Old 12-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Charger always on?

Hi All,

The new charger goes in this week. Weve had the good boat a year and a half and have always left the shore power on which meant the charger was on (wired that way). Im wiring the charger through a circuit breaker and was thinking about whether or not I should continue to leave the charger on all the time. One 8D for the starter and 4 GC batteries for the house. I go to the boat once a week and stay over couple nights a month. The batteries are all wet cell. Never studied batteries enough to know if they get shortened life from always being on the charger.

Input and opinions?

Dave_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

The new charger goes in this week. Weve had the good boat a year and a half and have always left the shore power on which meant the charger was on (wired that way). Im wiring the charger through a circuit breaker and was thinking about whether or not I should continue to leave the charger on all the time. One 8D for the starter and 4 GC batteries for the house. I go to the boat once a week and stay over couple nights a month. The batteries are all wet cell. Never studied batteries enough to know if they get shortened life from always being on the charger.

Input and opinions?
I installed a sterling 60A charger this year and was a bit concerned to keep it on all the time (always worrying when installing something new and leave the boat for a week). However like most of the time it was more worrying than needed. Moreover the charger detect full charge and stop charging if full charge is maintained for a period of time and resume when there is enough draw to justify it.
I prefer to keep it connected all time while away, mainly to be able to leave the dock with full charged batteries.

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I installed a sterling 60A charger this year and was a bit concerned to keep it on all the time (always worrying when installing something new and leave the boat for a week). However like most of the time it was more worrying than needed. Moreover the charger detect full charge and stop charging if full charge is maintained for a period of time and resume when there is enough draw to justify it.
I prefer to keep it connected all time while away, mainly to be able to leave the dock with full charged batteries.

L
I have a Sterling as well in the 40 amp size. Since the idle voltage drops to just 13v there is no charger stress on the batteries from a high voltage idle. I leave mine on all the time, but did wire it through a breaker so I have some additional control. The remote panel for this charger keeps you fully informed as to what it is doing all the time...a nice feature.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #4

City: Puget Sound
if it's a smart (3 or more stage) it's probably best to leave on..... If it's an old school constant voltage probably best to put it on a timer and let it run 15 minutes or so a day when you're not on the boat
Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you have a multi stage charger that stops changing completely, no reason to not leave it plugged in. If you develop a leak, I would want the bilge pumps to have an endless supply of power.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I am on the boat nearly every day and run the charger while on board and turn it off when I leave.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23- outboard
In addition to the good advice above to leave it on, if it has two outputs and most do, then wire one each separately to the start and house banks.

Then you need a way to keep them isolated. Many use the 1,2,all,off switch which works fine unless you forget to change it while hanging out on the hook. A combiner, ACR or Echo Charger is a set and forget solution.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have 2 Promariner chargers on the boat. I leave them on 24X7 since they sense when the batteries are full and shutdown.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

City: Gustavus, AK
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
I have a Sterling charger and I leave it on all the time. The boat is on the hard now with the batteries in it. I disconnect the battery temperature sensor at the charger. This is so the charger doesn't compensate for low temps and raise the voltage. As it is on all the time the lower voltage is better for long term storage.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #10

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-guy View Post
I have a Sterling charger and I leave it on all the time. The boat is on the hard now with the batteries in it. I disconnect the battery temperature sensor at the charger. This is so the charger doesn't compensate for low temps and raise the voltage. As it is on all the time the lower voltage is better for long term storage.
Good idea about NOT up compensating for the colder battery. Otherwise, fully agree with leaving the charger on, especially for the power available for the bilge pumps.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you have a multi stage charger that stops changing completely, no reason to not leave it plugged in. If you develop a leak, I would want the bilge pumps to have an endless supply of power.

Ted

Ted's above post presents a wise reason to leave smart chargers on 24/7.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #12

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Thanks everyone for the outstanding responses and input! The one that really stands out is the temp sensor wire. Since the engine room stays 40-50 degrees all winter, better not to have the charger giving them too much based on winter temps. Thank you all. MERRY CHRISTMAS ��

Dave
Old 12-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Ted's above post presents a wise reason to leave smart chargers on 24/7.
I agree but I am not sure if the pump continuously running would live long enough to deplete the battery bank. Even a 10A pump would need to run more than 24h continuously before empty totally a modest bank, not sure it would not burn before that (and I do not want to know as I do not want to face this situation).

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
I agree but I am not sure if the pump continuously running would live long enough to deplete the battery bank. Even a 10A pump would need to run more than 24h continuously before empty totally a modest bank, not sure it would not burn before that (and I do not want to know as I do not want to face this situation). L
We’ve used Rule bilge pumps for live bait wells that have run for 4-5 days at a time and never burned one up. That doesn’t mean I want to test one on Hobo though.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
I agree but I am not sure if the pump continuously running would live long enough to deplete the battery bank. Even a 10A pump would need to run more than 24h continuously before empty totally a modest bank, not sure it would not burn before that (and I do not want to know as I do not want to face this situation).

L

If a pump has a short life expectancy, it should be replaced. If there is a leak with a failed pump it would not matter if the battery bank was connected to a charger, the boat would eventually sink.

foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote