Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
C-Map vs Navionics

We are in the midst of upgrading from a small Lowrance GPS/plotter etc system to a Furuno NavNet2 system, and liked the features marketed by C-Map so went that route. Today we fired up one of the display units with the C-Map charts, and I was very disappointed in the quality of the charts vs the Navionics we had on the Lowrance.

For example, we like to explore Mitlenatch Island in the Georgia Straits, and with the C-Map chart I would need the paper chart for detail whereas with the Navionics chart there was no need. (To be clear, I always have paper close by however.)*

Am I expecting too much from the C-Map charts? I expect to see the same detail that I see on the paper charts but what I see is a very amateurish stick drawing version.The Navionics does not provide *paper chart detail either but it is much better.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RE: C-Map vs Navionics

I wonder if the Furuno is defaulting to an internal world map instead of displaying the correct C-Maps charts? I managed to miss a couple of setup options on a new Lowrance a couple of years ago and it did this, leading to a "We paid HOW MUCH for this?" moment until one of my co-workers found the solution.

Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Guru

Yes, we had the same experience with the Lowrance and so I was expecting to see something similar with the Furuno. But not that I can see so far; the default Furuno chart is a very simple world map as you say; once the C-Map appears to be activated the simple map simply has more detail added such as beacons and marina fingers but the basic charts do not appear to change much.

Once caveat: the GPS has not yet been activated although the dealer tells me that that will make no difference to the chart detail.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
Guru

I use C Map charts & Garmin charts and can't really say one is better than the other. They are different though. Detail about the same. I use the C-Map NT charts not NT+ charts.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Guru

We discovered subsequently that the C-Map coverage of Mitlenatch Island is not the best but other areas that we cruise (Desolation Sound primarily) have much better detail.*
Old 06-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

The Furuno NavNet2 gives you the option of turning off chart details. I don't remember how or where you modify these settings so check the manual or call Furuno tech support. They are very helpful. I have C-Map and have all the detail I need. I have the single chip that covers the coast of North America.

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Guru

Thanks Ron - I'll look into that once I'm back on the boat; stuck in Calgary now for a bit.

We have the Canada West chip, which may have a different level of detail, although I don't know why it would.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

I would think that Canada west would give you full details in BC waters, but there may be something there? *My Garmin charts cover all of US waters from Washington through SE Alaska, but I had to buy a British Columbia chip upgrade to get detailed maps for the BC waters in between.

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote