can't remove power cord. suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cpt Bligh, I had the black ring one time crossthreaded and it was very difficult to remove. Finally resorted to a pair of slip pliers and I got it loose. Did not replace it just was more carefull putting it on. Good luck.

Roger, I dont think I cross threaded it. I completely forgot it was there retaining the plug! That's why it wouldn't come off. DOH!

Installed smartplugs a year ago. Excellent product, no more melting cords. Easy enough to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I completely forgot it was there retaining the plug! That's why it wouldn't come off. DOH!

If it makes you feel any better, you are not the first (and probably not the last) to do that. I speak from experience. :)

Talk to your insurer first. Many of them enthusiastically approve of the smart plug and will give a discount for the first year with proof of installation.

They are OEM on a lot of new construction boats.
I already sent them back and am getting a credit. I have a few Hubbel inlets that were spares. Having just sold and cleaned out my Mainship I can't believe the treasure trove of electronics, battery switches, ACR's, DC battery cabling, plugs, antenna mounts, short mast extensions, marine grade connectors and buss bars. Even a couple of spare bilge pumps were recovered.
Bill

I already sent them back and am getting a credit. I have a few Hubbel inlets that were spares. Having just sold and cleaned out my Mainship I can't believe the treasure trove of electronics, battery switches, ACR's, DC battery cabling, plugs, antenna mounts, short mast extensions, marine grade connectors and buss bars. Even a couple of spare bilge pumps were recovered.
Bill

Why am I not surprised. :D

Roger, I dont think I cross threaded it. I completely forgot it was there retaining the plug! That's why it wouldn't come off. DOH!

Oh, that's easily fixed.

Just drop your mooring lines and back the boat out, believe me the cord comes off pretty quick. :nonono:

It's also a pretty good way to check the shore power trip switch is working.

50 amp (only) seems to be becoming more popular at transient slips. Some places loan adapters, some force you to rent them on top of their already outrageous electric fee............

They don't force me, I own my own adapter.

I'm still trying the point of this......

How about this point?

If the cover is already pulled back down the plug and out from under the ring, which in the picture it seems to be. I'm not sure how the ring could stop you from removing the plug once it has nothing to hold on to. The ring locks the plug into the socket and forms a water resistant seal by using the lip of the cover the ring rides on as a gasket. The ring is not attached to the plug itself in any way.

I've unplugged any number of 30a plugs where the ring was left attached to the socket but there is no cover/boot over the plug any more for the ring to screw down on.
So the plug just twists and pulls right out leaving the ring still attached to the socket.

How about this point?

If the cover is already pulled back down the plug and out from under the ring, which in the picture it seems to be. I'm not sure how the ring could stop you from removing the plug once it has nothing to hold on to. The ring locks the plug into the socket and forms a water resistant seal by using the lip of the cover the ring rides on as a gasket. The ring is not attached to the plug itself in any way.

I've unplugged any number of 30a plugs where the ring was left attached to the socket but there is no cover/boot over the plug any more for the ring to screw down on.

So the plug just twists and pulls right out leaving the ring still attached to the socket.

Well I was right....;)

Well I was right....;)

Technically, I haven't been back to the boat to take it off yet. But I do remember screwing it on a few weeks back as it was very hard not to cross thread it on.

Technically, I haven't been back to the boat to take it off yet. But I do remember screwing it on a few weeks back as it was very hard not to cross thread it on.

Oh ok, make sure you inform us when you get it out.

You know of course so I win the pissing contest. :D:lol:

Oh ok, make sure you inform us when you get it out.

You know of course so I win the pissing contest. :D:lol:

If that is meant for me I'm not trying to out piss you.

I just couldn't figure out based on what the picture seems to show, why the ring could be stopping him from unplugging the cord.

And since it now looks like he hasn't tried to remove it yet, we will all have to hold our water a little longer. :)

If that is meant for me I'm not trying to out piss you.

I just couldn't figure out based on what the picture seems to show, why the ring could be stopping him from unplugging the cord.

And since it now looks like he hasn't tried to remove it yet, we will all have to hold our water a little longer. :)

I get what you mean theoretically the ring shouldn't be doing anything but I guess if you cross thread it sideways on there it won't come out. But it can also very well be it welded like you and other have said. :):D

I disassembled the outlet to get to the problem. The plastic retaining ring was completely missing- I am not sure why. i remember it there a few months ago. So that was not the issue. Anyhow I was able to get it apart by pulling all the prongs out backward through the rear of the outlet. Then I wrestled the female part of the cord out from the outlet. No scorch marks or welds. I reassembled it and plugged the chord back in several times and removed it without difficulty.
Bottom line is it works now and I dont have any idea why it was bound up in the receptacle to begin with. I can only guess that the prongs of the chord somehow hung up on one of the prongs inside of the outlet. If it happens again, I'll replace the outlet as I am already planning on replacing the chord as it's sticky and dirty.

I apologize for the non-definitive answer.

I would recommend replacing the inlet too. (Edit:whoops just saw that you were planning on replacing it)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom