Old 01-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Carlingswitch A-series breaker

In the course of refitting the A/C systems on board, I've discovered that the breakers on the 220V panel are wired with the line/load reversed, e.g. back feeding. I've added a breaker previously, I'm sort of embarrassed that I missed it before, but in my red-faced defense, the load/line indicators are on the bottom of the breakers and not visible without removing them. They were wired that way OEM, but all the other breakers are wired correctly.

I've scoured the Carlingswitch information on line, and I've not found any indication that they can't be backfed, nor that they can. Anyone know for sure? The next step will be to contact the manufacturer to get a determination of whether I need to correct the wiring. Of course a change will require the wire to be about 2" longer to each one! That'll be fun!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I am interested to hear what the official response is. To my overactive imagination, I can't see where it electrically makes a difference in primary breakers. They trip as a function of thermal overload which shouldn't be effected by current flow direction. Unless you switch them under substantial load, I can't see any detrimental effect to the contacts. The only issue I could envision would be if the breaker had a GFI component built into it, which would be near impossible do to its age.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #3
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Its very unlikely that the performance will be any different. There is a slight safety advantage to have it wired as marked. Otherwise, the mechanism will stay live even when OFF; spring, thermal element, moving contact. The fixed contact is quite small, having little chance of having any issue when tripped. Lets say the breaker became wet, or the case cracked, or worse, a huge transient made a blow hole thru the case. You want as little charged metal as possible in a tripped or OFF state.

If operating with DC, there is some likelihood of one contact having more erosion than the other. But, I don't know for a fact that the contacts are actually made different.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
Guru

City: gulf coast
contact their applications department they are very helpful.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
These are AC breakers right? The current goes both directions, and the voltage reverses, 60 times a second. There is no backwards and forwards.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
From Carlingswitch, the "A" series can be backfed, or as the response I received indicated: reverse wired.

I don't have to rewire my 220V panel. Happy with that outcome!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote