Boat monitoring... why would anyone "want" a reverse image camera ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Last night finally got one of my two video cameras to display on my Raymarine E120 GPS multifunction display and was surprised the image of the engine room was like a mirror image. So I Google the model (see link below) and find out that is how it is supposed to be.

No big deal for the engine room but seems like it might get confusing for the outside aft image (haven't got that one working yet) Thoughts ?

Speco CVC-627MR Reverse Image Camera - Marine Electronics Unlimited

======================================

(on edit)

Ok, nevermind...after finishing my coffee it occured to me if looking forward at the monitor, reverse image would actually be less confusing for back up purposes ! D'oh !

Last edited:
While on the subject, anyone know of a new infrared version of this camera could use the same 3 wire cable that is already in place...or would it need new cable ?

Do you get confused when you look in your car rear view mirror?
Nope, can back a trailer with the best of them without turning my head.

So that's why they make it like a mirror because that's what we are all used to.
That is precisely what I realized in my initial post after further pondering.

You should be able to purchase an infrared camera without reverse image with the same connectors. I have a pair in my ER and the image is surprisingly clear even when the ER is pitch black as in this pic.

img_358422_0_6e80ed4fde959b975c63fcf97720dcab.jpg

How about showing us the connectors you have? Mine have a BNC connector for video and a standard 12V mini jack.

img_358422_1_79615e3d26628b48bd43764763ada625.jpg

BNC-RCA adapter

img_358422_2_d9122dc0fb594aa095b7d52f9c92e95a.jpg

I've bought cameras and monitors from: Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com
and cut and spliced cables for my motorhome. There are cheaper ones available on ebay and amazon. Most of these backup cameras have infrared leds to give you night time vision and should work in an engine room just don't put the camera behind clear plastic (blocks the infrared leds and just gives you glare). Some of the cameras and monitors also have a switch to change from mirror image to regular.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom