Old 03-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #21
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
We have a rear facing camera hooked up on the mast and there is a small "window" that can be opened on "Coastal Explorer" to view the image. You can view that image full screen as well but CE runs in the background. It's just "ok" and really not all that useful for docking. I find interpreting distances and speed of travel from that image difficult, so tend to select the radar to 0.125-0.25 nm, when another vessel approaches from the stern. And while I really like the wheelhouse on the KK42, the rear windows are marginal. My main solution is to stick my head out the door and see what's going on.

Love that shirt Mark!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #22
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I mostly rely on the stern-facing windows of the pilothouse (one of my "must haves.")

Also works very well on my boat and cost zero $$. I've been on some boats that there was no way to see what's behind you, when going stern in to a slip it is either from the bridge or another pair of eyes out the back yelling instructions.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
I can see vessels astern while under way but need extra eyes when maneuvering. We have headsets though so no yelling.

Keith
Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Also works very well on my boat and cost zero $$. I've been on some boats that there was no way to see what's behind you, when going stern in to a slip it is either from the bridge or another pair of eyes out the back yelling instructions.

Love the t-shirt. We have 360' view from our pilot house. I'd like an engine room camera though. Which one works best in the dark?
Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 PM   #25
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
in the dark? thermal cameras... Neat, but expensive.

in near dark? black and white cameras...

or leave a light on / IR illuminator powered off the camera, or contained within the camera housing.

A camera with an IR illuminator will take a black / white image in darkness, since we can't see above about 880 nanometer wavelength light. Even though IR illuminators are not that bright, it is NEVER a good idea to look into the IR light source. I've had some IR illuminators that would blind you (within a few days) since your retina gets severe sunburn and you don't know it until well after the fact.

Also, if you select the camera and illuminator separately, make sure the camera has a selectable IR cut filter or it won't see the IR illuminator. For example, iPhones earlier than iPhone5 could see IR, but later ones have a fixed IR cut filter blocking out IR light.

That's why the iphone 3/4 could see the LED in a TV remote, but later ones won't show it blinking.
stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #26
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Ok - so this raises a question that puzzles me. I have seen many examples of IR cameras in engine rooms lit with IR LEDs. What's the point? Why not just use visible light and a regular camera? It seems to me that IR is useful in situations where you don't want light pollution - who cares in your ER?

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Ok - so this raises a question that puzzles me. I have seen many examples of IR cameras in engine rooms lit with IR LEDs. What's the point? Why not just use visible light and a regular camera? It seems to me that IR is useful in situations where you don't want light pollution - who cares in your ER?

Richard
I have LED lighting on all the time in my ER, although my camera is IR capable.

This is a live shot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	49823  
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:42 PM   #28
Guru

IR illumination means not having to leave a light on. And many cameras come with some type of IR leds built into the camera housing with a light sensor so they turn on when ambient light drops below a threshold. IR leds are low power draw, so on a boat with limited power capacity, that's a benefit.

Many industrial functions use IR to not have light pollution problems and anyone onsite will need a light, which is an easy indicator that someone's onsite...
Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I'm not sold on the need for engine-room cameras in my situation. Already have high-temperature and high-water warning lights at the helmsman's station, which is immediately above the engine compartment so can readily monitor sounds and, if any, smells.

Surprised Al FlyWright hasn't responded. He has two black-and-white cameras in the engine room, and visibility on the TV is good to excellent without any lights.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #30
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
IR illumination means not having to leave a light on. And many cameras come with some type of IR leds built into the camera housing with a light sensor so they turn on when ambient light drops below a threshold. IR leds are low power draw, so on a boat with limited power capacity, that's a benefit.

Many industrial functions use IR to not have light pollution problems and anyone onsite will need a light, which is an easy indicator that someone's onsite...
Ok - so is it that most of this type of camera have IR LEDs? So it's easily available?

Visible light LEDs are also low power - and have the advantage that you can see what's illuminated as well as the camera.

Given a choice I'd want visible light LEDs. Am I missing something?

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #31
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
for me, resolution is king.

seeing the problem when small is key.

so whichever lighting does better overall...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Ok - so is it that most of this type of camera have IR LEDs? So it's easily available?

Visible light LEDs are also low power - and have the advantage that you can see what's illuminated as well as the camera.

Given a choice I'd want visible light LEDs. Am I missing something?

Richard
The problem with visible light LED's on a camera would be like leaving a flashlight on in the engine room. It lights what the camera sees, not the rest of the engine room. More than likely, it would simply be in your eyes most of the time.

You probably have more even lighting on your engine room with other types of light.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
for me, resolution is king.

seeing the problem when small is key.

so whichever lighting does better overall...
Resolution is a factor of the sensor, not the lighting. Most analog CIF cameras are fairly low resolution since they are not digital sensors. If you have power and a BNC connector to the camera, it is an analog CIF camera.

On the other hand, most IP cameras are far higher resolution than an analog CIF camera. IP cameras can be wifi or wired with Ethernet, and often Power over Ethernet (POE), so your power supply can power several cameras from one source. On a POE powered IP camera, you can have 5-6 megapixel sensors and that gets you the resolution you want. The current mobotix Q25 has a 6 mp camera. The image I uploaded was a scaled down Q12 (older version) with a 3mp camera. It is small (50mm deep by 160) and either recessed or surface mounted. On the surface mounted version, it can see 180 degrees (within 2 inches of the ceiling) and 360 degrees around. You can designate virtual views, fuel filters, engine gauges, inverter displays, etc., all from the same camera. The on-board computer takes the fish-eye camera image and straightens it out and lets you select different display formats.

It looks like a smoke alarm with a lens in the center.

It is a very nice high rez 360 degree camera.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #34
Guru

Here is an open Q25 mobotix camera.
http://74.93.193.38:9001/cgi-bin/guestimage.html
Old 03-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Resolution is a factor of the sensor, not the lighting. Most analog CIF cameras are fairly low resolution since they are not digital sensors. If you have power and a BNC connector to the camera, it is an analog CIF camera.

On the other hand, most IP cameras are far higher resolution than an analog CIF camera. IP cameras can be wifi or wired with Ethernet, and often Power over Ethernet (POE), so your power supply can power several cameras from one source. On a POE powered IP camera, you can have 5-6 megapixel sensors and that gets you the resolution you want. The current mobotix Q25 has a 6 mp camera. The image I uploaded was a scaled down Q12 (older version) with a 3mp camera. It is small (50mm deep by 160) and either recessed or surface mounted. On the surface mounted version, it can see 180 degrees (within 2 inches of the ceiling) and 360 degrees around. You can designate virtual views, fuel filters, engine gauges, inverter displays, etc., all from the same camera. The on-board computer takes the fish-eye camera image and straightens it out and lets you select different display formats.

It looks like a smoke alarm with a lens in the center.

It is a very nice high rez 360 degree camera.
For $79 each I have 480P resolution, as you know the same as a normal TV signal.

Thats plenty of resolution.

All my cameras on the boat (and at my business) are WIFI enabled. POE is OK, but I have power available in more places than wired ethernet, so I went with WIFI.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Is resolution not degraded with insufficient lighting?

Seems to be with every digital camera I have ever worked with.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
If I thought the need to have a camera in the engine room, I'd focus on the belts. ... I'd rather focus on navigation and on close boats, ships, kayaks, flotsam, and such.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #38
Guru

Low light performance is affected by the size of the sensor. A camera with a 1/2" sensor can give you a good image in very low light but cell phones can't do a decent image without a 'flash'. Their tiny cell cameras have such a small aperture that they don't let much light in, and therefore, require lots of light for a decent image.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #39
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
$80 ebay reversing camera x 2 in engine room.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-IR-18-...cAAOSwbYZXdN39

IR and lights on image here

Moonshine : Big Brother Is Watching
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #40
Guru

City: Trenton
I turn around myself.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote