Which Battery Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forkliftt wrote:

Hope this makes sense-

Not even a little.
confuse.gif

Steve thanks for the explanation.* I figured it was something like that as the there was a delay between pushing the start button and the time it took for the start to turn over. So it came back with the second external installed.* Now the starter turns over right away.****If either*the 671 or the gen set does not start in 5 seconds somthing is wrong.*

Phil,
Glad to help. BTW- it's great to see you on the forum. The site has really taken off. It's great to see participation from so many parts of the country and so many parts of the world
smile.gif

A few little update:

I talked to the "new" starter guy today (not the guy that originally rebuilt it... a new guy). Apparently, the "stop lock" (?) that prevents over-extension of the bendix (?) was not replace when it was rebuild in New Bern. This, according to him, could easily be the source of my starter's hyperthyroidism. So he replaced that and slapped on a new soliniod. It all cost about $40

He has built us a new gear reduction starter that should give us a more powerful starter motor in a smaller package. We have been talking about having a spare for a while now, so we'll likely retire the old Delco down to the ranks of the backup unit and use the new one as the primary. Cost is about $200. (and like any good boater... replace the most expensive part first and work your way down to the cheap fixes)

Finally, Forkliftt sent me his phone number via Private Message and I called him today. He was a joy to speak with and gave me a few voltage tests to do before bringing the new starter online. Just as a quick checkup to make sure the rest of the system is good-ish to go. Thanks for your time!

I still plan on putting a switch between the battery's positive terminal and the starter. But it has been put on the back burner for the time being.

Of course, even the most awesome starter can't start an engine whose fuel system is spread out on the dining room floor...
biggrin.gif

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 10:02:37 PM

GonzoF1 wrote:

A few little update:

I talked to the "new" starter guy today (not the guy that originally rebuilt it... a new guy). Apparently, the "stop lock" (?) that prevents over-extension of the bendix (?) was not replace when it was rebuild in New Bern. This, according to him, could easily be the source of my starter's hyperthyroidism. So he replaced that and slapped on a new soliniod. It all cost about $40

He has built us a new gear reduction starter that should give us a more powerful starter motor in a smaller package. We have been talking about having a spare for a while now, so we'll likely retire the old Delco down to the ranks of the backup unit and use the new one as the primary. Cost is about $200. (and like any good boater... replace the most expensive part first and work your way down to the cheap fixes)

I still plan on putting a switch between the battery's positive terminal and the starter. But it has been put on the back burner for the time being.

Of course, even the most awesome starter can't start an engine whose fuel system is spread out on the dining room floor...
biggrin.gif

Tom-

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 10:02:37 PM

Tom,

I'm glad you got this sorted out but I think it was suggested several weeks ago by me and at least one other person to just get a new starter and be done with it.* All of the indicators pointed to a bad starter.* New, rebuilt or not.

On the same note I think you are wasting time, energy and money to put a switch in that may turn out to*be more of a problem than you want.* There are thousands of boats with starters*that do not have*such a*switch.* There is a reason for that, they are not needed.

Put the new starter in and enjoy you boat.

BTW the fuel system looks really neat. Good luck with that.*

How are you liking the drive down to the new marina?

The drive time is the same... The distance is just a tad further... But I-40 is a pretty boring road thru Duplin and Pender counties. I mean, jeez... even a few billboards would be nice to break up the featureless view. ZZZzzzzzz.....___ Still, it's totally worth it so far. While it's too cold to boat (and while my fuel system is all over my dining room floor
biggrin.gif
) there is so much more interesting things to do in ILM that EWN. Yes, we miss the sense of family and community at NWCM, but once Spring breaks, we'll have more people at Joyner. Both residents and transients. And short of getting burglarized on New Year's Eve, we love the new place.

GonzoF1 wrote:

The drive time is the same... The distance is just a tad further... But I-40 is a pretty boring road thru Duplin and Pender counties. I mean, jeez... even a few billboards would be nice to break up the featureless view. ZZZzzzzzz....._

Boring for sure.

Yes, we miss the sense of family and community at NWCM, but once Spring breaks, we'll have more people at Joyner. Both residents and transients. And short of getting burglarized on New Year's Eve, we love the new place.
There haven't been many at the creek for the past couple of months either.* Aside from the New Years party that group out on E & F hasn't been around.

Glad you are enjoying the new marina.* Maybe sometime this summer we will wonder down or we can meet at Wrightsville.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom