BlueChart Mobile Discontinued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a big fan of crowd-sourced data. I use the Navionics SonarChart data whenever I have doubts about the depth or currency of the last 'formal' survey. SonarChart data gets updated daily I believe. Lots more detail than other sources I have seen.

I expect this is a large part of the value Garmin saw in Navionics.

Agree 100%! Consider, also, the acquisition of Active Captain, and I predict we'll soon be paying much more for Navionics, but it will come with AC interface.

Chris: I agree that the Explorer Charts are very good but they were not included with our CMap charts. Our CMap charts were last updated in 2011 for many dollars. At the time, we were out of the country with an extended cruising area.

Ah. That 'splains, thanks.

-Chris

Which poses the eternal question, what new updated information is provided and truly useful. Dredging channel changes and buoy placement may be nice to have, but if you're tied into AC those may be in there already. Most updating is good, some not. If you've done any linking of your 1040 to non Garmin hardware, those drivers or interfaces may be impacted.
What updating is not good?

What updating is not good?

Updating Laptop software that alters functionality of area zooming or alters previous courses or makes them otherwise inoperable when interfaced with Radar or AP. The issue to be careful of is that updates via the Internet open a laptop up to non charting updates that aren't always welcome.

Last edited:
So since I use Blue Chart on my iPad currently, what should I switch to continue to use the iPad in the future?

SeaIQ navigation app uses NOAA charts and has the ActiveCaptain data. So long as you have Garmin BlueCharts on you device, it will continue to receive and display AC updates. You will not be able to update the charts there, but as a planning and research tool, it will still function.

Agree 100%! Consider, also, the acquisition of Active Captain, and I predict we'll soon be paying much more for Navionics, but it will come with AC interface.
Hope not, Navionics chart pricing is already crazy high.

Hope not, Navionics chart pricing is already crazy high.

I'm curious what you paid for Navionics. When you buy the Navionics package, you get USA, Canada, and the Bahamas. You get the NOAA charts and the Sonar Charts. The updates are available all the time. Seems to me to be a very cost effective package.

I'm curious what you paid for Navionics. When you buy the Navionics package, you get USA, Canada, and the Bahamas. You get the NOAA charts and the Sonar Charts. The updates are available all the time. Seems to me to be a very cost effective package.

Bought mine May 2015. I think it was pre Sonar Charts. $400 for USA, Canada and Bahamas. The Navionics app on the iPad is the great deal.

The charts are $199 now and can get discounted to $179. Includes USA coastal and rivers. Canada coastal and rivers and Bahamas too! Imagine what all those paper charts would cost!

The charts are $199 now and can get discounted to $179. Includes USA coastal and rivers. Canada coastal and rivers and Bahamas too! Imagine what all those paper charts would cost!
Just signed into my Navionics account. My subscription has expired, but they will renew Navionics plus for $99. For all the places you mentioned. I will probably do it. I really like the Sonar Charts

Just signed into my Navionics account. My subscription has expired, but they will renew Navionics plus for $99. For all the places you mentioned. I will probably do it. I really like the Sonar Charts

What are you displaying your Navionics on, Dave, a chartplotter? I don't think I've ever paid more than $15.99 for any Navionics product on my tablet. $9.99 on the phone. I cannot get Navionics on my main nav laptop. As my Grandpa used to say, "I would if I could but I can't so I won't."

What are you displaying your Navionics on, Dave, a chartplotter? I don't think I've ever paid more than $15.99 for any Navionics product on my tablet. $9.99 on the phone. I cannot get Navionics on my main nav laptop. As my Grandpa used to say, "I would if I could but I can't so I won't."
I have the Navionics + on Raymarine 125e and 127e. Also have the Navionics app on an IPad.

Chris: I agree that the Explorer Charts are very good but they were not included with our CMap charts. Our CMap charts were last updated in 2011 for many dollars. At the time, we were out of the country with an extended cruising area.

The chart/plotter guys sure have us if we want to stay current.

Whew, thats good to hear. I am getting close to buying cmap because its autorouting includes beam and vessel depth (besides just length). It would suck to find out it actually had no idea what depths or channel widths actually are for the keys and the bahamas.

Whew, thats good to hear. I am getting close to buying cmap because its autorouting includes beam and vessel depth (besides just length). It would suck to find out it actually had no idea what depths or channel widths actually are for the keys and the bahamas.

Please don’t base you’re buying desicion on my experience, as I said, our charts hadn’t been updated since 2011. They were very good for anywhere in the US. The Bahamas we where we had issues.

It looks to me that Aqua Map may be a good replacement for Garmin Bluechart.

Back
Top Bottom