Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Bow-thruster - second joystick

I have a Lewmar 185TT bow-thruster with a joystick controller on the flybridge. I want a second joystick at the lower helm, and I'm a long way from the nearest Lewmar supplier. I have a heavy four-wire momentary switch which looks promissing, as there are four wires connecting the Lewmar joystick to the thruster unit. The question is: what wires go where?

Lewmar's email says: "We would not recommend using the momentary switch. There is more to the joystick than just port and starboard and those protections that are built into it wouldnt be in the momentary switch". They don't say that a momentary switch will not work, just that they don't recommend it. Unfortunately the circuit diagram is not informative and their joystick does not respond to a continuity tester.

*A Lewmar joystick is around $200 plus the same again in air-freight, customs duties etc. I will go this route if I have to, but I'm reluctant to shell out multiple boat units without good reason. After all, we are talking about a 12v DC motor with a reversing solenoid. Anyone with knowledge of the workings of these things, please chime in.

BTW: I would like to say many thanks to Mike of this forum for patiently explaining all aspects of the fiberglass work involved in a bow-thruster install.

-- Edited by Shoalwaters on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 06:05:55 AM

Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Bow-thruster - second joystick

I too have a Lewmar thruster (24V). Both stations have the Lewmar joystick. I can only assume the circuitry*for on off and non-use shut down after about 10 minutes are in the joystick circuit itself.*After the (great) expense of adding the thruster a branded (cheap) joystick seems a good investment.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
City: North Charleston, SC
RE: Bow-thruster - second joystick

My guess is that the joystick is designed to prevent the possibility of pressing both directions at the same time. I too would recommend the OEM control (Lewmar). It's a boat and boats aren't cheap.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote