current strengths in real time on the display, which comes in handy at times.

But while we use electronic navigation as our primary means of getting from Point A to Point B via Point C, we would not be without the paper charts, requirement or no requirement. The big map books in particular are very useful (as is the chart app in the iPad, which sits on top of the chartbook).

We do our cruise and route planning on the paper charts and/or chart books, although we are starting to do more planning with the iPad and Active Captain.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote