Camera suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach_cat

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 Hardin Sedan 42
Checking threads I see many people have installed back up cameras.
Of those who have done this, what worked, what did not work?

Thanks

I tried a cheap-o cam and monitor from Amazon. The monitor automatically put the "parking space" lines on the screen. Couldn't find any way to turn them off, so I never bothered to install it. I have an old truck that doesn't have a built-in cam, I may put it in there.

Moral of the story, know what you're getting for a monitor before buying!

Hi Mach-Cat,

You will see I posted a thread about this very topic within the last 12 months.

A very helpful suggestion from another member was to put a small marine camera under the rear running light, and to run the camera cable back into the hull using the existing channel for the running light wire (and from there up to the flybridge MFD).

This worked a treat - no drilling out new cable channels, no mess - the small camera was about $100 in Oz, the install cost was about 5 times that amount (no surprises there!).

Good luck,

H.

The small camera was about $100 in Oz

Or you could by 8 of these for that price:
41jqQNNwJOL.jpg

Obviously if you're also paying someone to install it, then the price of the camera is a smaller concern. My point is that this can be a very inexpensive DIY project if you choose to go that way.

Consider a reverse image one for that application,more money,but the correct one for that purpose.Otherwise,your images you see will be reversed(left side of screen is starboard,etc.) or you will have to mentally remember to take that into account,doable,but a pia.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom