blue sea part ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
what is this?
recently noticed this unit as part of my battery system but have no idea of its purpose?

Attachments

• dscf0352.jpg
    dscf0352.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 62
That is a BlueSea ACR, Automatic charge relay. They are an excellent addition and used to charge one battery bank from another battery bank once the primary bank is fully charged. If you have the remote switch you can turn the unit off, leave it in auto charge mode or force the unit to combine both battery banks. I wouldn't recommend trying to start engines with it in parallel mode if the starting bank is almost dead (if you have the remote switch set to "ON".
Bill

-- Edited by Billylll on Sunday 27th of March 2011 06:27:25 AM

"I wouldn't recommend trying to start engines with it in parallel mode if the starting bank is almost dead"

No problem,

If the almost dead house bank were connected AT start , there would be no bad results.

Many large starters will drag the start voltage down to 10V while cranking and "dead " house batts are seldom below 11.5V , if there not being discarded.

Dead house connected to starts long term,much ungood!

Billy,
the amps you are referring to is not starting amps, it is charging amps.
starting amps does not go thru this switch.
basically what this switch does is combine two banks when charging current is available. When there is a discharge, the switch disconnects.
So if you have two banks, this switch will combine the banks for charging only.

"So if you have two banks, this switch will combine the banks for charging only."

Its the yachtty version of an $18. dollar RV solenoid and std car key switch.

Yachtty priced too,,,and far more complex to trouble shoot for extra yachting fun!

Back
Top Bottom