Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
We just picked up a Bushnell 7x50 permafocus for under $100, and I am actually amazed at how well they work on the boat. No idea how the permafocus works, but it does. Certainly the best binoculars we've ever had on the boat. (But then we've never had stabilized binos on board.)
I have the same model and love them. So much, that I'm getting a 2nd pair.

BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Time to get some dedicated boat binoculars. *Any recommendations? How useful (and how often useful) is an integrated compass?

JC

A good friend gave us a Fujinon Poseidon 7 x 50 binocular as a Christmas present not long after we got the GB. The model he gave us is rubber coated, mil-spec (for whatever that's worth), with an internal compass. They are outstanding in my opinion. Excellent low light imaging, sharp, etc. I cannot recall any time when we actually used the compass for something but I'm glad it's there "just in case." And we could probably make use of it if we thought about it for taking a bearings on points on shore when we anchor.

I'm not sure if Fujinon uses the Poseidon name anymore but from their on-line catalog it might be that the current equivalent of the model we have is the 7 x 50 FMTRC-SX. But based on ours I would not hesitate to buy a new Fujinon if we were in the market today for a non-stabilized binocular.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
We've used Tasco Offshore binocs for years. Inexpensive but actually quite good. Hardly* ever use the compass feature though.
That link didn't work for me, but here's a link to the Tasco's i got for $20 in a nautical flea market. The light for the compass feature doesn't work, but the optics are great compared to the Bushnells I was using.
Tasco Offshore OS36 - Binoculars 7 x 50
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I have the same kind the batteries don't last long.

SD
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I had a cheap pair from West Marine and they really helped. However, when I got a nice pair of Fuji's at around $500, the only response I got when people looked through them was WOW! Me too. They were worth every penny.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #26

City: hamilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
We just picked up a Bushnell 7x50 permafocus for under $100, and I am actually amazed at how well they work on the boat. No idea how the permafocus works, but it does. Certainly the best binoculars we've ever had on the boat. (But then we've never had stabilized binos on board.)
I concur with your remarks on the Bushnell Permafocus.
Picked up a pair at a marine shop in Sidney BC a few years ago while chartering a sailboat from the Sidney City marina. Beautiful sailing area and a great resort and marina at Poet's Cove.
Much different than my normal sailing on Lake Ontario.
oldsaltbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Seems all my binocs end up falling on the floor at some point in their life. That point is usually just before they go in the garbage, as they turn into side by side monoculars that are a PITA to use. I am afraid to spend the price of really good binocs, because I know they would suffer the same fate.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #28
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
they turn into side by side monoculars

Now that is funny

I love it.
SD
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have started that my backup should START as a monocular...but they ain't cheap either!!!!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsaltbob View Post
I concur with your remarks on the Bushnell Permafocus.
I've never used this kind of bino, and the Bushnell site is useless for explaining them, but this article helped: Auto Focus Binoculars
At $57 on Amazon with Prime shipping, I'll probably get a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsaltbob View Post
...and a great resort and marina at Poet's Cove.
Heck yes - my wife didn't want to leave there when we stopped in last year for a couple of days! What made it particularly nice was taking the dinghy over to Port Browning Marina and walking to the small shopping center. We passed through a sailing regatta under way at the marina, and had some excellent pub food. Highly recommended!
refugio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Some folks use binoculars to bring things closer.

We have found a WWII Navy spy glass , about 2 ft long with a huge first optic is wonderfull at anchor for examining the local area.

Even with 16 power the light gathering is so good that at dusk , and for a good while after , the shore can be observed with great clarity.

FF
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #32

City: patterson
Vessel Model: CHB 45 Pilot House
7x50 Fujenon, had for over 28 yrs, has the compas but seldom use that feature.
We have several " lighter" ones but the Fujenon is the best and it is of course rubber coated.
In use constantly.
Our experience.
charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
Guru

City: Trenton
We have two sets of Nikons. One 7X50 and one set of opera glasses. The big ones are preferable but the little ones are just as good in daylight and are usually in reach. But the big ones are sometimes worth the walk.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #34
Guru

My Steiner Commander II 7x50 binos with stabilized compass are about 10 years old. They were about $850 back then but I think prices have actually come down a bit. When I bought them the various stabilized bino options were not rated as "waterproof", whereas the Steiners are. Where they really shine is in their light transmission. Unless it is a totally black night you do not need night vision. Just a few stars give you enough light!! And the compass does come in handy from time to time. Also, they are "permafocus" which is a big convenience.
Although they are definitely better than my $80 Defender binos, the Defenders are really pretty good as well.
Only complaint with the Steiners is that the rubber case armor deteriorated over several years, though to be fair, after much griping, Steiner replaced the covering FOC.
Chris
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

Last night gusts up to 25 knots came through the bay that we and Carey are rafted in. About 0200 a couple of boats began to drag through the mooring area. One of them in particular was having problems to the point where people from a nearby sailboat had to go out in their inflatable to lend a hand. I watched the ordeal from a few hundred yards away through the Fujinon 7 x 50 Poseidons I mentioned earlier. I hadn't used these binoculars at night in a long time and I was very impressed (again) at the image quality in such low light conditions.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Last night gusts up to 25 knots came through the bay that we and Carey are rafted in. About 0200 a couple of boats began to drag through the mooring area. One of them in particular was having problems to the point where people from a nearby sailboat had to go out in their inflatable to lend a hand. I watched the ordeal from a few hundred yards away through the Fujinon 7 x 50 Poseidons I mentioned earlier. I hadn't used these binoculars at night in a long time and I was very impressed (again) at the image quality in such low light conditions.

Did you see what type of anchor the draggers were using?
dwhatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
stole my post by a nose!

bet the wind swung around on their Mansons and ARE they sorry...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Bruce like most of the powerboats around here.

And this morning we learned of a forty-something foot cruiser that dragged during the same frontal passage in another bay on the island and went up on the rocks. So we walked over there this afternoon to take a look. It looks like a Photoshop job. The boat is sitting high out of the water on the rocks, just sort of balanced there. Twin screw motoryacht of some kind-- could be any one of a number of Taiwan boats from the 80s through today. The tide was very high last night so the big question is when will it be high enough again to float the boat off?

Don't know the damage. Nothing obvious from a distance but it's hard to believe that a boat this size and weight can't be driven backwards by winds and waves onto the rocks with no damage at all. This all happened about 0200 or so. The couple who own or chartered the boat were aboard and asleep when this occurred. I guess by the time they were aware of what was happening it was too late to do anything.

I took photos but can't get them from my camera to my iPad so I'll have to post them when I get home in a day or so.

Oh, the anchor in this case? Apparebtly a Bruce as well from what other boaters we talked to said.

However in all the cases last night I suspect that the boats that had problems were on pretty short scopes because of the proximity of other boats in the fairly small and crowded bays. All the other boats stayed put and I'm sure that most of them had Bruce anchors, too. At least the powerboats.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #39

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Photo from this site mv.VikingStar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-05-28 at 7.22.54 PM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	11510  
Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #40
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I had a cheap pair from West Marine and they really helped. However, when I got a nice pair of Fuji's at around $500, the only response I got when people looked through them was WOW! Me too. They were worth every penny.
Our Fujinon Polaris 7x50s have seen 21 years of cruising so far, and people still say WOW! Some available new on eBay for $569.

"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote