Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
Good day Marin, Do you find the flybridge feed tube annoying being right in the center of your helm wheel? I looked at a converted Lobster Trawler before I purchased mine and it had a similar wiring channel and I decided against the purchase.
Like the brace tube that runs diagonally across in front of the pilot in many smaller floatplanes like Cessnas, we don't even see the cable chase in front of the lower helm anymore. And we always drive from the lower helm.

So it's no issue whatsoever. I know it looks visually intimidating when you first see it but it takes no time at all before it becomes "invisible." Every GB has one and I have never talked to a GB owner who even brought it up so my guess is that, like us, they simply don't see it anymore.

We've had guests aboard some of whom were experienced boaters and others not so much, and when we've let them drive none of them has ever said a word about the chase in front of them.

This is why I find it amusing when people like Eric talk about the distraction of a bow rail out in front of them. Like the cable chase, our bow rail is totally "invisible" to us. We don't even see it anymore when were watching the water out ahead of it and it never obstructs anything, even a little crab pot float. The boat is aways moving and, standing or standing, the person at the helm is always moving a little. So the bow rail never obscures anything, even a little stick in the water, for more than a fraction of a second.

So in practical and perceptual terms our forward visibility is completely unobstructed.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #22
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Cool, I guess it is like the Admiral looking past my faults.. hey I hope it doesn't make it more visible now that someone mentioned it... sometimes that happens too

You are correct though, I never see the bow rail, the window frames, the built-in wiring chases, the defroster etc. when looking where I am heading..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Here is a shot of it in action during tonight's passage. Feels almost like I have night vision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	night.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	15269  
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 AM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Wow, do you? I mean have night vision with that on. Looks like it would blind you.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
That's with the brightness all the way up and even so with my eyes I do still have good night vision. I can't really explain it but my 5" Standard Horizon running C-Map has more glare

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote