Bogart Tri-metric (Thanks Fred)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

botemon

Veteran Member
*** I finally got one of these and installed it. The whole kit cost *$198 from Backwoods Solar. That included the Tri-metric, a 500amp shunt, battery cable (black) and the multi conductor cable from shunt to Trimetric with fuse. Everything you need to make it work. I have been monitoring things for 24 hours now. I love it. Displays DC amps, volts, % from full capacity, Amp Hours used from total. Looks like a digital fuel gage! What goes out and what goes in. I really like knowing what the DC system is doing. Great recommendation! Thanks Fred!
Ken
biggrin.gif

An E meter , or Link, or the Bogart Is usually the most important FIRST tool to put aboard a cruising boat.

Living with the limitations of a box of batts is the hardest part of living a quiet simpler cruising lifestyle.

The unit will pay for it in the first batt set you don't destroy , and in reduced doctor bills from humping 800 lbs of batteries to the recycler.

Enjoy!!

FF

On many of the old analog *DC Volt Meters there is a small scale that has the % or and/or are colored coded that tell you how fully charged a battery is.* *I am not on the boat right now so dont quote me, but 13.2 is fully charged, 12.6 is 50% charged, 12.2 is like 25% and 11.8 is dead.* I think those fancy meters take the same voltage readings and convert them for you.*

Being a live aboard I refer to the DC and AC volt and amps gauges a couple of time a week. How do you think FF and*the*older boaters did it way back when?*
confused.gif

Anyway, glad to hear that the trimetric works for you. However,*a boat should still have the basic DC and AC volts and*amperage gauges.*

"On many of the old analog DC Volt Meters there is a small scale that has the % or and/or are colored coded that tell you how fully charged a battery is. "

Thats why the older boats had 2 house sets. , And a start set.

In order to have any measuring value the bat set must "rest" for about 24 hours with no load , no charging.

Then the voltage is a mere approximation of the SOC ,no where near accurate , 'cept to tell you when their mostly dead.

Danforth had a pretty large face expanded scale unit , that has as little value as any volt meter.

A voltage log done with a cheap digital will do far better than any of the historic photo shot V meter methods.

In the "old days" a batt set lasted 3 years of active cruising, today 7 to 11years or more in common with modern monitoring and charging methods,with Trojan or other medium priced batts.

Sams club batts are great for starting to live at anchor , moving up to the Trojans or Surettes , AFTER getting 3 years from the Sams set.

Only a monitoring system can observe the normal decay/decline of the set and allow you to decide when to change them out .

The historic methods work fine today on a Marina >Marina motorist or a dockside cottage , but are pretty useless to figure if the set will be damaged by , "just one more night" before recharging.

And the quick deposit of surface voltage makes them completely useless at deciding when the set is actually recharged fully. NOT fully recharging shortens the sets life and reduces the sets capacity in a short time .

FF

Here's the voltage chart for a regular wet (flooded) cell battery. Keep in mind that gel cells are slightly higher, 13.0+ for full charge.

Attachments

• voltage%20scan.jpg
    voltage%20scan.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 134
Perhaps Arild will jump in here. Nigel Calder only says that the values are higher for Gel Cells. He doesn't mention AGM's at all.

Back
Top Bottom