Old 03-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #41

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
If you'll forgive a philosophical digression for this thread, on many occasions I have asked myself why I abandon the safety and relative comfort of life ashore to go knocking about in boats. Usually this happens around sunset with a cold adult beverage at hand. What I've come up with, in a word, is freedom. And I've found that the more stuff I bring aboard, the less freedom I have; the more dependent I am on money to buy more stuff, and to pay guys who can fix stuff I can't. But that's just me. I can afford such an outlandish attitude because I am married to a Six Million Dollar woman who had a proper upbringing. Before we got this floating palace, we spent many years cruising aboard a Spartan little 32' timber sloop with a bucket for a head and a small ice chest to keep the beer chilled. Life is bloody good nowadays! Good luck in solving your power issues brother!

Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
And think of all the money you spend running the generator to keep junk cool, a lot of which doesn't have to be refrigerated at all (eggs, butter, cheese, vegies, etc.)...
It may depend on your ambient temp, but leaving those examples outside the fridge would seriously(with variations) shorten shelf life here in OZ. Even eggs.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #43

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Hi Bruce. A million years ago, back in 1966 I think it was, I was an exchange student in Canada. Upon arrival at my host family's home, I noticed something most Americans had forgotten generations earlier. Butter was left sitting on the table covered by a simple cloth. Eggs were kept on the kitchen counter in a wire basket. Fresh baked bread and potatoes and onions and tomatoes and rounds of cheese were likewise kept outside of the fridge for quite some time, as were urns of dill pickles, olives and kraut with no apparent ill effects. It reminded me of my grandma Bader on the family ranch in west Texas. As a kid I used to cowboy on the OI ranch during summer break back in the 50's and early 60's. We ate stuff like the items mentioned above without getting sick, and they were never refrigerated. Even meat from freshly killed goat, beeves, rabbit, deer and other wild game would first be salted, then smoked, then kept unrefrigerated hanging in the kitchen until grandma would stew them up for supper. Delicious! Nobody ever died as I can remember. And nobody wondered how many batteries, or chargers would be required to survive, or how many admirals would bail out on account of unspeakable hardships. How far we've come??? Forgive the philosophical musings please. I long for the simpler times when independence was a value much to be cherished. With apologies...must be a sign of advancing age?
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great stuff, Capt K! I used to be a lot tougher in my youth, but I'll be the first to admit that I've grown soft.

When we bought our boat, it was strictly 12V and propane. It met the basic needs, but the microwave was only usable with shore power and making coffee without shore power became a camping-like event. We don't like feeling like we're camping on the boat. Moving up from this level was a bit like the book, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.

So, I thought, why not add a larger battery bank and a small inverter to allow limited MW and coffee maker use on the hook?

With a larger house bank, now I need a SOC meter to keep track of all those AH's. ....oh and also a larger alternator for charging.

Since we have a larger 660AH house bank and inverter, we might as well take advantage of this capability with a small 110V refrigerator that's no longer needed by the college daughters.

Now the house bank is getting drawn down after a couple of days. We could run the mains, but then, who wants to run the main engine(s) long hours for charging at anchor? Better get one of those Honda generators to allow charging at anchor. Besides, we could also use it to power the microwave and coffee maker to relieve the load on the house bank.

BTW, isn't that 30A charger looking a bit undersized for the job of charging the 660AH house bank? Maybe it's time to upgrade the house charger to something like 75-100A.

It's a never-ending saga of upgrades and mods. Not that it is not without its own pleasures, but it's been a long road of incremental improvements. Any regrets? Heck no, but I think my next boat will have all the comforts built-in before purchase.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 PM   #45
Guru

Capt K,
More likely signs of a good memory than advancing years. Or do I just think that because I`ve about as many years on the clock.
Pickles and smoked foods are good unrefrigerated, but as a kid I remember butter melting in a dish in the cupboard.
Refrigeration on boats is a pain, but well worth it for a cold beer.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #46
Guru

I also recommend the iota chargers with the smart regulator. The largest one is a 90amp I believe so 2 together would be 180amp if you feel you need that much .

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote