Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #21

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
It is pricey but you can get a smart charger that connects to your Alternator, that puts out 210 amps or as needed to your House bats.....anyone had any experience with that?
Any information on this?

Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I think this may be what he is referring to....

Sterling Power DC Input Alternator to Battery Charger 12 volt, 210 amp dc powered battery charger

Old 06-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #23

Have a Sterling 60 amp 3 bank charger on the boat now. Did not know they make such a device!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Have a Sterling 60 amp 3 bank charger on the boat now. Did not know they make such a device!
Nor did I until I googled it to see what he was talking about
Old 06-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
If you use Balmar MC-614 external smart regulators plus their CenterFielder to combine the output of two of the 91A alts mentioned above as fitting without needing special bracketing, you will be able to drive the alts pretty hard, safely....as the regs/Centerfielder come with alternator (as well as battery) temperature sensing. Shouldn't be hard to get around 160A out of that combo for bulk charging, with all going to your House bank....certainly way better than you are achieving now. And if you end up changing battery technologies down the track, the Balmar regs are fully programmable for different batt types, so somewhat future-proofing you too. ( I also recommend Balmar's DuoCharge to bleed off a controlled charging current from the House bank to maintain the Start bank.)
Aquabelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #26

Here is the link to the 91 amp alternator.

Amazon.com: 110-603 OEM Alternator 8MR2070T 796351 822982 3860665 26920 8MR2070TA: Automotive

Found several others but they were slightly higher in price. Again cheaper than a rebuild locally.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #27
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
High output, smaller frame alternators.
Mega Amp GM High Output Alternator
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Portland Oregon
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
When a lead acid battery goes into acceptance from bulk charge the amps fall off during a constant volt charge say at 14.5 volts.

Are all the high amp rate charge references here for the bulk rate only? My bank of 400AH is not in bulk from alternators or xantrex 2000 very long.

Once I get to 14.5V the charge really drags out either way.

I plan to add more batteries and amp hours. And ditch the electric oven and stove for nice new safe propane setup. Main goal is maximize silence at anchor. Min genset run time.
Sapphire
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:13 AM   #29
Guru

If you use a programmable external regulator like a Balmar, you can set both minimum and maximum bulk charging times from alternators. You may be able to do this with the Xantrex also...not sure how programmable it is, but see its Operator Manual. You can set bulk charging time parameters with Victron & MasterVolt chargers. I've never used Xantrex but have noted many -ve comments about them on this Forum.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:58 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Do you like it. Any info appreciated,I`m considering one to replace my ancient charger. Does it separately assess and tailor the charge to each bank,and if one bank is full does it send the full 60A to the one needing charge?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"Are all the high amp rate charge references here for the bulk rate only?"

Depends , if the regulator has a good temperature sensor the batts can be bulked , just below boiling .

But the last bit 85% SOC and on up take big time with LA (lead acid) batts.

Spend big bucks (400% ?) for lithium and it can be quicker.

Most cruisers use LA and live between 50% SOC and 85% SOC an only see 100% at a dock, with solar , or after a long days motoring.

Rent a slip O nite every 2 weeks , fill with water , do the laundry , go shopping and let the shore charger get the house to 100%.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #32

Lithium (as in Lithium Iron Phosphate) has a much greater advantage in not only being lighter, greater depth of discharge (80 vs. 50%) and a much faster charging rate. No acceptance, just pump as many amps into them as you can. And if you buy from Balqon the price can be similar to AGMs. I installed 4 of these: Balqon Electric Vehicle Manufacturer
in my motorhome and was extremely impressed. When/if I do buy a boat I'll probably go this route again.
They do take some "engineering" but not beyond most DIY'ers if you're willing to do the research. The Balmar regulator is a perfect match for these.
And these batteries are NOT LIPOs and are totally safe, will not burn, etc.
folivier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Do you like it. Any info appreciated,I`m considering one to replace my ancient charger. Does it separately assess and tailor the charge to each bank,and if one bank is full does it send the full 60A to the one needing charge?
Yes, I like it very much. Did a lot of research before I bought it. I replaced an ancient constant volt charger that killed all my batteries at once. And yes it does an assessment of each battery and sends the proper amperage needed to each bank. So, it would send 60 amps to a battery if needed. Lots of adjustable programs and several user programable settings.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:48 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Yes, I like it very much. Did a lot of research before I bought it. I replaced an ancient constant volt charger that killed all my batteries at once. And yes it does an assessment of each battery and sends the proper amperage needed to each bank. So, it would send 60 amps to a battery if needed. Lots of adjustable programs and several user programable settings.

I wasn't aware of this new product either until reading about it via this post. Sterling is a well-regarded UK manufacturer and this product looks to be truly innovative. For anyone who still has internally regulated alternator(s) it looks like the A-B Charger could leap-frog them into a whole new charging capability at low cost. For example, in the case of twin engines, getting the most out of the existing alternators & directing all charge to the House bank initially, would otherwise require: dismounting both alts & removing the internal regs then re-mounting them; buying & installing two ,say, Balmar smart regulators plus a 'CenterFielder' to combine the output of both alts; installing temperature-sensing cabling between regs and batteries and between regs and alts; and installing an echo-charger between the House bank and the Start battery(ies). I've just looked up the cost of these components from Defender....it totals $1565. And few people would self-install all this gear: figure at least a full day for a marine electrician who knows what he is doing in a stand-up engine room with good access all-round....more if anything harder.

In place of all this, the Sterling product does the same thing, according to their on-line materials, for maybe 1/4 the component costs...AND the alts can keep their internal regs, avoiding not only the dismount/remount costs but also the risk that doing this allows the alt manufacturer to walk away from any warranty claims...AND many owners could self-install.

Add the Remote kit and you get an at-helm monitoring ability that Balmar has been promising for years but has never delivered (neither has anyone else to my knowledge).

Seems too good to be true: are we missing something??

Bruce, this looks perfect for you.

Would be good to get reports from others on their experiences with the A-B Charger.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #35
Guru

Here's a link to the A-B charger's product manual for those interested in looking into this further: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...B12210.pdf?477
Old 11-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Interesting. As I'm a bit novice in this arena- the Sterling unit replaces the onboard 120v shorepower charger, or complements it??

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #37
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Peter

I am in the process of planning a Sterling 210 amp Alt to Battery charger installation on my boat. From what I know the best answer is no it doesn't replace and yes it might complement. You could connect the output of the shore battery charger to the input of the Sterling as long as the combined input from the engine alternator and shore power charger is less than the rated input of the Sterling in the event you are connected to shore power and running the main at the same time. Since I have a Xantrex inverter/charger this isn't an option as the input to the inverter is the same cable as the output from the charger so a direct connection to the house bank is required for the inverter to work. My plan is to the leave an Echocharger in place so the start battery can be charged from shore power but also connect the start battery output of the Sterling to the start battery. This would provide two charging inputs to the start battery while on shore power or the generator is running with the main running, but that situation is rare and shouldn't impact the start battery.

I am looking to use the Sterling as a means of more intelligently charging 1000AH of AGM house batteries while underway and staying with essentially a stock alternator (200A Delco 28SI) on a Cummins 6CTA8.3.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote