Old 03-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Name: Lady Maria
Vessel Model: 1987 CT 35 Sundeck
House battery bank

Interested in hearing what sort of battery bank set up folks are using. My house bank is tired and I’m developing a plan for the replacement.

Tbtapper
87 CT 35 sundeck
tbtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #2

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Hi TB

We have two 4D AGMs = 400ah capacity. I would like to have a third one but don't really have the space. OTOH we have 450w of solar charging capability, which is great. I encourage you to consider solar if you are designing a new house bank system. Good luck.

David
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post
Interested in hearing what sort of battery bank set up folks are using. My house bank is tired and I’m developing a plan for the replacement.

Tbtapper
87 CT 35 sundeck
What do you have now?

I have 4, 6v L16 AGM batteries. Each battery is rated at 390AH, so with two of them in series and each set parallel, I have a nominal 780AH bank.

The batteries I used were US Battery: USAGML16. I ordered them out of Metroplex Batteries in Dallas Tx. They had them on sale at the time so were a lot less expensive, only $347 each.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #4

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
from a previous post:

in 2008 I remade my house bank with Fullriver 6v units as shown.

My boat does not have a generator.

Charging is handled by a large frame 200amp alternator with smart regulation, or at the dock by a 75A IOTA charger.

We typically are out 45-60 days during the summer in the PNW.

Anchoring 95% of the time.

The bank is sized to allow up to 5 days at anchor without starting the main.

I don't keep track of the number or exact depth of discharge prior to a recharge, but it is rare that it is less than 75%.

The bank is now 9 years old and as far as I can tell it performs the same as the day it was installed.

In 2008, Fullriver was just arriving in the mainstream, so it was a bit of a gamble, but I had found some fairly re-assuring comments from battery guru's in the know.

YMMV
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12 chargine.pdf (30.8 KB, 72 views)
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
8 6v Trojan T105 golf cart batteries (open lead acid). 960AH of capacity, but rarely draw them below 80%. For charging I have a second alternator (220 amp Leece Neville) with a Sterling external 3 stage regulator and a Magnum Energy 130 amp inverter / battery charger. I can go 2 days without recharging depending on microwave use. 4 hours of cruising has the battery back to float charge.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
I have 8 L16 lead acid batteries. My batteries live in the vented engine room so I see no need for AGMs. This gives me 1460 amp/hrs. I never worry about what was left on all night.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I have 4 x 120 AH AGM batteries. It keeps my electrical requirements going for 4+ days without charging.

I went with AGM batteries when I decided to move them to an unvented area, to give me better engine access. I don't miss FLA batteries at all.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshanafelt View Post
from a previous post:

in 2008 I remade my house bank with Fullriver 6v units as shown.

My boat does not have a generator.

Charging is handled by a large frame 200amp alternator with smart regulation, or at the dock by a 75A IOTA charger.

We typically are out 45-60 days during the summer in the PNW.

Anchoring 95% of the time.

The bank is sized to allow up to 5 days at anchor without starting the main.

I don't keep track of the number or exact depth of discharge prior to a recharge, but it is rare that it is less than 75%.

The bank is now 9 years old and as far as I can tell it performs the same as the day it was installed.

In 2008, Fullriver was just arriving in the mainstream, so it was a bit of a gamble, but I had found some fairly re-assuring comments from battery guru's in the know.

YMMV

That is a really nice setup. Have you ever considered adding some solar to extend your time past 5 days?

Also, silly question but why do you list the total AH as 1344 instead of 1350?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Eight USA 305 6-volt AGMs. These are deep-cycle floor sweeper batts, about the same footprint as a GC and shorter than an L16. Each pair is 312 AH, for a total bank of 1,248 AH. Magnum MS 2800 pure sine wave inverter/charger. Modified Delco 100-amp alternators with Balmar 614 external regulators, Centerfielder and Duo-charge. Charles 50-amp Iso-Boost transformer. So far, so good.

Sorry, I don’t have any pix of the final install.
Attached Thumbnails
5D208C1A-7AF3-4ECA-9F89-19C566E280BD.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #10
Guru

Angus99, I still think that is a beautiful installation. It provided the inspiration for my own battery bank. Mine is only half the size however.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
FF
Guru

With no refrigeration loads on the battery bank a pair of NAPA *8D works for us.

Truck batts not real deep cycle , but about 1/2 & 1/2 .

A single 8D works fine at anchor for 3-5 days , with enough left to start the 6-71 with ease.

The simplest way to great battery life is to reduce the loads .

FW pump, bilge propane sniffer , range propane valve, AM-FM car radio , 10 Inch TV, and multiple lights are most of our load.

A 1750w inverter is fine for some re heating , we cook with propane.

Anchor light is LED in Perko housing for over 20 meters boat. Still not a bad draw.

One 85W solar helps bring daytime charging , on sunny days.

KISS does work ,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #12
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I will probably move to carbon foam batteries this summer. Take a look at firefly oasis. Now I have two 8d AGM, which is not enough. I figure 4 to 6 group 31 firefly will be enough.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #13
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post

We have two large dual-purpose banks, and each runs approx half of the house loads and starts one main engine (Cummins 6CTAs)... and there's a parallel switch to augment that if necessary.

One bank is now 4x 6V Lifeline GPL-4CT AGMs (GC2s) in series/parallel for nominal 440-Ah capacity. That bank is connected to an inverter/charger, and the inverter services the house "AC outlet" loads: microwave (short bursts), coffee maker, TV and stereo, etc.

The other bank is 3x 12V Odyssey PC-2150 AGMs (G31s) for nominal 300-Ah capacity.

Both banks also service an AC/DC fridge, in DC mode when the genset isn't running or we're not on shorepower.

The set-up is largely space and geometry constrained. The current Lifeline bank was previously 3x Odysseys... which worked well, but predates the inverter... until I figured out a way to put 4x GC2s in not much more space than the 3x G31s... while still leaving a sliver of space for the separate genset battery.

-Chris
Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Had the yard replace the wet cell house batteries on my 24v set up last fall with 12 8AGC2M AGM 6 volt batteries at a nice $288.00 each!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #15

City: Norfolk
Vessel Name: Tarka
Vessel Model: Lyman-Morse 38 fly
Angus99 Im looking to redo mine as well and like you look. I think i can configure it like yours. What kind of tie down are you using.
Willo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Hilton Head Island
Vessel Name: Lady Maria
Vessel Model: 1987 CT 35 Sundeck
Great info, thanks all. Some very I,pressive setups, maybe a little out of my realm but some good ideas to work with👍 Thanks
tbtapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #17
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
If you do a quick little search, there are a TON of threads about the subject 'round deez here parts. I am a big fan of 6V golf cart batteries (I have 8) with three Group 27's (12V) to crank the motors. Do yourself a favor and don't just do a 1-for-1 replacement of the batteries. If you have an older boat, get a kick-a$$ crimping tool and shrink to upgrade the wires, switches, and superfluous connections to all things in the battery's world.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #18
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have two grp 29 flooded deep cycle batteries for about 220 amp-hr capacity. All I use electricity for is to run the bilge pumps, lights (all LED), pressure water pump, the Webasto heater (only run in the Spring and Fall) and the refrigeration that I leave on 24/7. I don't have shore power so I rely on my solar array to keep the batteries charged. So far, so good, but it has only been 7 seasons so far.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:49 AM   #19
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I have 4 Lifeline 125AH AGM batteries. They are about two years old. They also run the bow thruster so they get a lot of exercise, but are holding up well it appears.

I have a Balmar Smartgauge battery monitoring system that keeps a good eye on the discharge status.

I also have a 8wk generator, and don’t stay out on the hook long yet, but eventually I would like to upgrade to some solar and maybe 6V batteries? to get more “hook time”.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 PM   #20
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Thanks, Dave and Will O.

WO, I’m using heavy duty ratchet tie downs and D-rings bolted through the platform. Each battery is nested between oak 1 X 1s glued and screwed every four inches. They can’t shift sideways and the straps hood them down with a lot of pressure. I have a wooden top that fits over the bank, but haven’t decided if I’ll use it. I still have some wiring to do in this area, so it’s still pretty messy.
Attached Thumbnails
80BAA295-67FB-4F1B-8A96-14B68A3B8E2A.jpg   8628B562-32F7-4D73-A111-DCFAFA424CC4.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote