Old 11-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
BlueChart Mobile Discontinued

I see that Garmin BlueChart Mobile has been discontinued. What are other iPad users using?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/114005#overview
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
I have used quite a few iPad apps over the years. (iNavX, Nobeltec, Garmin BlueCharts, and Sea IQ. ) I have come to rely on Navionics and now have the iPad mounted at the helm in conjunction with a chart plotter and a PC running coastal explorer. Tides and currents are device resident. Auto routing is a valuable tool. The crowd sourced Sonar Charts are now very accurate. Of all the navigation systems on Chartplotters, PCs and iPads, the navionics updating is the easiest and the fastest I have found. Just after Garmin acquired Active Captain they also acquired Navionics. The day after they acquired Navionics, they shut down Garmin BlueCharts. Coincidence?
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Still working on my iPhone
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Still working on my iPhone
Archie: It still works on my IPad. The reason I asked was I wanted to update the charts. I also like the Active Captain overlay and I’m not sure that option is available with Navionics charts.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Guru

Garmin BlueCharts still works on any device it was on previously. And on that device you can continue to update the AC content. But the charts cannot be updated. IMHO that is not a big deal. The Garmin charts were lacking in detail and always out of date. But as a vehicle to see AC content it is excellent. Right now you cannot get the AC content on Navionics, but I will bet you that that will change very soon. It only make sense that Garmin would make that connection since they now own both. We have the AC content on our Coastal Explorer PC navigation and also on Sea IQ iPad app. Sea IQ uses NOAA charts and is much more up todate and is much more accurate than Garmin proprietary charts ever were. That being said, the way the Garmin BC displays the AC content is excellent.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Leave it to Garmin to buy up and screw up the marine electronics we all use. [emoji35]
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Go on their support page and post an objection. Perhaps if enough customers do that, they might reconsider. Not likely, but worth a try.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #8

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
So, Sea IQ allows the Active Captain overlay?
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #9
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
They discontinued Garmin Helm too, which bums me out because we use an IPad at the lower station as a full function instrument connected via WiFi to the main Garmin on the bridge.
Oh well, I thought it was too good to be true & last. I can't blame them. Why wouldn't they discontinue it? It forces people like me to buy another Garmin display rather than use my IPad.
Maybe when Garmin acquires Apple they'll reintroduce the app...
Old 11-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I can't blame them. Why wouldn't they discontinue it? It forces people like me to buy another Garmin display rather than use my IPad.
It forces me to do the opposite. Technology marches on and everybody expects new devices to supplant older models. But lack of long-term support and backward compatibility are deal-breakers for me. When Garmin announced they no longer supported an MFD that I’d bought about a year earlier, I couldn’t get it out of my boat fast enough. Most of my gear is now Furuno but, for me, any company with gear that works and a commitment to customer support would be preferable to companies like Garmin.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #11
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
This is really bad news. Can't wait to see what Panbo says about it.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Yes it does.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Marketing 101, planned obsolescence. Garmin does it well. It will not change. Since their bottom line on the marine side is selling new hardware, backward compatibility whether with older gear, AC, Apple or Navionics add ons is of secondary importance to them.

Which is why I prefer well supported Furuno systems for work and Navionics and associated stuff on the IPad for play. The happiest and most satisfied serious cruising Garmin users I know are those who eschew the add ons and stick with the basics on their primary hardware. Then if the IPad apps start acting up they still can safely navigate and use radar.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #14

City: Alexander
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
They discontinued Garmin Helm too, which bums me out because we use an IPad at the lower station as a full function instrument connected via WiFi to the main Garmin on the bridge.

Oh well, I thought it was too good to be true & last. I can't blame them. Why wouldn't they discontinue it? It forces people like me to buy another Garmin display rather than use my IPad.

Maybe when Garmin acquires Apple they'll reintroduce the app...

HA, there is enough loose change under Tim Cooks desk to buy Garmin.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It clearly was a planned move with the acquisition of Navionics with them basically admitting that Navionics had superior charts for mobile use.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #16
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
It forces me to do the opposite. Technology marches on and everybody expects new devices to supplant older models. But lack of long-term support and backward compatibility are deal-breakers for me. When Garmin announced they no longer supported an MFD that I’d bought about a year earlier, I couldn’t get it out of my boat fast enough. Most of my gear is now Furuno but, for me, any company with gear that works and a commitment to customer support would be preferable to companies like Garmin.
I agree 100%. I’ve long been a huge Garmin fan, but this is enough to push me to other manufacturers.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #17
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I always have an iPad running on the helm with active captain Overlaid on Garman blue chart mobile. I also have two new Garman 8212s on the helm. I see little difference between Garman mobile and the Garman charts on my chart plotters.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #18
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I also use Blue Chart pretty extensively on my iPad in conjunction with my Garmin 1040 MFD. Crappy news!

On another Garmin note, my Garmin 1040 at the helm is a 2015 vintage and it has never been updated. Can that be done via WiFi or do I need to buy a chip of some sort?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:56 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I also use Blue Chart pretty extensively on my iPad in conjunction with my Garmin 1040 MFD. Crappy news!

On another Garmin note, my Garmin 1040 at the helm is a 2015 vintage and it has never been updated. Can that be done via WiFi or do I need to buy a chip of some sort?
Which poses the eternal question, what new updated information is provided and truly useful. Dredging channel changes and buoy placement may be nice to have, but if you're tied into AC those may be in there already. Most updating is good, some not. If you've done any linking of your 1040 to non Garmin hardware, those drivers or interfaces may be impacted.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I always have an iPad running on they home with active captain Overlaid on Garman blue chart mobile. I also have two new Garman 8212s on the helm. I see little difference between Garman mobile and the Garman charts on my chart plotters.
If you compare Garmin charts to NOAA or to Navionics the differences will be apparent.

Just past Southport NC, the ICW crosses Lockwoods Folly inlet. The Garmin BlueCharts buoys are still as located in the fall of 2016. The ICW was dredged in the spring of 2017. NOAA and Navionics updated their charts. Garmin did not. The 2017 hurricanes filled the dredged channel back in. the USCG moved the buoys again. NOAA and Navionics have those changes. Garmin BC still has the fall 2016 buoys.

I have attached a picture comparing NOAA, Garmin BlueCharts and Navionics for a section of the ICW just south of Fernandina Beach, FL.