I second that Benn.

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #22

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
RE: Chart plotter anguish

Benn,

I said the same thing before I used the CE program. Of course, you cannot leave the helm on automatic and take a nap, supervision is still required. The CE program can be set to notify you when the waypoint is reached, but not make the turn. The voice will tell you that you have arrived and what the new course is. If you do become distracted watching whales or whatever, the voice is a reminder. I would suppose that other chart plotters have a waypoint arrival alarm. The program also has a digital readout showing distance and time to go to the waypoint. These functions were shown in my old GPS which did not have a plotter. I would not want the program to steer the autopilot at a waypoint without a notification.

When I started using the CE program, I activated the course, and set the autopilot manually, and changed it manually at each waypoint. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we have a lot of current, which can vary along the course. Using the autopilot manually, I had to correct for the current set a lot. This resulted in the boat always being slightly off the course line. The CE controlled auto pilot mode is a lot more accurate, and corrects constantly to keep the boat on the line. This makes the radar observations more accurate, and lets the other boats see my course more accurately.

One of the great features for my area is showing the AIS targets and their predictor line on the screen. The predictor line is a dotted line extending ahead of the target, showing where it will be in the future if it maintains the same course and speed. I set the predictor lines for both the AIS targets and my boat to 10min. (its adjustable) This allows me see if there are any conflicts coming up with a tug and tow or a ferry, and make course adjustments early. Seeing the AIS targets and their names also allows me to call them directly by name on the VHF if there will be a problem. When I am crossing with a ferry, and I am the stand on vessel, I usually call them and tell them I will cross behind them. The ferrys in WA and BC have enough to worry about without having to yield to a yacht.

Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Larry H

I to boat in the PNW. I have all the bells and whistles. I'm with Benn and SoF. There are too many logs, small vessels like kayaks, whales*etc that concern me so we keep a helm's person on duty at all times.* Not all large vessels operate their Class A AIS to be received by a Class B setup. Not to mention US and Canada regs on the Definition of "watch."
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #24

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27

Sunchaser,

I DO NOT operate without a watch. Someone is on duty and maintaining watch at all times. I have found that my watchkeeping is actually better as I am relieved of the constant steering duty, and able to better monitor the water around the boat, and the various instruments. I can actually study the water ahead, with binocs if required, for logs, kayaks, skiffs, etc. without wandering off the course line.

My AIS unit is receive only, and receives both A and B. In US waters all commercial vessels over 300tons are required to broadcast AIS signals. In Canada, I have found many tugs that do not broadcast AIS signals. AIS is a great addition to safety as the signal can be 'seen' around corners and over islands, where the radar doesn't work. I consider my boat to be rather small at 37ft to be broadcasting AIS so I don't have a transciever. I think the smaller boats should keep a watch and use the AIS to stay out of the way or be aware of the big guys. Having AIS makes traffic monitoring easier. I still have one VHF set to the traffic channel, and the other to 16. Hearing the big guys report positions and then seeing their AIS signal on the plotter increases the safety factor. Canadian tugs not broadcasting AIS still require listening, logging, and radar confirmation. Last summer, I found many of the 70-80+ft yachts broadcasting AIS. Sometimes its hard to get clear of a large fast yacht or commerical boat when they are running fast and I can only make 7-8 knots.

I have been at this boating stuff for 30 years, I hold a USCG Masters license, and in my opinion, I am safer, and operate with a lower stress level with CE and autopilot to augment radar, VHF, depthsounder, and manual watch keeping.

I hope to see you 'on the coast' somewhere. Are you going north this summer?
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Larry H wrote:
I have 'Otto' (the autopilot), to do the steering.
******** We used to call the autopilot "Iron Mike."

******* Welcome to the 21rst century!

Back in 1981 when I had my trawler, I had an autoX.* I would line the trawler up on course, jamb a kleenex box in the wheel, and walk out and sit on the front trunk cabin.* Nothing happened fast on that trawler.* It was a better vantage point for a lookout.* Oh, for the simple life.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Hi Tim it has been awhile since you wrote this so maybe you have it all sorted out already. *

So my thought for YOU--do you have the room to keep your existing plotter as a radar screen and install the chartplotter you WANT next to it??* You could upgrade to digital radar LATER and get rid of the old chartplotter then?* Just depends how much real estate you have and how much you like overlaying your radar onto your GPS--which I guess you could still do.* might make the boat look pretty bad ass to have two chartplotters

Anyway, just a thought.
*Hi Jennifer,

No I have not got this figured out. I got all the hardware hooked up but could not get the plotter to accept the routes from my computer. I think the problem is Open CPN the nav program on my computer.*

I decided to buy a Garmin 740 GPS which has a touch screen and I believe a 7" wide screen. After using it for 13 days on our Key West Cruise I like it, but it does not have some of the features I am used to, like a CDI ( course deviation indicator). But and hears what sold me, the touch screen. You can't beat it for qucikly finding info and route plotting. Gone are the days of using a track pad, thank God.*

It's a little pricy but the cheapest touch screen on the market I believe. It will display digital radar data, but mine is analog. Good for future use.*

I still use our old unit for the radar and chart plotter, it works fine, and when I get it to accept routes from my computer it will be great. The radar is invaluable as we were able to see the extent and size of a T storm as we were approaching an anchorage.*
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Tim that touch screen sounds great!* when we are ready to really upgrade our electronics we will have to check that out.* Though by that time the*models will have all changed.

With people telling their names for their auto pilot, the one on our Sanata 30/30 GP (sailboat) was named Auto Van Helm. * I look forward to the day we have a working autopilot on PG.* I have to agree it makes it much easier to keep a weather eye out while staying on course!!!* My*dear husband is notorious for tracking starboard when*he is trying*to check something out.* I, on the*other hand, just plain can't steer a straight line.* * Luckily PG tracks pretty well!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Chart plotter anguish

These displays would be neat to have (and all the gear to make it happen).

*(Leaving Vigo, Spain)

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 21st of May 2011 01:22:47 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #29
Guru

Chart plotter anguish

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
* I look forward to the day we have a working autopilot on PG.* I have to agree it makes it much easier to keep a weather eye out while staying on course!!!* My*dear husband is notorious for tracking starboard when*he is trying*to check something out.* I, on the*other hand, just plain can't steer a straight line.* * Luckily PG tracks pretty well!
*I try and limit my autopilot use especially in channels which is most of the time. My planning hull does not track well below planning speeds on autopilot or not. Works great above 12 kts though.*

Mark,

Too much information. I'd probably run over somebody trying to decipher a display like that, but it sure looks cool. --- Rudder Economy????

-- Edited by timjet on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 07:17:16 AM
Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Tim we are usually in relatively open water so will have good conditions for the auto pilot. It showed signs of life yesterday so we are hopeful that it actually works.

I have to agree those screens mark posted would be info overload for me.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
... . I have to agree those screens mark posted would be info overload for me.
*Don't have to be fighter pilots to make easy use of those screens.* It's just a matter of focusing on the information relevant at the time (I'm thinking).* And I'm saying this from the perspective of a guy whose most complex navigational*aides*have been*charts and compass.* Are you saying that depthometer, radar, autopilot, and gps are beyond me?* No!* You're all "pulling my leg," aren't you?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:
... . I have to agree those screens mark posted would be info overload for me.
*Don't have to be fighter pilots to make easy use of those screens.* It's just a matter of focusing on the information relevant at the time (I'm thinking).* And I'm saying this from the perspective of a guy whose most complex navigational*aides*have been*charts and compass.* Are you saying that depthometer, radar, autopilot, and gps are beyond me?* No!* You're all "pulling my leg," aren't you?

*LOL I look at a computer all day.* I prefer having a little less data presented to me at one time when I am "relaxing" on my boat.* It is not that the data is not valuable, but for my middle aged brain it is too busy, too much on one screen at one time.* If you can take all that in, hone in on the piece you need at that moment, more power to you!* I don't mind having to look at different instruments or page through screens to check through things as needed.* Probably if I used something like those all the time I'd get used to it but I'll stick with simple for now!* * I'm just glad my depth gauge decided to work again!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #33
Guru

As a professional pilot flying modern electronic aircraft, the informational available for systems and navigation can be overwelming. The designers have done a good job of presenting relavent information in a timely fasion. However all information is available if needed.