Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #81
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
While you are waiting for these amazing devices to be commercialized, you might consider investing with me and purchasing a bridge that is for sale in Brooklyn, NY.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #82
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I can see it now. The batteries are down, launch the tender and circle the boat.

However, the Chaotic Motion Generator might be useful in eliminating the need to row across the Atlantic in a small boat.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #83
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
That is by far the most fantastic invention I have seen in a while (and I do read gizmodo and gizmag daily).
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 AM   #84
Guru

Someone here developed a new wave powered electricity generator. It was tethered (so they thought) to the seafloor, had vanes which moved back and forth by wave action, somehow generating electricity. My last memory of it is seeing the whole catastrophe washed up on the beach, I don`t think it was reattached.
This thing however, may actually work.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #85
FF
Guru

When I was in Hi Skool with my first $75, 21 ft sail boat keeping it afloat at a mooring always required bailing or pumping.

The best solution was a large (double action) car fuel pump, from a junk yard , with an arm and lead weight attached to the operating lever.

When hung down on a wooden mount to prevent lead over travel , any tiny wave action would pump some water overboard .

Not much per stroke , but enough to lift overboard heavy rain in a day or two.

Using wave action is hardly new!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #86
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Using wave action is hardly new!
No. But six axis of motion generation is.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #87
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
And unlike solar, it will charge 24 hours a day, rain or shine, snow or birdcrap. My guess is a viable production unit will not be much larger than a small boat water heater and produce as much or more power than a useful size solar panel.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #88
FF
Guru

Sort of a conflict here , most cruisers I know anchor in very protected water to avoid both wind and sea motion.

Anchoring out next to the fairway to charge the batts seems as unlikely as running from side to side daily for hours to rock the boat.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #89
Scraping Paint

Who said it takes a great deal of motion to produce a bit of power? If no one rolled or pitched at anchor why are so many here talking about passive stabilizers?

The conflict is self induced.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #90
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
This will be great on the ICW. No more slow passes. People will be asking me to wake them. I may even consider taking credit card numbers for a nominal charge for the service. Just thinking how much could be made from waking a whole anchorage.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #91
Scraping Paint

So who says the whole boat has to rock and roll?

The thing could be housed in a sphere and tossed over the side connected by the power lead.

You guys really need to start thinking outside the box.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #92
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The wizbang stuff is interesting but back to the original line of thought, Doesnt anyone have inverter/chargers. I have a pair of ME2000s and 8 t105 GC batteries. They can charge at 200 amps, each is on a seperate leg of the 120/240 gen, bulk recharge is fairly quick, depending on state of discharge. The engines have the standard external regulated 150 amp Leece Neville alt.s My plan is to add 2 50DN bus alternators that can put out 270 amps at 24 volts. They are direct gear driven off the cam gear at the rear of the engine, these are Detroit Diesels btw. We also have a "big enough" solar panel to keep the batteries up in case of a prolonged power outage when we're not there, just for bilge pumps, alarms, gps tracker, etc.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 PM   #93
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
The wizbang stuff is interesting but back to the original line of thought, Doesnt anyone have inverter/chargers. I have a pair of ME2000s and 8 t105 GC batteries. They can charge at 200 amps, each is on a seperate leg of the 120/240 gen, bulk recharge is fairly quick, depending on state of discharge. The engines have the standard external regulated 150 amp Leece Neville alt.s My plan is to add 2 50DN bus alternators that can put out 270 amps at 24 volts. They are direct gear driven off the cam gear at the rear of the engine, these are Detroit Diesels btw. We also have a "big enough" solar panel to keep the batteries up in case of a prolonged power outage when we're not there, just for bilge pumps, alarms, gps tracker, etc.
I'm getting ready to install an inverter package. I also have DD (671s) . Can you expand on the alternated you mentioned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #94
Guru

It's the 50DN, used on big buses, gear driven. Most are 24 volt, but I think it can be had in 12 volt, 24 would be much better. The 5oDN is oil cooled and pressure lubricated with a line from the engine and a return. It's pretty big, looks about like a trash can . These are the end all do all of alternators, everything else are just posers compared to it. They are designed to run at max 270 amp load for at least 1,000,000 miles. Two of them and a pair of 5000 watt inverters should be able to run my boats 120 electrical load while cruising. Including the air conditioning. I like the Victron inverters for the "assist" feature, which would be nice when we only have a 30 amp service available or low voltage situations. However, I am VERY impressed with the folks at Magnum Energy. Great products and excellent service. When you call there you will actually talk to an American tech, that knows his product.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #95
Guru

Quote:
It's the 50DN, used on big buses, gear driven. Most are 24 volt, but I think it can be had in 12 volt, 24 would be much better. The 5oDN is oil cooled and pressure lubricated with a line from the engine and a return. It's pretty big, looks about like a trash can . These are the end all do all of alternators, everything else are just posers compared to it. They are designed to run at max 270 amp load for at least 1,000,000 miles. Two of them and a pair of 5000 watt inverters should be able to run my boats 120 electrical load while cruising. Including the air conditioning. I like the Victron inverters for the "assist" feature, which would be nice when we only have a 30 amp service available or low voltage situations. However, I am VERY impressed with the folks at Magnum Energy. Great products and excellent service. When you call there you will actually talk to an American tech, that knows his product.
Thx I'll look into them. I agree with you about the 24V. I can probably do that as I'm planning a stand alone system for this. My only concern is real estate for batteries. Have you looked at the Sterling inverter? Thoughts? I was drawn to them because they can offer a complete solution including the alternator. I believe they are US based as well.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #96
Guru

I have not looked at the Sterling inverters. I did have one of my ME2000s stop working once. I called Magnum Energy and they put me over to a tech. He identified the problem from what I told him and his experiences with these units. He asked if I was looking at the inverter, I said yes. He told me to pull the top off, move a few things out of the way (wires and small components) until I could see the small red MOV unit. I says "ok, found it" he says "cut it out" so I did. Then he says "ok, reconnect the inverter and turn it on. I told him "you didnt tell me to turn it off and unhook it when we started this". he got a good laff outa that. And I had on a pair of rubber electric repair gloves. Anyway its worked great since then. They told me if I sent it in they would fix it at no charge even tho it was a few years out of warranty. I didnt want to wait.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #97
FF
Guru

The 5oDN is oil cooled and pressure lubricated with a line from the engine and a return.

There are loads of 12V units and a quick Google will show air cooled conversions.

In bus conversions a 24V will frequently be feeding a Trace 2440 and run two rooftops.

These are commercial grade ,and price, but happily they have been produced for so many decades that used or rebuilt is easy to find.

The problem is they are about 100lbs and may be hard to fit to a 6-71 PTO.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:01 PM   #98
Guru

Also in my case I need it to charge at low RPM since I'm a planing hull. I'm prepping for the Loop so I'll be running at 700rpm a lot. This is to supply the inverter I'm installing.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #99
Guru

They fit any 71 series DD, and 53s if you can find the fitments and inner gear. They will charge more at idle than any other alternator made, busses sit at idle for hours on end running the full dc load. And, NO BELTS. It is a large unit, but its a one time deal, put them on and forget it. You will never wear one out or overload it.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
They fit any 71 series DD, and 53s if you can find the fitments and inner gear. They will charge more at idle than any other alternator made, busses sit at idle for hours on end running the full dc load. And, NO BELTS. It is a large unit, but its a one time deal, put them on and forget it. You will never wear one out or overload it.
I just need to check real estate then. If it's at the back end I may have a conflict with the turbo.