Old 07-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

charger and alternator suggestions wanted

I have an old NewMar charger capable of charging two batteries. I'm not too sure it is suited for the liveaboard load that I'm putting on it, as it is warm to the touch, and seems to feel the need to bring the batteries up to a high voltage often (is that called bumping?). I also know that dying batteries might be part of the equation, but I'd like to get suggestions on a good charger designed for liveaboard boats.

A quick search*brought me to a*Samlex SEC-12304 for $219. I'll keep looking, but I'd love suggestions.

On a related note, I have an older style Silver BUllet alternator with an external regulator AND a Quad Cycle regulator/monitor. I've been told to get rid of all that #@*! and get a regular alternator.

Any thoughts?

wakeybake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #2

RE: charger and alternator suggestions wanted

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/produ...12851&did=4868

Well, I found my charger at Fisheries, and they make it sound like the bee's knees. So perhaps I'm just dealing with dying batteries. Right now I have it connected to one 8D(deep cycle) and to my 4D starting battery. Does anyone see any problem with this?

wakeybake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

I don't want to pretend to know anything about the charger or the alternator you have.* In my mind unless there is something I do not know about that particular alternator set up it should be*OK and if the charger is a multistage charger it should be OK as well.* The ideal set up is to not split the charger no matter what*brand it is*between two batteries.* The same with the alternator's regulator.* The chargers out put will be split between the two banks if you put one leg to one bank and the other leg to the other bank.* So a 40A charger is only putting 20A to each bank and your start battery just doesn't need it.* The ideal is to put all 40A from the charger to*the B+ of your eight D and use an item called an Echo Charger to charge the four D.* The from the regulator for the alternator you run the output to the same place on the eight D the B+.

In this manner the house eight D gets all it wants and needs and the four D gets what it really needs.* Your combiner switch stays on #2 unless you have a problem. That would be when you switch to #1*and the engine doesn't start*with the four D, in which case you can switch to both start the engine and go back to #2.

Here is the Echo charger on line:

http://www.solar-electric.com/echo-charger.html
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #4
Guru

I bought iota chargers with there smart feature Great price and great product I had xantrex before giant improment
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #5
JD
Guru

Quote:
wakeybake wrote:
http://www.fisheriessupply.com/produ...12851&did=4868

Well, I found my charger at Fisheries, and they make it sound like the bee's knees. So perhaps I'm just dealing with dying batteries. Right now I have it connected to one 8D(deep cycle) and to my 4D starting battery. Does anyone see any problem with this?
*I went on line and looked at the kind of*charger you have.* You didn't mention if it was a 8A or 25A but* neither of the Newmars are 3 stage smart chargers according to the write up.* They are very old technology, Bees*knees but really old Bees.* Somewhat like having an old pick up, six cylinder standard shift on the floor.* Yes it will do the job but there are way newer trucks out there that will do the job far better and use less fuel.* You might want to read*up on battery care and maintenance.* Here is a good site for information.

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Voltages

I do not see how you will ever get your batteries up to the correct voltage and then keep them there with the old style chargers.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

My Newmar phase III charger has been a truly plug and play item on my boat. http://www.newmarpower.com/Phase_Three/Phase_Three.html

I*put it in maybe 8 years ago and have basically forgotten about it. That's the way I like my boat equipment!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

A lot depends on the kind of batteries, (flood/Wet, Gel or AGM,), size of batteries, total amps used/required, and then what charger.* The good old standard low tech flood/wet batteries are still the cheapest and the best bang for the buck, 8-D cost $150.00 bucks, they do not require multi stage chargers, and last almost as long as the high price fancy batteries.* I tend to go low tech that is proven/dependable and separate units so I know what is on/working and back up. *
Every year the electricity blows and we have been several weeks with out power in the dead of winter below freezing. We run the gen set 4 hours in the morning, 2 hours in the after noon, and 4 hours before going to bed. **DC is flat, not cycle HTZ, so more than one charging source can be used.* I use three cheap, 60 amp chargers, one for each battery.* The main charger is a 30+ year old, 6 lead, 80 amps charger, that fully charges the batteries and the batteries last for 7+ years.* The only draw back on the wet/flood is checking the water level.*
So back to your question, it depends!* I would not take out the old charger but added to the battery/charging system.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
JD wrote:
I don't want to pretend to know anything about the charger or the alternator you have.* In my mind unless there is something I do not know about that particular alternator set up it should be*OK and if the charger is a multistage charger it should be OK as well.* The ideal set up is to not split the charger no matter what*brand it is*between two batteries.* The same with the alternator's regulator.* The chargers out put will be split between the two banks if you put one leg to one bank and the other leg to the other bank.* So a 40A charger is only putting 20A to each bank and your start battery just doesn't need it.* The ideal is to put all 40A from the charger to*the B+ of your eight D and use an item called an Echo Charger to charge the four D.* The from the regulator for the alternator you run the output to the same place on the eight D the B+.

In this manner the house eight D gets all it wants and needs and the four D gets what it really needs.* Your combiner switch stays on #2 unless you have a problem. That would be when you switch to #1*and the engine doesn't start*with the four D, in which case you can switch to both start the engine and go back to #2.

*Am I correct in saying that what you are suggesting is routing all of the alternator's charging power to the house bank and that the Echo Charger becomes a trickle charger fot the starter battery?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
JD
Guru

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:JD wrote:

*Am I correct in saying that what you are suggesting is routing all of the alternator's charging power to the house bank and that the Echo Charger becomes a trickle charger fot the starter battery?

*That's a bit over simlified but yes.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
charger and alternator suggestions wanted

I'm with Keith on Newmar chargers - my 8 year old unit has been trouble free. This is echoed by my marine electrician getting asked the same question 3 months ago. My Newmar charges 3 engine and genset start 8Ds. The house bank is charged by a Xantrex Prosine inverter

-- Edited by sunchaser on Monday 11th of July 2011 01:56:35 PM

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote