Bigger IS Better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Our cottage Sat TV suffers from a neighbors huge trees , right in the line to the sat.

At best we see 60 as a reading , and when it rains , almost nothing.

The antenna is small, would finding a bigger Direct TV antenna on craigs list help solve this hassle?

Line of sight is king. My folks had a similar issue but their cottage was on property so 200 yards of cable and a 4" pipe set in concrete up the hill solved the problem.

We have direct TV dish mounted on a 4' X 4' plywood sitting on the salon roof. When it rains hard the picture freezes and/or looses reception. I keep the boat tied extra tied to the dock so there is little play/swing. Winds gusts above 30 mph that hit us broad side tend to rock us to much.

So line of sight is important but so is no movement!

We use Dish Network. At home, even though we are "looking" through trees, never had a problem even in rain. On the boat, we have an Intellian i2, and no problems even rolling around at anchor.

Bigger dish? Or a chainsaw? Just sayin'. :)

I took a chance and spent $8 on an HDTV over the air antenna to be able to watch TV while at the dock in Seattle. I was a little skeptical of the quality for that price, but when it arrived I was very pleased with it and installed it on the TV in the salon. The auto channel function found 32 channels, many that are crystal clear HD, all for free, except for the $8 antenna that is small enough to fit inside the TV cabinet and out of sight. While we don't watch TV while away on a trip, it is nice to have it at the dock and anywhere near Seattle, such as on a buoy at Blake Island.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom