Binocular Recomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolena

Guru
Vessel Name
Carolena II
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
So the only casualty from our 9-day cruise came when I accidentally knocked our binoculars off the pilot seat yesterday. We have Nikon 7x50 marine binocs that we bought in 2001 for an Alaska cruise. Waterproof, and nitrogen filled. Have been very happy with them, and when friends borrow them (including other boat owners) they are always impressed by the optics. I'm going to send them out to be repaired, but I don't want to be without, plus this trip really made me realize that my wife and I need two pairs on board so we don't have to constantly share. I'm interested in recommendations.

I've been happy with the Nikon's so I'm considering a new pair of Nikon Oceanpros, which I can get on sale right now for $212 plus shipping. Am also looking at the Steiner Marine 7x50 on sale for around $250. This is without a compass. I've never used binocs with a compass, so am open to the idea but not sure if I'll really use it. I've also heard good things about Fujinon, but have not seen them in person. No interest in image stabilization. I guess my real question is whether there is going to be much difference between the two I've mentioned above, and what benefit I would see by going to the Steiner Navigator Pro for around $370. Would prefer to keep this under $400-$500 at most, so that eliminates the Steiner Commanders.

Lastly, I've heard that some people will have one pair of 7x50s and perhaps something like an 8x30 or 8x42 as a second pair. Would that make more sense? I can get a pair of Steiner 180 Marine 8x30 right now for less than $150.

What says the group?

We have a couple different flavors of Fujinons, one being the high end Polaris with compass outside of your range, much beloved by us for the past 11 years; spectacular optics. Well within your range is the Mariner, which we have one pair without compass and one with. Other than low light conditions, it is hard to see a difference when comparing side by side. I like having a compass as it replaces the need for a hand bearing compass (or having one on the Whaler) and makes taking fixes easy.

One of the best values of all are the West Marine private label binocs when they put them on sale; we have a variety of friends with them and they are really very very good. I think they may be Fuji's and Steiners in drag depending on model, but I don't know. Realistically, you can't go wrong with Steiners, the on-sale Wests, Fujis or Nikons in your price range.

Marine 7 x 50 Magnification on Sale

http://www.westmarine.com/marine-binoculars

Last edited:
I have the first year Fujinon offered the high end binocs with compass...back in 1983 I think...still one of the best pair I have used on a bazillion commercial and rec boats.

Their light gathering is tops...

I love the compass even though the Fujinon compass I have didn't last long...the compass is very multifunctional...but the best is "look at the XYZ at 110 degrees high up in the dead tree"...very hand when your partner or crew are a little direction dysfunctional.

I have a set of Steiner 7x50 that are over 25 years old. Still going strong with no fogging. I also have a set of Fujinon stabilized binoculars. The Fujinons eat batteries and are rarely used. One nice thing about the Steiners is that you set each eyepiece once and they never need focusing.

I have the Steiner 7x50 navigator and they are extremely good, particularly in lower light situations. The compass is also very good, but I have not really had to use this feature. That said, it is very good to have should the electronics on my boat fail.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the rubber covered Steiners (Military/Marine?), they have been knocking around on various boats for the last 15 or so years. they are roughed up but work as well as new.

+1 Fujinon FMTR-SX. I've had them for years and they still work like new, and bright! :thumb:

If you are serious about a set, take a look at Canon's 15X50 IS All Weather Image stabilized pair. When approaching San Francisco Bay I could read the buoy numbers when the captain could tell the buoy colors with his 7x35's. I can read the bridge names. 1/4 of a mile away. On a moving vessel! It doesn't get any better than that. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439855785.478265.jpg

When I was an air traffic controller in the tower, we had some of the best binoculars available. Can't remember the type or model, but they were excellent quality. Today I can't afford the very best but I have a pair I'd test against any others on the market at thrice the price. Here's what I have onboard. They're available at Amazon for $129.

Oceana 7x50 Marine [item # 71189-A]

When I visited Codger2, I used his gyro stabilized binocs and was very impressed!! The stabilization allows you to see more detail without the need for great magnification. If I had no budget, I'll look for a stabilized pair.

PS: 8 x 30's don't cut it on the water in my opinion unless it it is dead calm and sunny.

The stabilized binocs (off topic now, give the OP) by Canon, Nikon and Fuji work really great, until they don't. Money no object a good set of those as mains, and a couple pairs of good 7 X 50 are an ideal combination; you'll end up using both types.

I have a couple of the rubber covered Steiners (Military/Marine?), .

Same...7x50's here. My second pair. The original pair I sold a few years back thinking I wouldn't get back into boating. They had the compass, current ones don't. I really don't miss that feature. I do love the ruggedness and design of the Steiners..... I had an 8x30 pair of Steiners that I used as a back-up...LOTs lighter but no where near the light gathering capability and field of vision of the 7x50's...but an excellent choice to supplement the bigger, heavier glass...

Last edited:
I have the Fujinon stabilized battery eaters and a basic 7x50 set as a spare. I never seem to use the backup and always keep a supply of batteries on hand. The stabilization makes all the difference to me.

I have the Steiner 7x50 navigator and they are extremely good, particularly in lower light situations. The compass is also very good, but I have not really had to use this feature. That said, it is very good to have should the electronics on my boat fail.

Ditto, but I've thoughts of purchasing the stabilized version.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Decisions, decisions . . .

I think I have narrowed it down to another pair of Nikon OceanPro (probably this time with the compass) or the Steiner Mariner. Anyone have any experience with the Steiner Mariner version? They are just a bit more than the Nikon OceanPro, so I'm wondering if I'm just paying more for the name.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate the convenience of not having to focus the Steiners.

I have steiners. good overall binocs for the price. I always leave them in the wheelhouse when i'm working so they are used by crew as well. If i spent a lot of money for a really nice pair, I would have to keep better track of them. The individual eye focus is handy because i'm near sighted in one eye, and far sighted in the other.

I have come to love the stabilized binoculars. They are expensive, but are a huge improvement and I think worth every penny. Without stabilization, 7x is about the greatest magnification that works. At that magnification, I can seldom read the name on a boat when they are still far enough away to call and arrange a pass. I'm more often on top of them before I can actually make out the name.

With stabilized binocs 14x provides a better view than 7x without stabilization. Now I can actually see things clearly when they are still far enough away to do something about it. I can't see ever going back.

As for brands, we have Fujinon and they perform very well. They are bulky, but work well. I briefly tried a friend's Canon stabilized binocs and they were much easier to handle, but my friend said he still preferred the Fujinons. Trouble is I don't remember what his reason was.

The one complaint I have about Fujinon is their service. My wife managed to drop ours, twice, so I went through the repair procedure two times, and it was a very poor experience both times. Their voice system directs you to the wrong division, nobody answers the phone, ever, and nobody returns phone calls when you leave a message. And repair time was very, very slow (order 2 months). So the binocs perform well, but whatever you do, DON'T DROP THEM.......

A friend gave us a Fujinon Mil-Spec Polaris as a present not long after we bought our PNW cabin cruiser. They are excellent binoculars but my wife doesn't care for them. She prefers the compact Nikon binoculars we bought when we bought the boat. The Fujinon has a compass but I've never used the compass for anything.

The best binoculars we've ever had from an optical standpoint is an 8-power Cabela-branded set we bought this year that sells for just under $300. They are made by one of the big names- Steiner or Fujinon or similar-- and they are outstanding. We bought them for land use.

My waterproof Bushnell 7 x 50s have been very satisfactory. B&H Photo has them for $135.00, with illuminated analog compass.

Bushnell claims they float in salt water (not fresh?), but I'm not planning to test the claim. One caveat, also from Bushnell: "Analog compass intended for use in northern hemisphere." Good to know!

See: Bushnell 7x50 Marine Binocular with Analog Compass 137500 B&H

Why I Like Having a Compass in the Binoculars

Interesting to note how many here don't use this feature. Personally I think it is one of the most valuable navigational back-up systems on the boat; and I have fun practicing its use. Here are my uses, more or less in order of priority. Before I got my big Fujinons, I carried a nice hand bearing compass , but in my opinion the binocs do the jobs better and easier, because you can pinpoint distant targets much more accurately.

1) Are we on a collision course? This is the fastest way to determine this, even vs ARPA on the radar. Yes, I know and use the old trick of lining up something like the edge of a window frame with, say a point on the railing, and the vessel in question, but boat yaw and sea condition can make that difficult, and there isn't always a handy set of things to line up.

2) Are my main boat compasses accurate? This makes it easy to DIY swing your compass and do spot checks. Stuff happens on a boat and compasses can get put off inadvertently. Binocs are easy to get away from any possible magnetic influences.

3) Where am I ? easy to figure out with pretty good accuracy by taking two or three fixes on charted objects. Also helps you tell if you are dragging or have swung on your anchor without looking at the plotter. I also kept a nice box compass a friend of mine gave me as a going away cruising gift right by my bedside for an instant read on which way the boat was pointing. Binocs with a light overhead do the same thing.

4) As psneeld mentioned, makes it very easy to hand the binocs to someone and say "hey, take a look over there at 110, what the heck is that?"

When we are out on the water, I like to scan around all the time. The 7 x 50's give a nice big picture look. When I went cruising with a buddy with as I recall 14 power stabilized binocs, I used the 7's first then the 14s if I wanted to home in.

I think I have narrowed it down to another pair of Nikon OceanPro (probably this time with the compass) or the Steiner Mariner. Anyone have any experience with the Steiner Mariner version?

We have two Steiners, one 7x50, Commander XP, presumably similar to the current Commander 7x50c model. The other is the 7x30 Navigator Pro. Both with compass. Both are excellent. And the compass feature is very useful; we use that often.

The larger succeeds the first 7x50 Steiner -- Commander with compass, something like that -- wifey bought me when we lived in Germany in the early '80s' -- also excellent glass.

Don't know the Mariner, though. I'd presume good glass.

OTOH, because I wear eyeglasses and eye relief is important... I've found when buying a binoc it helps to look through them first before buying.

Don't underestimate the convenience of not having to focus the Steiners.

Yep, exactly! As useful as the compass!

-Chris

A different perspective. I mostly use Nikon 10 x 30, but also have Canon 8 x 22 and as well as Eddie Bauer 10 x 50. The advantage of the little ones is that you can basically wear them without really noticing the weight.

I'll test some Steiner 7 x 50 when I get a chance but suspect that if I add to my inventory it will be with some higher power stabilized ones. My eyes are good (except for reading) and to me magnification power is king!

I have come to love the stabilized binoculars. .
Me too! I have what the doctor calls an "Essential Tremor" and I'd be totally screwed if it were not for my Cannon Stabilized Binocs. They are absolutely terrific! I've had them for about 4 years and they were around $400 at the time. When I push the button, everything is dead still...nothing like it anywhere. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The 7X50s are all about light gathering and just the right amount of magnifying to be of use on a moving vessel....believe me...they are a standard for a reason.

The good ones are 1/2 way to inexpensive night vision devices with how good they are.

There are other combinations of power and light gathering optic combinations other than 7X50...but usually not for handheld on smaller vessels.

I have used the smaller compact binocs with great success in back waters where very calm..but 7X50 is still regarded as the best average.

While an invaluable tool...with the advent of GPS...binocs aren't nearly the tool of navigation that they were 20 years ago...but recreation they are invaluable.

That's why I love the compass feature...point and shoot to the number for the peron you are dealing with.

... to me magnification power is king!

My feeling exactly. Historically, usable magnification has been limited by how steady you can hold the glasses. 7x seems to be the practical limit.

With stabilized glasses you can easily go to 14x and still have a steadier image than with 7x handheld. It makes a huge difference in how early/far away you can identify another boat, a marker's numbering, a deadhead, a crab trap vs a sea gull, etc., etc..

When I visited Codger2, I used his gyro stabilized binocs and was very impressed!! The stabilization allows you to see more detail without the need for great magnification. If I had no budget, I'll look for a stabilized pair.
Actually, the Cannons were the least expensive when I went shopping.....I'd forgotten all about AL's visit on board and using the Cannons.. Getting old is a bitch! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Me too! I have what the doctor calls an "Essential Tremor" and I'd be totally screwed if it were not for my Cannon Stabilized Binocs. They are absolutely terrific! I've had them for about 4 years and they were around $400 at the time. When I push the button, everything is dead still...nothing like it anywhere. :rolleyes:

I have Essential tremor also not real bad at this point my father also has it pretty bad I have a older Nikon stabilized and have to send them in for the 2nd time to get repaired

When they work they are great

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Last night, we ordered a pair of Steiner Navigator Pro 7x50. For the type of boating we do, stabilized isn't really necessary. I decided to forego the compass, but may get an inexpensive monocular later with a compass. My wife and I have been boating together since the 90s, and have never felt a need for one, so I just couldn't really justify the extra $150 for the compass. Nor could I justify the significant increase in price to go with the Commanders. Looking forward to trying these out. I wear glasses, but usually take them off when using the binocs because I like the eye cups up close to block out light. For that reason, the set and forget Steiner focus seemed to make a lot of sense. Once the Nikons are repaired, they will be my wife's primary pair, and I'll use the Steiners. Again, thanks for all the real world experience. This is is part of what makes this forum great! I'll report back once I have a chance to put some miles on them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom