Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 PM   #101

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
And, where do I get solid H2O fuel? (I assume they don't mean ice)
Just dehydrate the water. All what's left is dry and solid ...

Old 01-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #102
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
They can go on either side, there's 2 covers with gears under them that will drive it. One is a cam drive and the other a balance shaft.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #103
FF
Guru

Quote:
They can go on either side, there's 2 covers with gears under them that will drive it. One is a cam drive and the other a balance shaft.
Check with DD for the max HP that can be removed , and check that the speed of the shaft will get the alt spinning fast enough at modest engine RPM.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #104
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
You have to have CHIT cells. I always thought you flushed those.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #105
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I believe that one of these drive the turbo which means the other may drive the alternator. I can't believe that they are interchangeable. So I definitely need to talk to DD

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #106
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I believe that one of these drive the turbo which means the other may drive the alternator. I can't believe that they are interchangeable. So I definitely need to talk to DD

I believe the turbo is driven by the exhaust gases, and the gears drive the roots blower on the side or in case of a V configuration in the center top.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #107
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

I believe the turbo is driven by the exhaust gases, and the gears drive the roots blower on the side or in case of a V configuration in the center top.
Yes I think that s right. I guess what I am interested in is what the difference is between the road version and the marine version of the DD671 in this area. The apt. fits the road unit but will it fit the marine unit?

Old 01-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #108
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Yes I think that s right. I guess what I am interested in is what the difference is between the road version and the marine version of the DD671 in this area. The apt. fits the road unit but will it fit the marine unit?

I think that will depend on the how the engine was marinized. The location of heat exchangers and other installed equipment may preclude some options here.

My experience has mostly been with road version. I started driving 6-53 and 71 powered trucks 56 years ago. When we got our first 220hp Cummins, we thought we were really cooking.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 PM   #109
Guru

[QUOTE="Moonstruck;207651"]

I think that will depend on the how the engine was marinized. The location of heat exchangers and other installed equipment may preclude some options here.

That's what I'm getting at. I need to drive an 1.5 hours to where it is winter stored Just to get a look.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #110
Guru

[QUOTE=mbevins;207655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post

That's what I'm getting at. I need to drive an 1.5 hours to where it is winter stored Just to get a look.

Take pictures and post them. FF seems to know that engine inside out.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #111
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There are three power take off ports on the back of an inline 671: The two big upper ones are camshaft and balance shaft. They both spin same rpm as crankshaft, and spin in opposite rotation from each other. There is a smaller port right aft of blower drive shaft, that one spins faster than crank/cam/balance shafts, but also probably can handle less load. Depending on what is behind engine, ports may be already used (sea water pump, allison hydraulic, tach sender, small alt, etc. Or access may be obscured by turbo and other stuff.

Post a photo of back of engine.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #112
Guru

Correct. There is no difference in truck engines and marine in this regard. A sea water pump will be on one. Allison gears will have a hydraulic pump on the blower drive. Twin disc has it on the trans. The alternator was designed by DD so pto load is not a factor. IIRC, the blower drive is above the cam and balance shaft covers on the v series, below on the inline 1,2,3,4 and 6-71s. It turns at about 2 to 1. The cam and balance shaft turn at 1 to 1. Unlike the cam on a fourstroke that turns at 2 to 1. These 50DN alternators are nowhere near new stuff. They have been used on DDs since the early 60s. We are not inventing the wheel here.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #113
Guru

Forgot, the alternator can turn either direction and is geared to make power at idle. The problem with getting an aircooled alt. to make decent power at low rpm is heat. 50DNs are oil cooled so heat is not a problem, hence they can make way more power at low rpm than any other alt. without overheating.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #114
FF
Guru

On GM coaches in order to operate the air cond and have the alt make over the 160A required by the blowers the >hi idle< switch gave about 1100 RPM with an 8V71 as power.

At idle , 400RPM the oil pressure was expected to be below 5psi , so hi idle was required.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #115
Guru

The low oil pressure buzzers on DDs will drive you crazy, especially in a sportfisher. We set the idle at about 600 or 650. DD called for 500 to 550. In any case, when you pull back from planing speed to idle the bells and ringers will go off until everything settles down. Later DDs and DDECs had time delays added into the alarms.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #116
Guru

So in the perfect world, I throw this bad boy on the back end of my 671 TIB , add a 24V battery bank, preferably GC batteries, add my biggest inverter and turn off the Genny.

I assume I should go to a 3rd party newer style regulator.

Next dumb question, how much load does this unit put on the engine. Yes I know its subject to current draw at the AC side. Will it be greater then a standard belt driven unit?
I ask this because my main purpose for install is preparation for the Loop. When you do the math to run the Genny for the trip it's pretty dear.. It pays for this whole install with change left over. Not to mention the wear on the genny .

I'd hate to give all the fuel back after installing this guy.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #117
Guru

The thing is, you're running the 6-71 anyway, it's not even close to loaded at 7 or 8 mph. So the big alt. is an excellent tradeoff. Busses usually have gens to but are only used on an overnight stay in a parking lot. As for the load, maybe someone can do the math for us. 270 amp full load at 24 volts converted to killowatts then to hp. It's a bunch. A 15 kw gen burns a bunch in a day. Plus maintenance. ZERO maintenance on the 50DN. You would maybe still run the gen at anchor, if needed. But, anytime the mains are running you wont need the gen, saving hours on it and fuel. Even at 1/2 gallon per hour on the gen, and 8 hours per day run time (optomistic?) that is 4 gpd, or $16. Then upkeep and mechanical depreciation. You would need to crunch your own numbers and see if it works for you. If you cruise a lot it's a no brainer. Anchor out mostly, not so great.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #118
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
As for the load, maybe someone can do the math for us. 270 amp full load at 24 volts converted to killowatts then to hp. It's a bunch.
270A * 24V = 6480W = 6.480KW.

6.480 KW * 1.341 hp/KW = 8.690 hp.
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #119
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
QB wow .... and I really like your full displacement boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #120
Guru

So, bout 9 hp, not such a big deal but more than just about any other alt. available. A 15 kw gen needs about 20 hp so its a decent trade. Unless of course you factor in running the main at lower than optimum loads, then 9 hp is a net gain, unlike the gen, which is total loss. If you have 2 of these you can run all of the ac load you could ever need, as in a twin engine boat. I have found that when I run all day without the ac on it takes hours to get the inside temps liveable in the summer due to heat soak from the engines. With the big alt.s you can crank the cool down and keep a better load on your mains. Win Win.