Old 12-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
To answer the original question. There is a grain of truth in his statement. However the grain is small. Yes Garmin of late has bought some companies but in truth they pushed the market to innovate. Their purchase of navionics had nothing to do with the marine market. It had everything to do with aviation and they have absolutely revolutionized the aviation market.

In the 90’s B & G was the best thing for racing sail boats. No one else was close, then they all but died. So is B&G back or is just a different interface to the Lorwance equipment. Simrad bought up Robertson and their auto pilots were increadable for power boats but their integration, until recently was way behind the others.

Raytheon came out with LCD radar displays in the early 90’s and for the money no one could touch them. Their early chart plotters were crude but they were ahead of the others. The whole thing was spun off into Raymarine and and the integration was amazing, you could connect a autohelm AP (1980’s)to a E90W (2000’s)to an A68 with depth (2010’s) and they would all talk, but then Raymarine really lost their way.

There are just to many other issues to putting any credence in that old grain of truth. Right now there is an all out war going between Garmin, LowranceSimradB&G and FlirRaymarine. Ask me after the Seattle boat show and i’ll Let youn know who is on top this week.

I’m not ignoring Furuno. There is a reason why it’s the only thing the fishing fleet will buy.
Tiltrider,

Don't see what Navionics has to do with aviation, and Garmins purchase sure seems like a marine thing. Last time I checked most airplanes are only good for one water landing......

But, yes, Garmin has certainly revolutionized the aviation market with great products and service. Every time I've deviated to a competitor for my plane, I've been sorely disappointed ...... Avidyne, Auricle, Aspen, to name a few, don't come close to the quality and service of Garmin.

As for the marine market, my last install was SimRad, and that has worked out "reasonably", but the support is far inferior to Garmin. I still have Garmin on boat no. 2, one old and one newer and support is stellar.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralS View Post
I agree with Woodland. Furuno is the 4th. Outside of that, its basically the market. Northstar is pretty much out, and TimeZero has its own requirements.

We will be doing a complete electronics package on our new Helmsman in the next month or so. I am an IT person by trade, so technology flows in my veins. I also do most of the electronics installs and refits at our boat club for the members so consider myself quite knowledgeable across the different manufacturers and their products dating back to the early 2000's.

Raymarine may be re-inventing themselves with Axiom and LightHouse, but the mental trauma they have caused me from the past C & E Series immediately crosses them off the list from ever being a contender. I have nightmares of SeaTalk, SeaTalkNG, 0183, 2000 swirling around my head at night...

I like Furuno, but it is definitely geared towards Commercial and Serious cruising. Lacks a lot of the bells and whistles included by the other vendors.

B&G is definitely geared towards the sailing market and is mostly the same hardware as the SimRad kit.

Our previous boat was Garmin, with all the bells and whistles and we did love it.

I really really wanted to love SimRad, as we really liked the user interface and the look and feel of the equipment, but it fell short in a number of areas -

1. Cameras are limited to only the display it is connected to
2. The smaller GO panels lack networking so cannot consume Radar/Sonar or cameras from the other MFDS
3. Auto routing is still rather basic with sharp turns when computed
4. Now that Garmin bought Navionics, they are pushing CMAP

We will be proceeding with Garmin kit for our new Helmsman as it solves the shortcomings of SimRad above. BlueCharts g3 is now built with Navionics so we will have the best of Navionics and Active Captain data.
AdmiralS,

FWIW, I fell you'll be happy with your new Garmin, especially after the Navionics integration.

Last year I did a Simrad package and it definitely had a few features that Garmin was sorely lacking. First was the Navionics charts, update much more often and better info. Second was the ability to enlarge the characters on the chart so one can read them. Even with 20/20 not corrected, I have trouble reading the Garmin plotters, especially depth. And Third, Simrad has a plotter that can be touch screen and/or knobs and I love that feature.

Now, Garmin support is WAY superior to Simrad and I miss that. Some of the Simrad support team are so stupid they should be shot and hung out to dry, and I think I've talked to all of them.

I've written to them time and time again, but haven't seen much improvement other than the Navionics purchases. However, they usually do come up with pretty good improvements.

Keep us posted on your install.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #23

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I understand that generalizations usually get you general answers, but from a users standpoint generalizations are worthless, and you need to do your homework to get specific, personalized information. In other words, what is perfect for you is meaningless for just about everyone else.
Go to a boatshow, play with all the toys and see what you like. I can not stress enough that electronics that are easy for you to understand and intuitive to operate will be the correct choice for you, regardless of brand. With a bit of work you can get most brands to play well together so there is little reason to go with a "package" if you don't want to. Mix and match what you need, most of the major names have good and bad traits depending on what you want. It isn't that Lowrance products are made for fisherman, that Furuno is made for commercial vessels, or that B&G is made for sailboats, that is who they are marketed to and good marketing works. All of them work equally well in any application if they provide the information you need.

I have been a certified installer and reseller for pretty much every brand of marine electronics, and have done thousands of installs over the years. I have a lot of favorites, but not a favorite brand.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #24
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I have spent countless hours at WM playing with all the systems you've named. (and more) They all pretty much display the info a cruiser would ever want or need. So what was my reason for choosing a Raymarine suite? Their systems were the most intuitive. IMHO.

Having played with just about everything out there, I found Furuno to be the least intuitive. (MHO)

Also, although Raymarine was not the least expensive, it has a lot of "bang for the buck" and delivered anything I wanted to know.
That's interesting, I've never seen Furuno at West Marine and to my knowledge they haven't carried it in years. When and where was this?

Your MHO tags are appropriate, because I will agree that what is "intuitive" is a pretty personal thing. For instance i have never found the various Apple products we've owned (computers and phones) to be the least bit intuitive, but fans of Apple say they do.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Vermont
For every complex problem there is a simple answer..... and it's wrong...

There are elements of truth in your friends broad brush statements, but an equal amount that is wrong or missing. Furuno, for example, who are the biggest in the industry, yet more focused on commercial, are not even in the list. But they have a consumer line that is as complete and integrated as others, if that's what you want.

I think you just need to spend time with all of them, or work with an installer who you trust. Different people "bond" with how different systems operate. Some people find Garmin's single-source charts preferable, where others find it a non-starters. In some areas Navionics is good and C-map will run you aground. And vice versa in other areas. Different system use different charts, so it can be a big factor in system selection.

And while we are throwing around generalizations, here's one to consider.

If you want Consumer Electronics on your boat, buy Garmin, Simrad/B&G/Lowrence, or Raymarine. By "Consumer Electronics" I mean products that have the latest gadgets and features, work with your phone, socialize, etc. They also need to be updated frequently, things don't always work, and advice like "turn it off an back on again" will solve many problems. Plus product life cycle will be about 3 years start to finish. In a year there will be a newer, better version of what you have, and withing 3 years your product will be obsolete and no longer repairable.

If you want Navigation Equipment on your boat, buy Furuno. By "Navigation Equipment" I mean products that have all the required navigation features, are rock solid in operation, but are slow to have newer features. The product life cycle will be 5-10 years, and you will still have a good shot at repairs on 15-20 year old equipment. It will all "just work" day in an day out.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #26
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
For every complex problem there is a simple answer..... and it's wrong...

There are elements of truth in your friends broad brush statements, but an equal amount that is wrong or missing. Furuno, for example, who are the biggest in the industry, yet more focused on commercial, are not even in the list. But they have a consumer line that is as complete and integrated as others, if that's what you want.

I think you just need to spend time with all of them, or work with an installer who you trust. Different people "bond" with how different systems operate. Some people find Garmin's single-source charts preferable, where others find it a non-starters. In some areas Navionics is good and C-map will run you aground. And vice versa in other areas. Different system use different charts, so it can be a big factor in system selection.

And while we are throwing around generalizations, here's one to consider.

If you want Consumer Electronics on your boat, buy Garmin, Simrad/B&G/Lowrence, or Raymarine. By "Consumer Electronics" I mean products that have the latest gadgets and features, work with your phone, socialize, etc. They also need to be updated frequently, things don't always work, and advice like "turn it off an back on again" will solve many problems. Plus product life cycle will be about 3 years start to finish. In a year there will be a newer, better version of what you have, and withing 3 years your product will be obsolete and no longer repairable.

If you want Navigation Equipment on your boat, buy Furuno. By "Navigation Equipment" I mean products that have all the required navigation features, are rock solid in operation, but are slow to have newer features. The product life cycle will be 5-10 years, and you will still have a good shot at repairs on 15-20 year old equipment. It will all "just work" day in an day out.
This is how I feel about the 2013 Furuno Navnet suite the PO installed on my boat. It worked well enough to be state of the art 5 years ago, it still works now, the charts were just upgraded and I just bought a factory rebuilt 18” display for $500 to replace the small one on the flybridge. I can see at least 10 more years of reliable service, so why not keep it? I will admit that I chose not to repair the Furuno AIS when it recently failed and instead chose to get a Vesper system due to the ability to have the anchor watch on the phone on my nightstand and not in the pilothouse.

It definitely is not intuitive to me and there is a learning curve, but it is well worth making the effort.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #27
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Tiltrider,

Don't see what Navionics has to do with aviation, and Garmins purchase sure seems like a marine thing. Last time I checked most airplanes are only good for one water landing......

But, yes, Garmin has certainly revolutionized the aviation market with great products and service. Every time I've deviated to a competitor for my plane, I've been sorely disappointed ...... Avidyne, Auricle, Aspen, to name a few, don't come close to the quality and service of Garmin.

As for the marine market, my last install was SimRad, and that has worked out "reasonably", but the support is far inferior to Garmin. I still have Garmin on boat no. 2, one old and one newer and support is stellar.
I am guessing you perceive navionics as charts. Navionics is actually a layering software that loads images and manages the relationship of those images. It’s the software that is of value not the data files.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 PM   #28
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We bought our 2003 boat in 2007. It was built with a fully integrated Furuno package (except auto pilot, that is Simrad) It works extremely well and I'm very happy with it. Their service is also great. Their service rep in Philadelphia helped me with some parts a few years ago that I was afraid were obsolete. He took my small display that had issues and $75.00 later it works like new. That said, the plotters made in 03 require chips for different areas and those chips are no longer made so if i go to an area that i don't have a chip for its like falling off the end of the earth. Last year I purchased a stand alone Garmin plotter that I can easily move from the upper and lower stations as the antenna is built in and just need to be plugged in to a lighter socket.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Our experience:

Transas. Primarily used by commercial ships. Has functions and features that are incredible and very worthwhile when traveling far offshore. Overkill for anything like coastal cruising. They do build incredible simulators too.

Furuno. Full featured, great support, does anything we want and need. Does lag slightly in new features but when they are released they always work right. Their radar is the best in my experience. Even with Transas, we've used Furuno radar.

Simrad. We very carefully considered it. Have used their autopilot a lot. When we had the choice between it, Raymarine and Garmin, it just didn't match up feature for feature with Garmin.

Garmin. We chose Garmin on the one boat and we were very happy with it. I do think Furuno radar is still better. Service is very good. Garmin is very good if you're looking for everything from one vendor as they sure have it all. One thing too we found out as we had Furuno as backup. Garmin's charts for lakes and rivers are far superior to anyone else's. We had it for the Loop and glad we did.

Timezero. Talked into it. Thought we'd never use it as it wasn't our primary system. Really nice for coastal cruising. Only navigation but for $500 you get two workstations, complete US charts in both raster and vector, and 3D and satellite photos.

Raymarine. We hear things about a renewed effort to provide better service but until it's proved we just won't bite. We love FLIR so certainly that gets our attention. They've made a lot of progress in broadening their offering and trying to extend their appeal. We used Raymarine in school and while it didn't compare to our Furuno we were using at the time, it was older. That is a key factor to in evaluation as the major companies will go back and forth in who has the newest features. I know they've used FLIR's R&D to help them upgrade in many areas but I'm just not fully comfortable yet, so remain not a fan of Raymarine.

I have no experience with any other manufacturers.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"Go to a boatshow, play with all the toys and see what you like. I can not stress enough that electronics that are easy for you to understand and intuitive to operate will be the correct choice for you, regardless of brand."

The question to me is weather the operation of the device is what is desired ,
or weather the fun of showing off what it should do dockside is the desire.

Folks that want function are willing to read the book , so intuitive means little to someone that actually uses the equipment.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #31
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Y'all are missing some of the original premise here. Are the generalizations even remotely accurate? Do Simrads lean toward motoryachts? Do fisherman prefer Lowrance? That kinda thing?

Yes. In the Navico universe, Lowrance is geared towards fishing, B & G towards sailing and Simrad larger boats.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Y'all are missing some of the original premise here. Are the generalizations even remotely accurate? Do Simrads lean toward motoryachts? Do fisherman prefer Lowrance? That kinda thing?
No, the only things seem to that leap out on this thread are:
  • Anything can work for general simple duty
  • Furuno is a reliable navigation workhorse favored by longer distance folks,
  • Garmin and Raymarine are intuitive and fit into short term plug and play desires
  • The others are bit players
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:33 AM   #33
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Our experience:

Transas. Primarily used by commercial ships. Has functions and features that are incredible and very worthwhile when traveling far offshore. Overkill for anything like coastal cruising. They do build incredible simulators too.

Furuno. Full featured, great support, does anything we want and need. Does lag slightly in new features but when they are released they always work right. Their radar is the best in my experience. Even with Transas, we've used Furuno radar.

Simrad. We very carefully considered it. Have used their autopilot a lot. When we had the choice between it, Raymarine and Garmin, it just didn't match up feature for feature with Garmin.

Garmin. We chose Garmin on the one boat and we were very happy with it. I do think Furuno radar is still better. Service is very good. Garmin is very good if you're looking for everything from one vendor as they sure have it all. One thing too we found out as we had Furuno as backup. Garmin's charts for lakes and rivers are far superior to anyone else's. We had it for the Loop and glad we did.

Timezero. Talked into it. Thought we'd never use it as it wasn't our primary system. Really nice for coastal cruising. Only navigation but for $500 you get two workstations, complete US charts in both raster and vector, and 3D and satellite photos.

Raymarine. We hear things about a renewed effort to provide better service but until it's proved we just won't bite. We love FLIR so certainly that gets our attention. They've made a lot of progress in broadening their offering and trying to extend their appeal. We used Raymarine in school and while it didn't compare to our Furuno we were using at the time, it was older. That is a key factor to in evaluation as the major companies will go back and forth in who has the newest features. I know they've used FLIR's R&D to help them upgrade in many areas but I'm just not fully comfortable yet, so remain not a fan of Raymarine.

I have no experience with any other manufacturers.
Transas and TimeZero are navigation software, not hardware manufacturers.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #34
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...Something goes wrong and thousands will be screaming rather than a few who are easily ignored. I'm staying mainstream.
Right. But with Garmin, they simply ignore thousands, instead of a few.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Transas and TimeZero are navigation software, not hardware manufacturers.
You are correct. Transas is a bit of it's own creature with mostly software, although not limited to navigation, and some hardware but not the traditional packages. TimeZero is strictly navigational software but an alternative to the hardware and software packages and a low cost but solid approach. Since backup systems often comes up in conversation, we do see TimeZero as a good back up to the chart plotter and navigation functions of the complete systems.

I included them as systems we've used, not as hardware.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Yes. In the Navico universe, Lowrance is geared towards fishing, B & G towards sailing and Simrad larger boats.

Ken

Is that the universe with Ironman or Aquaman?
Old 12-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
I am guessing you perceive navionics as charts. Navionics is actually a layering software that loads images and manages the relationship of those images. It’s the software that is of value not the data files.
Tilt,

Don't see the point.... Navionics, Garmin charts, CMaps..... all provide similar info and play on a chart plotter. While there's differences, the basics of charts are pretty much the same. The only one I really don't care for is CMaps... just don't like Jeppesen.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #38
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Go to a boatshow, play with all the toys and see what you like. I can not stress enough that electronics that are easy for you to understand and intuitive to operate will be the correct choice for you, regardless of brand."

The question to me is weather the operation of the device is what is desired ,
or weather the fun of showing off what it should do dockside is the desire.

Folks that want function are willing to read the book , so intuitive means little to someone that actually uses the equipment.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Something about an angry sea reduced to an LED screen that I can't reconcile.

The clock made longitude determinable. Where are we now?

Get my coffee cup and let's go.

Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #40
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Tilt,

Don't see the point.... Navionics, Garmin charts, CMaps..... all provide similar info and play on a chart plotter. While there's differences, the basics of charts are pretty much the same. The only one I really don't care for is CMaps... just don't like Jeppesen.
You are stuck on what you see. Garmin is not interested in the part you see. Garmin is interested in the software that is referred to as layering technology. I am not sure were they are at in the certification process.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote