Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: North Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1981 Grand Mariner 40
Chartplotter issue

Hello All, When I boot up my seven year old Garmin 4012 chart plotter it looks like this. After 10 to 15 minutes it corrects itself and works fine until it is turned off. Wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any comments or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
P_20171004_124115_vHDR_Auto.jpg  
GordC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 PM   #2

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Built in obsolescence. Time to buy a new one.

;-)
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Call garmin and ask. Maybe they had a fix for it. My Humminbird had a weird problem with VHF noise. They fixed it for free on a 4 year old unit and even covered the shipping.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Looks like an internal display memory or display controller connection issue, either the IC's themselves or an internal flex-film connector. Could be a solder joint on one of the IC's.

Once everything heat up internally, things expand, and the connection is re-established.

If you have a mind to, it might not be too bad just to take it apart and re-seat any of the display connectors inside. The display IC's would be a bit more work to re-heat solder, etc.

You can test this theory by finding a way to warm the unit (sun, oven on warm) and the powering it up from scratch and see if that fixes it. I assume that if it has "fixed itself" after a period of time and you switch it off and back on right away the problem is not there?

Just a thought.....
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #5

City: PNW
Vessel Model: American Tug 435
Another option if you haven't done this; Has it been a while since you updated the operating system software? Once its warm and running normal, you can go through the menu system to find out what SW version is currently running, then compare it to what Garmin has to offer on their website.

If its like the 5000 series it has an SD card slot to load new OS SW. You can make a software load SD card using a PC and the Garmin website (and its free), which takes you through the steps. then you insert the SD card into your chart plotter and it should automatically read it and load the new OS.
Hamrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
+1
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrow View Post
Another option if you haven't done this; Has it been a while since you updated the operating system software? Once its warm and running normal, you can go through the menu system to find out what SW version is currently running, then compare it to what Garmin has to offer on their website.

If its like the 5000 series it has an SD card slot to load new OS SW. You can make a software load SD card using a PC and the Garmin website (and its free), which takes you through the steps. then you insert the SD card into your chart plotter and it should automatically read it and load the new OS.
Good to always have latest software. Good recommendation.

Not to be argumentative in any way, but those symptoms are not a software (version) problem. Its memory or display controller hardware. (I'm a computer engineer and working on this kind of stuff for 25+ years.....)
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If you are not experienced with electronics repairs, opening it up isn't going to do you a lot of good. It's possible (as somebody mentioned) that it's caused by a loose connector and resetting the connectors might fix it but you would be better off having someone with experience trying this.

I could be wrong but I believe the 4012 series is more than seven years old. Garmin offers repairs (actually they exchange yours for a refurbished unit) but I suspect yours is too old to qualify. Contact them and ask.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
If you are not experienced with electronics repairs, opening it up isn't going to do you a lot of good. It's possible (as somebody mentioned) that it's caused by a loose connector and resetting the connectors might fix it but you would be better off having someone with experience trying this.

I could be wrong but I believe the 4012 series is more than seven years old. Garmin offers repairs (actually they exchange yours for a refurbished unit) but I suspect yours is too old to qualify. Contact them and ask.
This is a good point. My experience with Garmin has been very good with them going above and beyond regarding equipment that is out of warranty. Not speedy-fast, mind you, but good nonetheless.
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Since this problem only appears when you first turn it on why not leave it on 24/7?
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Great advice as always. I did update the firmware when the problem started but as Boathealer mentions it made no difference. Did get some nice new features though. Looks like my next step is to call Garmin.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Called Garmin yesterday. Their advice- use it until it breaks and start saving. Think I will see if I can find a electronics guy to take a look at it.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A long time ago marine electronics used to include drawings of the circuits inside the box to help troubleshoot problems and you could buy service manuals if so inclined. Now you send it back to the factory or buy another. Good luck. It least it still works eventually.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #14
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
It very much looks like a loose ribbon cable that connects the driver to the screen. If you bump it gently with your fist on one side or the other,does the screen flicker or get better or worse? If that's the case ,it's probably as simple as opening the case & reseating the cable.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Boomerang. Excellent tip. Booted up the Garmin yesterday and wouldn't you know it, it worked perfectly. Nothing more frustrating than an intermittent problem. Anyway I tapped it and no flickering. I think I will open it up anyway and reseat the cables as you suggest.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordC View Post
Thanks Boomerang. Excellent tip. Booted up the Garmin yesterday and wouldn't you know it, it worked perfectly. Nothing more frustrating than an intermittent problem. Anyway I tapped it and no flickering. I think I will open it up anyway and reseat the cables as you suggest.
Um, I think I suggested that in #4 above......

Was the ambient temperature warmer than previous? Colder?
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
Old 10-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes you did Boathealer. The old brain ain't what it used to be. It was considerably cooler than when it was happening this summer. About 50F and in the shade of my shed.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordC View Post
Yes you did Boathealer. The old brain ain't what it used to be. It was considerably cooler than when it was happening this summer. About 50F and in the shade of my shed.
That sounds like a good sign, GordC!

If any part of the copper connection is visible when you pull them apart (like the flat-flex cables), use a pencil eraser on the accessible copper surfaces to clean them. Then, also, see if you can find some di-electric grease ("bulb grease" in Wally World auto section) and put a TINY bit of it on the connections before you re-seat.

Just a couple of thoughts from an OCD-engineer who is anal about their boat stuff......
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Excellent stuff, thank you. Out of town for a week but will definitely follow your advice when I get back.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I opened the Garmin and couldn't spot any ribbon cables that appear to go to the screen. I am wondering if the four connectors on the left with the white wires are feeding the screen. I tried to disconnect one and couldn't so thought I better give up before I break something. I put the beast back together and of course it is working just fine. I'm thinking I will just use it until the top part of the screen fails permanently and I have something to show a technician.
Attached Thumbnails
P_20171101_111817_vHDR_On[1].jpg