Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #81
Scraping Paint
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
RE: Battery Wire

" I guess I seem to have lost this one, but there are more ahead."

You haven't lost anything. It looks like you got a great buy on good wire and hopefully learned something in the process. No one ever said that tinned wire was bad, just that it is not a requirement and surveyors who say it is should be thrown off the boat immediately.

Take those two lessons and move on.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #82
City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I suppose you're right. This tinned wire is just as cheap, if not cheaper, than some of the non-tinned prices I have found.

Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #83

psneeld wrote:
*I wonder what people call a "good" survey?.....* Every one I have ever had or heard about missed major things and concentrated on little things that insurance companies love to think are important while the rest of the boat is a disaster.

*I've had a couple of good surveys. One called for a remote propane valve, cleaning the bilge, replacing some hoses and something else very minor. He was able to do some testing, percussive and moisture, that I couldn't do. I already knew most every little item he found to need work and I had the boat for another 15 years without major problems.

For me, a good survey is one that finds problems, in particular finds all those that you already know about,*and gives a seasoned second opinion on the boat. If I had problems with the boat 2 years after the survey then I probably wouldn't feel as good about it.

2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #84
City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Battery Wire

RickB wrote:
Fiberglass is a composite material, glass fiber reinforced plastic.

Unless your boat is rotomolded thermoplastic, metal, or wood without metallic frames, chances are pretty good it is a composite boat, cored or not.
Good catch Rick. You are correct,*fiberglass hulls are a composite of fiberglass fabrics (cloth, mat, roving) and a resin.**I meant to say a cored Fiberglass hull, not composite.* Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

The previous three surveys I had were great.* He pointed out some issues that could come back to bite me, construction debris (small wood blocks,* bits of wood and sawdust) left under the aft cabin floor that would eventually work it's way down to the bildge pumps.* Unfortunately he passed away and I didn't have any knowledge of the other two surveyors in town.* I had a 50 - 50 chance and I chose badly.* I should have talked to the Yacht dealers in town first.

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Monday 6th of February 2012 08:55:17 PM

Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote