Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #21
City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan

Did you get to the bottom of your problem. So many times we all engage with our opinions to help with a problem; then never get the benifit of knowing the outcome...

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member
City: Olympia
Vessel Model: 43 Ocean Tri-cabin w/Cummins V555
Got back to boat today and did find a few answers.
My start bank is 2 8d wired together for a 12 volt starter. This double bank starts both engines and both Alts go to the start bank. Then to the battery switches then to the house bank.

I was measuring with the DVM from the forward battery. When i moved the DVM to the aft battery it would show a charge when the alt kicked which is the same time the amp gauge shows a charge. And the fwd battery would charge at a lower rate.

Well the alt is putting out, not as high as one would like but it is working. So it looks like the voltage drop from the alt to the battery will mean more battery cable replacement. The suspect cable between the start batteries will be investigated later this week. The suspect is the welding wire. The entire boat was wired this way but its getting better. Just rewired the house bank side last month. Battery cable is getting pricy these days....

The joy of boats continues.

Thank you all for your help

Harbor Nights is offline   Reply With Quote